• Register
  • Help

Topic: Online review of my production of "HAiR"

Share/Bookmark

Online review of my production of "HAiR"

I just got a fun email from the guitarist who played in the production of "HAiR" (small "i" to represent the infinity symbol as in the original posters) I directed here in Salem, Oregon, in 2000.

He ran into this Epinion review of the show for the first time today, and sent the link to me.

Fun for me to see this too--I have NO idea who wrote this. Someone who certainly had a good time, that's for sure!

On the Epinions page, under the poster and links about the so-so movie version of "HAiR" is the review about our local production.

It mentions that surviving co-author of the show, Jim Rado, was there opening night. He and I conferred for many hours over the phone and through Fax, in preparation for the production.

And he wasn't the only original "HAiR" alumnae in attendance--The show's original producer Michael Butler also came to opening night, as well as original cast member Walter Michael Harris. It was an incredible experience - that entire show.

Great zap of energy for me to see this, what with me here on the cusp of a new production - my "Dorian Gray."

Randy B.

Re: Online review of my production of "HAiR"

Great review. I saw Hair on Tour in the mid 90s. I think was the 25th anniversary tour. Great show.

Sounds like the reviewer really liked your show. I think it’s cool that you discovered this as you are preparing for Dorian. I’m sure it is a big shot of adrenaline.
    Trent P. McDonald

That's great Randy - congratulations (although that sounds a little weird 7 years late). Although I'm not sure what's most impressive. The review, or the fact that you've now been in theatre for 44? years. That's quite some dedication.

Trent and Pingu - THanks for the replies. I was just so tickled when I got the email with that review link, I knew guys like you here on the Forum would groove on it with me.

That show made for an incredible experience. We had a 45 minute drumming party going on all over the theatre before the show, and at the conclusion it turned into a sing-along with the audience.

I'll never forget people pouring onto the stage to dance and sing, and there was Jim Rado, the guy who wrote "Let The Sunshine In" dancing and singing the song right along side me. Balloons flying eveywhere, the whole audience up and clapping and singing. OH Man! We never wanted the party to end on those nights--and sometimes, it didn't! lol.

One more very neat note about this - Michael Butler, the man who brought "HAiR" to the world in productions he mounted all over the globe, we stay in touch, and he plans on being here for the premiere of "Dorian"--!

Thanks for joining me in enjoying this good vibes omen that came my way today!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    One more very neat note about this - Michael Butler, the man who brought "HAiR" to the world in productions he mounted all over the globe, we stay in touch, and he plans on being here for the premiere of "Dorian"--!
    Now that's real cool!
    Trent P. McDonald

Randy -

I can see how reading that review can provide positive energy as you prepare for your Dorian Gray production. Nice review!

I never saw the production of Hair. I like the music from that show, though. I hope it's produced (locally) at some point in time. I would LOVE to see the show.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I love the Hair music. And lyrics! They've shown that even the solfeggio syllables can be dirty. So ... do... mi.... da-dum .. da-dum ... fellat... uh.. sorry

Congrats for the review from the past!

Randy,

Great review! Jim Radio singing along and people parting along. It doesn't get better than that in live theatre.

That's great that Michael Butler will be there for the premiere of "Dorian. Just remember my 2008 prediction " Randy's "Dorian Gray" will attract the interest of Broadway". Your forum friends will be glad to say we knew you when.

All the best for a wonderful 2008.

Gary

Go Back to forum