• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slow VSL string attack in Kontakt - how to solve it?

Share/Bookmark

Slow VSL string attack in Kontakt - how to solve it?

Hi

I've been trying to load the string sections from the VSL Kontakt orchestra into Kontakt 2 (this was the library which came bundled with the program). However, the attack for the instruments seems really slow - it after you play a key it takes a few moments for the sound to reach full velocity, kind of like crescendo-ing into the note. I'm still new to Kontakt and haven't probed its powerful capabilities, apart from to use the modulation filter to extend / remove attack, decay, hold etc. However, even with the attack on these violins set to 0, I'm still getting the same effect. Can someone advise me if there is something I can change to get the sound I want?

Thanks

Re: Slow VSL string attack in Kontakt - how to solve it?

I'm afraid you're gonna have to import the waw files into an audio editor and cut off the attack if you want a more aggressive attack out of your samples. Once this is done you can build your new instrument by mapping it like it was before. Please note that you should rename each wav file with a different name or else kontakt will get confuse at some point. Just a O before sus like :Osus, that should do it. And renamed the instrument as well of course.

Once you've remapped the instrument in Kontakt you can use the attack(ADSR) to trim down this unnatural attack you've created in your audio editor. Of course you could trim the samples in your audio editor one by one but it will take a while.

There's a free audio editor here if you don't have one:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Happy new year!

Many thanks for this - what a pain!

I presume if this is the only way round it that I could just open the files in the audio editor and save them with the same name, which would mean I didn't have to remap the entire instrument?

I could then transfer the original files from the DVD into a new folder on the computer, thus giving me two versions of the instrument?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by l.buck
    Many thanks for this - what a pain!

I presume if this is the only way round it that I could just open the files in the audio editor and save them with the same name, which would mean I didn't have to remap the entire instrument?

I could then transfer the original files from the DVD into a new folder on the computer, thus giving me two versions of the instrument?

Cheers
    No you cant. K2 will get confuse. I wouldn't take chance if i were you.

It's not that much more work. In the audio editor, once you're finished editing the samples you will naturally be ask to save what you did right? Just use the same name but add a O before sus, see example below.

ex: before = VI-14_sus_mV_f_G4.waw
    after = VI-14_Osus_mV_f_G4.waw

Yes it is a pain to do, but you may not have to edit all velocities. For example you may not need the piano velocity since you are looking for a fast attack which is usually played mf or forte right? You could even start with the higher velocity only and see if it's enough for you...

P.S. Just make sure you create a different folder for your newly edited samples.

let me know how it goes!

hi Buck, a more convenient way to do what you need is the following:

open the instrument, upper left
    select "edit all groups" in the group editor
    choose "sampler" and not "DFD" in the "source" panel
    add a modulator, choose "constant"
    assign "sample start" to the modulator

now if you drag the cursor to the right, the samples will start from a variable offset allowing you to have faster attacks. Hope this helps

Roberto

lol... Good idea Roberto. I never use sampler mode because it uses too much ram so i didn't even think about it.

Thanks Bob

Thats ideal! I don't suppose it's possible to then use these shortened samples in DFD mode is it? I guess to do that I have to do as geronimo suggested to achieve that.

Cheers

I don't use DFD because it loses a lot of flexibility, but it seems to work if you manually adjust the sample start of each sample in the loop editor.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjw
    I don't use DFD because it loses a lot of flexibility, but it seems to work if you manually adjust the sample start of each sample in the loop editor.
    Thanks for this - can you tell me how actually to do it? I know almost nothing about how to tweak things in Kontakt itself.
    Thanks

It'll be tedious if you have a lot of samples

Click on spanner to open instrument
    Open Group Editor, Mapping Editor and Loop Editor
    Easiest to see what you're doing if you select "Selected Group only"

Click on zone to highlight it. Waveform will appear in Loop Editor.
    Sample start is green on extreme left and can be dragged to where you want the sample to start.

Repeat for each zone
    Repeat for each group

(Kontakt 2)

P.S. You'll probably have to modify your attack time in the AHDSR envelope.

Go Back to forum