• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The full post of "On the cusp of Insanity"

Share/Bookmark

The full post of "On the cusp of Insanity"

This is the entire piece. The 2nd and 3rd have not been posted before.

The entire piece runs around 22 minutes for those who have the time and the inclination, I think the piece makes the most sense when listened thru in one sitting.

1st movement
    http://www.box.net/shared/dnrmeho004

2nd Movement
    http://www.box.net/shared/whcioebcwk

3rd movement
    http://www.box.net/shared/gysjstrokc

For those who only have time for one movement, I suggest this one.
    4th Movement
    http://www.box.net/shared/m4zxzp0z2y

Doing this piece was a catharsis for me and I am glad it is finally over. Any comments will be much appreciated.

Ron

Re: The full post of "On the cusp of Insanity"

Thanks, Ron

Now I've heard all the movements in one sitting as you would prefer, and the cumulative effect is strong.

I can hear how this would be a cathartic experience for you. Hearing the piece as a whole makes a strong impression of catharsis by the time the 4th movement concludes.

There's a relentless quality to the "insanity" which emerges in what you wrote. It's not the kind of insanity which is sporadic, with unpleasant surprises at unpredictable times. Instead it's omnipresent and enveloping, maybe even smothering.

I think I said this before, but hearing it all at once now, I was surprised again at how the individual movements keep resolving to rather solid resolutions. I kept expecting more of a feeling of suspension rather than resolution. I think that could be an element of the "method in your madness."

More than before, I could hear the dawning light of escape in the ending part of part 4. A sense of "older but wiser" emergence.

I have no idea how wide an audience would let this music in. But I don't think that was a concern of yours. I do think that anyone who gives themselves up to it for the piece's 20 minutes duration will know by the end of it that they have gone somewhere - though they may not know exactly where. I hope there are people who go on the journey with you and send up a flare when they emerge.

Applause to you, Ron, on the conclusion of this work.

Randy B.

Randy

I do appreciate this as I think you know. Asking anyone to listen to 22 minutes of anyone's music is a lot to ask and That is why I didn't ask. I beliefvfe a few will and they will understand me a little better. The 4th movement when listened to alone, doesn't really show the final outcome of my journey. The freedom that is shown in the 4th, can only be reached by going the entire distance.

I can see that you saw that and I thank you for traveling the road with me.

I am still working on trying to get the 4th movement of Victory to sound right and it is taking a lot longer than I thought it would. I am almost having to rewrite the entire piece just because I am using a different sound library. Gotta love sibelius for that.

Thanks again

Ron

The snow has me shut down today so I had the time to listen to all four movements.

It does take you on a journey and it's a pretty strange one.

I'm not sure exactly what your trying to say but maybe just prying into ones own mind and experiencing being on the edge.

Phil

I just finished the fourth movement. What a journey it was. Interesting how much more triumphant the end of the fourth movement sounded after listening to the whole thing. I guess it was “Hey! I made it!” (not me the listener, you the composer made it). (After writing this I reread your posts and I see where you said the freedom of the fourth movement is only achieved after getting through the other three – I think you are totally right there – the message was much clearer and louder after hearing the first three movements.)

Over all I liked it. The movements fit well together and told a cohesive story. It wasn’t always an easy story to listen to….
    Trent P. McDonald

Phil

You must be up in the mountains there to get any snow. I lived outside of Seattle for about 6 months, from july to dec and never saw it snow. Lots of rain of course. But I have made the trip down thru Snoqualmie pass many a time since then and saw a lot of snow up there then.

This piece is just to try to explain to myself the insanity I dealt with thru 10 years of marriage to an insane woman. The celebration at the ending was the end of the marriage.

I hope you were happy to get a snow day off, and thanks for the listen and the comments.

Trent

A lot of pieces stand alone very easily. The 1st movement of Beethoven's 5th is immortal, but few would know (except for us diehard Ludwig fans) how the other movements go.

I think the 4th movement of this works by itself, but to understand the release that the 4th brings, you have to go thru the first 3. I am glad that you also see that. I think it makes the 4th so much more powerful.

Thank you both for taking the time to listen to all 4. It really means a lot!!

Ron

EDit Please do not misconstrue my comments by thinking that I was comparing myself to the Master, Beethoven. I was simply trying to say that some movements can be by them selves and make sense, while others require the proper background to be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    This piece is just to try to explain to myself the insanity I dealt with thru 10 years of marriage to an insane woman. The celebration at the ending was the end of the marriage.
    Oh, I see. I spent a few years with one myself. I think schizophrenia runs in that family. One of my daughter's cousins suffers from it. He ended up in jail(called 911 for no reason) and an institution for some time. Strangely, my ex,her parents and two brothers all died within a few years of each other.

Phil

I have finished listening to all four movements, in one sitting. I should caution, however, that my already absurd perceptions may be compromised by an impending cold.

I stand by my earlier comments about the first movement. I have spent the last three years trying to write in and listen to more modern-sounding music, although I've only taken baby footsteps thus far. So I'll simply repeat what I said before: rather pleasant, mostly conventional with sometimes an almost hymnal flavor, sometimes with a hint of American folk music (my favorite part). Mostly the music just flows along with just enough disturbances to keep me awake.

The 2nd movement took me, in the first two minutes, first to a theatre where some modern piece is about to be performed, then to a church and finally the countryside. The dissonances starting at 3:22 were rather delicious.

The 3rd: Finally, a little of the expected "insanity" appears, but a very timid appearance it is. The extra bite given by the dissonances adds interest to the otherwise fine contrapuntal writing. The part at about 2:42 was especially nice. The rhythmic spice at about 5:12 was much appreciated but much too short.

Overall, the first three movements have a very similar style and tempo to them and coupled with the lack of variety to GPO attacks, the strings are getting grating.

The 4th movements finally welcomes in the relief of some rhythmic drive. The part about 5:00 gets particularly interesting. Overall, the 4th is a magnificent movement, easily the most engrossing. However, what I hear in the movement, especially in the climatic finale, is the bliss of finally succumbing to the insanity ...

Take Care,
    YBaCuO

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    Oh, I see. I spent a few years with one myself. I think schizophrenia runs in that family. One of my daughter's cousins suffers from it. He ended up in jail(called 911 for no reason) and an institution for some time. Strangely, my ex,her parents and two brothers all died within a few years of each other.

Phil
    Phil

My ex was manic depressive. Although at times I also think she was schizophrenic. It sounds like you also made your escape. Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO

Overall, the first three movements have a very similar style and tempo to them and coupled with the lack of variety to GPO attacks, the strings are getting grating.

The 4th movements finally welcomes in the relief of some rhythmic drive. The part about 5:00 gets particularly interesting. Overall, the 4th is a magnificent movement, easily the most engrossing. However, what I hear in the movement, especially in the climatic finale, is the bliss of finally succumbing to the insanity ...

Take Care,
    YBaCuO
    YBaCuO

I composed these way before I had GPO and had very few options as to what types of attacks I could do. I also composed these without really having any idea of what I was doing, Since then I have done a bit of studying and a lot more composing and am learning what I am doing very slowly, but I am learning.

I also think the 4th is the most pleasing of the 4 and find your take of

...the bliss of finally succumbing to the insanity ...

To be a great way to look at it.

Thank you much for taking the time to wade thru the piece and to leave such a great comment!!

Ron

Ron,

I have been listening on the installment plan, and have now just listened to the 2nd and 3rd movements. As I said of the other movements, the writing is very strong, and the piece(s) stand up well without the title/program - a good thing. You are able to move effortlessly between a expanded tonal language and a diatonic one - quite a feat!

2nd movement - one small quibble: I thought the tonal resolution/ending was too short; we arrive at the destination, and we're done. I would have liked to spend a little more time in that "area".

3rd movement - I like this movement a lot. My question is that it seems too much like the pace of the 2nd movement - or at least I was expecting something faster, so this may be more an issue of my expectations, rather than your dramatic arc. And it probably makes more sense in a straight through listening. And I'd say the same thing about the ending: once you arrive at the tonal/consonant end point, it would be nice to extend the time there.

But these are small observations, and I don't want them appear that I don't like this work: I do, and quite a lot. You have taken a personal chapter in your life, and turned it into an impressive public utterance. Not easy to write, and not easy to expose yourself. Congratulations on being able to do both!

All the best in the New Year.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast