• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and my keyboard: simple question from a beginner

Share/Bookmark

GPO and my keyboard: simple question from a beginner

Hi. This is probably an easy question, but is it possible to somehow load the instruments of GPO onto a keyboard? I ask this because I have only used GPO in conjunction with Finale 2006 as a hobbyist, but recently bought a keyboard to start learning to play piano. Though the voices on the keyboard are pretty good (its a Yamaha), I prefer some of the sounds from GPO and was wondering if I could somehow transfer them to be played on the Yamaha.

Cheers!

Re: GPO and my keyboard: simple question from a beginner

Welcome to the forum, breanainneire

Yes you can but i'm not sure how to turn that on without starting hyperscribe.

The way i do it is connect the usb cable from keyoard to my computer,
    then i open finale,
    start a file (it does not have to have more than one instrument),
    then click on hyperscribe,
    click on the stave,

and it plays whatever instrument that was loaded onto that stave,

the keyboard will continue to play that instrument, even after you stop the hyperscribe.

You can also change the instrument of that stave in kontakt player, and the keyboard will play whatever it you load on it.

There is probably a better way to do that, i don't know, but that way works.

You'll have to first go to the yamaha.com site and download and install the drivers for that keyboard.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    The way i do it is connect the usb cable from keyoard to my computer,
    There is probably a better way to do that i don't know.
    After this part, you should be able to open the Kontact 2 player (download it if it isn't part of your version of GPO - look under the "support - technical" part of the forum for how to download it -or- you can use the garritan Studio app). Set up your instrument in the Kontact player and play your keyboard. If it is set up right, it should sound.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hey breanainneire,

First off, welcome to Northern Sounds! I hope you'll hang around here often as it's one of the finest communities dedicated to audio production on the web.

Now to your question: Unfortunately you cannot load GPO into the Yamaha. The GPO sounds run through computer-specific software and take up a sizeable portion of space (~2GB). The Yamaha isn't programmed to play GPO and even if it were there would not be enough space in the unit. Its factory bank is probably around 32MB in size. Most hardware units can't play software-based samples. The only exceptions are the Muse Receptor and the Korg Oasys, which are designed to load software programs and are very expensive.

However, you can play the sounds of GPO through your keyboard--it just needs to be hooked up to your computer. GPO responds to MIDI commands, which your Yamaha should be able to transmit. If you have a MIDI input on your soundcard or can pick up one of these, than you can hook the computer up to Finale or the Standalone version of GPO and get it playing back! The delay between when you hit the key and the sound response depends on your soundcard (latency), though there are affordable upgrades to resolve an issue you may have there.

Let us know if this is an option you want to explore and we'll do our best to walk you through setup.

Best,
    Reegs

Thumbs up Re: GPO and my keyboard: simple question from a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    After this part, you should be able to open the Kontact 2 player (download it if it isn't part of your version of GPO - look under the "support - technical" part of the forum for how to download it -or- you can use the garritan Studio app). Set up your instrument in the Kontact player and play your keyboard. If it is set up right, it should sound.
    Thanks Trent, i'll give that a whirl.

Thanks everyone. I understand what I have to do now. It's just too bad I don't have a laptop to make the process easier.

Hi, breanainneire

I was reading through this thread with interest, because I was surprised you were being told at first that you Could load GPO into a keyboard - Then I understood that Leaf was describing one way to be using Finale for a host for GPO, so you could trigger the instruments without actually making a project file. That would work with any DAW software also, even the free ones.

But that's exactly what the "stand alone" Kontact Player 2 is for, as Reegs explained in his detailed reply. That is very straight forward and easy - You want your new keyboard hooked up to your computer, so that part shouldn't be a hassle. To leave your keyboard separate from the computer would be pretty much a waste of resources.

"...It's just too bad I don't have a laptop to make the process easier..."

Why would that be easier--? Because you could more easily have a computer closer to your keyboard? There could be a room space problem I'm not getting - But I feel you should have your keyboard as close to your computer as you need to have them hooked up.

I do get that you'd like to just turn the keyboard on and practice without turning a lot of other things on, but the routine of firing up a few things to get nicer sounds to practice with will be worth it, I'm sure.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum