• Register
  • Help

Topic: Paul Gilreath's Guide to MIDI Orchestration?

Share/Bookmark

Question Paul Gilreath's Guide to MIDI Orchestration?

Could someone with the knowledge please tell me if this is literature worthy of its price?
    Is it of vital importance or can one find the same answers somewhere else, perhaps at a more comfterble price?

__

The sinews of Virtual Orchestrations are infinite money.

Marcus Tullius Cicero (or maybe not )
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Talking Re: Paul Gilreath's Guide to MIDI Orchestration?

Hi Felixissimo

this particular tome has many good points but price wise i would say walk on by. my school librrary has had 2 copies for a couple of years so i've had a chance do dip in at my leisure. i wouldn't recommend a personal purchase.

nowadays i would expect a link to online resources/downloads for everything in the book including midi/audio etc. Unless this is planned for the next update I would look elsewhere - the online Garritan courses on orchestration/jazz arranging are much better and are free!

Cheers, ColinD

Re: Paul Gilreath's Guide to MIDI Orchestration?

I have the third edition which, surprisingly at the price, was full of typographical errors. It is hard to believe it had been proof read at all. Maybe this has been remedied. In terms of value, the sections on instruments, orchestration and rudiments of harmony are a good practical aide memoire written from the point of view of an experienced, successful arranger. But it is well short of the depth found in standard text books. The section on currently available software is much updated from earlier editions, but obviously was already becoming out of date even on publication. This is an area where the products and technology change constantly. I do not regret buying it. Any person coming cold to the world of sampling and midi feels a need to get bearings fast. So the idea of the book is excellent. But by now, it should be a disposable paperback at a fraction of the price with a new edition every year if it is to retain usefulness. I read it cover to cover, but have subsequently almost never felt a need to take it from the shelf.

I'd have to say pass on it. I got it a year ago, and while there is some basic info, a lot of it is just basic orchestration. There is a also a rather long section on the various programs one might use - ok , if one is shopping, but once you have a setup, there just isn't enough there to justify its price. If you are looking for a book that will make your renderings more life-like, this isn't it; or, it wasn't for me.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    ...If you are looking for a book that will make your renderings more life-like, this isn't it; or, it wasn't for me.
    Ah, yes, Thank you. That was what I wanted to know. Is there then perhaps any other sources of information on that particular subject then?
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Felixissimo
    Ah, yes, Thank you. That was what I wanted to know. Is there then perhaps any other sources of information on that particular subject then?
    Check out some of the turotials on the Garritan website. You might have to scroll down a bit to find what you are looking for, but a lot of folks here wrote some wonderful articles.
    http://www.garritan.com/tips_tutorials.html

For general orchestration which you can then apply you can look at the Rimsky-Korsakov course offered on this forum. I haven't done it yet, but I will soon.

Isn't it late in Sweden?
    Trent P. McDonald

I got mine on Ebay for $25 USD, I don't know if that would work with international shipping, but I love using that book for many references and the reviews on all of the libraries and interviews with developers.

God Bless,

Jeremy

I've also got the Gilreath book and have found it useful for dipping into for (what is probably pretty basic) info on reproducing lifelike instrument-sounds. It gave me a bit of confidence to consider using instruments I'd previously known little about. I too wish he hadn't bothered with the software section - utterly pointless in a hardback book as the info changes so rapidly. If the MIDI-articulation-based stuff were on its own in paperback, I would say go for it. As it is... get it second-hand and heavily discounted, or spend your money elsewhere !

Go Back to forum