• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Armada!

Share/Bookmark

Armada!

Hi Everyone

Wrayer (Bill) made a great suggestion last week for a new Listening Room composition challenge, which received tremendously positive feedback from the many who responded. For this challenge, participants would write thematic-type music for an existing well-known movie, or possibly a ficticious one; kind of like doing a practice "spec" piece, in a way.

With this in mind, I put together what I think would be an example of what Bill has proposed. Since I -- for whatever reason -- am drawn to "high seas" type movies (like Treasure Island) and also really like classical Spanish music, I combined those two for this example.

This then, is "spec" theme music for a ficticious movie about the Spanish Armada. It's in your face "here-we-come-in-our-big-tall-sailing-ships-to-kick-your-butt" music (so crank it up a little!), with some change of pace romantic/melancholic stuff thrown in, with a Spanish tint to it (hopefully).

This is all Garritan stuff except for: an Absynth impact drum packaged in Kontakt2, MusicLab RealGuitar, and... a sample, to my own amazement, I sampled myself and actually made it work (for another project, actually, but it fit in well here) -- it's a brake drum/anvil type sound that I recorded into SoundForge (it's a brake drum from an '89 Volvo DL -- I kid you not).

-GPO: oboe, English Horn, contrabassoon, solo trumpets, trombones, bass trombone, lots of French horns, tuba, full string section, timpani, cymbals, gongs, crotales (detuned a ton)
    -CMB: trumpet section, trombone section, sarrusaphone (my new favorite!), VDL snare drum lines (two sections of 'em, one section detuned down quite a bit), tom, and impact drums, VDL gong
    -JABB: trumpet 2 and 5 (for that Spanish,matadorish, macho trumpet stuff), acoustic guitar

This is very much stepping out of my realm (well, if I even have a realm), but I thought I'd give it a shot in support of Bill's great idea.

Thanks for listening! http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Armada.mp3

Danny

Re: Armada!

Danny

Looks like I get to be first to say WOW!!!

Sort of a departure from your usual, yet your style is written inside of it.

I loved the beginning and love the brake drum. In real life when I used to play music with my friends, (they are all either dead or in jail now), my drum set was made up of pots and pans and collanders and anything I could find that had a unique sound to it. I used some auto parts but never thought of using a brake drum, whch now thinking about it, makes the most sense.

I'd say you achieved your goal of composing something cinematic and I am happy I am the first to say so.

Well Done

Ron

This was fun to listen to. Do did an excellent job on it.

What I imagined was that I was being pursued by a ship full of beautiful women pirates who forced me to surrender my ship and the music at the end pretty well tells you what happened next.

I love fantasy music too.

Phil

Danny:
    Let me second rolifer's WOW! I could see the boats, the flags, the cannons and their discharges, et.al. By George, I do believe you've got it!

Those sounds are amazing and the scraping of the finger on the guitar blows me away.

You have presented us (me, anyway) with a problem; who the h--- wants to try to follow that????

Whew------

sos

Here is yet another WOW! As Mr. Burns (The Simpsons) would say...EXCELLENT!

You could hold your own in the film music writing business, Mr. Danny. This is a fun and entertaining listen. Your transitions were very good.

I'll say it again: What a talented composer you are!

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Good heavens!! This piece really jumps from my monitors, breaking down the walls, terrorizing my ears in a pleasant way. Those three characters W.O.W. just bounced off my desk........ what a inventive choice of instruments and the use of them. Really great.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Danny

Looks like I get to be first to say WOW!!!

Sort of a departure from your usual, yet your style is written inside of it.

I loved the beginning and love the brake drum. In real life when I used to play music with my friends, (they are all either dead or in jail now), my drum set was made up of pots and pans and collanders and anything I could find that had a unique sound to it. I used some auto parts but never thought of using a brake drum, whch now thinking about it, makes the most sense.

I'd say you achieved your goal of composing something cinematic and I am happy I am the first to say so.

Well Done

Ron
    Ron,

First let me say that I am SO glad that you escaped the same fate as your friends!

Believe it or not, brake drum has become somwhat of a staple in the "exotic" auxilliary percussion arsenal. There are a number of symphonic band pieces that use it, and I certainly can't take credit for discovering its usefulness in that way. I was just happy that I created an actual, viable sample!

Thanks for your "WOW", Ron; I certainly appreciate your responses to my posts here and very much admire the music you've been offering us as well.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    This was fun to listen to. Do did an excellent job on it.

What I imagined was that I was being pursued by a ship full of beautiful women pirates who forced me to surrender my ship and the music at the end pretty well tells you what happened next.

I love fantasy music too.
    Thanks, Phil! That's quite a scene you imagined!!
    And... well...what did happen next?? (Wait... maybe we don't want to know )

I appreciate your response very much. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Danny

ROFL! "here-we-come-in-our-big-tall-sailing-ships-to-kick-your-butt" music!

Indeed!

Danny, you ever decide to quit your day job, Hollywood could definitely use
    you at the, er, musical helm of a few movies.

Aside from the obvious WOW factor, as always, you've busted away for a
    wonderful contrasting section (the slower work in the center) in this; and
    I like that gentle Spanish-flavored closer.

This'd definitely work well as a "spec" template; all the nuts and bolts you
    need to score a whole movie are in this, I think.

Much enjoyed -- several times, in fact! I kind of wish you'd do a second
    movement, though... borrow from that slow segment and develop it?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Sounds great. The contrasting sections work well here. I think in the opening section some male chorus interjections would work well. OK, maybe a little cliché-ish, but would give it that Hollywood pirate movie sound. Spanish guitar ending works great.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast