• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2007 + GPO = heart attack

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Finale 2007 + GPO = heart attack

Hi guys,

First off, I've been browsing these forums for quite some time and I'm always impressed to see how helpful you all are. But now, I'm the one needing help...

I have had Finale 2007 (with GPO-Finale addition installed) for a year now. I just got a copy of Personal Orchestra; I know what an amazing product it is, but I can't seem to get it to work on my PC.

I installed GPO without a problem. However, now, when I open Finale 07, I get "Failed to start VST engine. VST services are unavailable." Quite frusterating. Seemingly, as a result, my system's sound dies.

After a computer restart, all seems fine. I open Finale. I create a new file using the Setup Wizard. GPO library instruments appear as they should. Then, when the document opens, it claims that it cannot find "KontaktPlayer2".

I'm dying here! I simply cannot wait to use GPO, but someone in the underworld of computers is playing games with me .

Oh well, I guess I can deal with the default MIDI sounds for now. Hey, music is music. Even if it sounds like a 1980s video game.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Chris

EDIT: new update - latest error says "Missing requested plugin: Konktakt Player 2 for bank #1." So tempermental!

Re: Finale 2007 + GPO = heart attack

/ oops, hopefully the fact that I posted this thread in the wrong forum will evoke pity and not anger. Yup, it's been a long night.

Hi Chris,

You come to the right place.

Not sure why Finale claims that it cannot find "KontaktPlayer2". I am wondering if the Kontakt 2 Player dll is in the right folder or maybe wandered off to another location (computer dlls do that on ocassion ).

See if Kontakt 2 is in the right folder. You may want to give Make Music a call as they deal with this often. I am wondering if there may also be an update necessary for the K2 Player in Finale 2007.

Other Finale users may have some further insight.

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ryan
    Hi guys,

First off, I've been browsing these forums for quite some time and I'm always impressed to see how helpful you all are. But now, I'm the one needing help...

I have had Finale 2007 (with GPO-Finale addition installed) for a year now. I just got a copy of Personal Orchestra; I know what an amazing product it is, but I can't seem to get it to work on my PC.

I installed GPO without a problem. However, now, when I open Finale 07, I get "Failed to start VST engine. VST services are unavailable." Quite frusterating. Seemingly, as a result, my system's sound dies.

After a computer restart, all seems fine. I open Finale. I create a new file using the Setup Wizard. GPO library instruments appear as they should. Then, when the document opens, it claims that it cannot find "KontaktPlayer2".

I'm dying here! I simply cannot wait to use GPO, but someone in the underworld of computers is playing games with me .

Oh well, I guess I can deal with the default MIDI sounds for now. Hey, music is music. Even if it sounds like a 1980s video game.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Chris

EDIT: new update - latest error says "Missing requested plugin: Konktakt Player 2 for bank #1." So tempermental!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ryan
    / oops, hopefully the fact that I posted this thread in the wrong forum will evoke pity and not anger. Yup, it's been a long night.
    Chris~

I am away from my Finale/Garritan computer right now, but here are some things to consider & try:

Questions:

1. Mac or PC?

2. Assuming you're on a PC, have you drag-copied (NOT moved) kontaktplayer2.dll from its current location to the Finalevst folder, and

3. Again assuming PC, do you have gpo2fullinstrument.txt (or similar name--I'm away from Finale/GPO computer now) in the Finalevst folder?

4. Have you installed the 2007a updater? If not, you really should.

5. Are you aware that there is a manual for GPO and HP that is separate from the regular Finale Manual? Its name is GPOHP Tutorial FIN 2007.pdf. Read it & do what it sez. Its presence is not made evident to the user, unfortunately

6. If you are on a Mac, have you drag-copied the .txt file into the FinaleAU folder?

7. You have CHECKED "play Finale through VST," right?

8. Will I ever stoppeppering you with questions?

Right now, your best bet is to ensure that you have 2007a and READ THE PDF I mentioned. It gives both Mac and PC instructions and you can have it there right as you work.

LAST POINT: Make sure Finale is CLOSED when you do all this drag-copying...

I'll check again when I wake up to see if this has helped you sort out the mess. It always helps US to help YOU if you tell us Mac or PC & some about your system as well.

HTH...
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Impressive, impressive... I'm used to waiting weeks for help at other forums!

Gary, thank you for this glorious message board... enough said.

Jim, I'm going to answer your questions in number order:

1. PC!
    2. Nope, the installation took care of that (yes, I checked )
    3. (same as above)
    4. No, I'll do that now, thanks!
    5. No, I'll do that now, thanks (again)
    6 . -na-
    7. Hahaha
    8. Do you know the muffin man?

Some info about my PC... home-built (hence my response to 7), AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core, 4600+ 2.41 Ghz, 2GB Corsair RAM, Windows XP, so I should be in pretty good shape. It just seems like there is some minor conflict that's causing all of these "side effects." Thanks for the help; I'll address answers 4 and 5 as soon as I do what you suggested.

Chris

Hi guys,

Update : The Finale update solved all. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Those lush string patches made it all worth while.

Chris
    Dream with eyes open.
    www.youtube.com/KLGAviation

Go Back to forum