• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Dark Night-Strad and GPO Piano

Share/Bookmark

The Dark Night-Strad and GPO Piano

Hi everyone,

I've been around here awhile, but this is my first time posting my piece in the listening room !

The piece is called "The Dark Night" and was a project for my Music Theory 2 class. The assignment was to come up with a piece in any key for solo instrument and piano using every diatonic chord at least once, and at least 4 of the 5 qualities of seveth chords.

I used the strad for the violin and the GPO Steinway piano for the piano, recorded in Sonar Home Studio 6.

Here is the link: http://sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/sho...scoreid=116818. Note: to use the link, you must download scorch, a free plug-in from sibelius. It should pop up when you try to view the page. Then you can see the score as well. The mp3 is at the bottom.

If you don't want to download scorch, here is a direct link to the mp3: www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/1/1/6/116818.mp3

I hope you like it.

--Richard

Re: The Dark Night-Strad and GPO Piano

Question - Is the Scorch program compatible with OSX for MAC??
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

The title is very fitting.
    A good, solid composition. I would only like to hear more of (2:14) .. the most impactive part of this work for me.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry
    Question - Is the Scorch program compatible with OSX for MAC??
    As far as I know it is, but I use Windows XP so I don't have any personal experience with it on a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    The title is very fitting.
    A good, solid composition. I would only like to hear more of (2:14) .. the most impactive part of this work for me.

Michael
    Thanks for listening, Michael. Glad you like it! It is a little short, but that was partly becuase we listen to the pieces in class and they can't be too long so everyone has a chance to share in a 40 minute period. I am working on adapting it for orchestra (plus adding a bit to it) for a project for my orchestra class as well.

--Richard

Hi, Richard "Sharkbat"

I tried yesterday with no success, and tried again today with the same result - the MP3 loads, but then refuses to play in my XP's media player. Don't know what the problem is - but I'm stuck, unable to hear. Looking at the score alone isn't my interest, I'd like to hear your assignment.

Randy B.

Hi Randy,

Well, thank you for at least trying to listen. I don't know what the problem is, it works fine here. Do you have another player you can try it with? Also note you can access the mp3 from the scorch page, but I don't think that would help because I just copied the link from there directly.

Hopefully we can find some solution.

--Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Richard "Sharkbat"

I tried yesterday with no success, and tried again today with the same result - the MP3 loads, but then refuses to play in my XP's media player. Don't know what the problem is - but I'm stuck, unable to hear. Looking at the score alone isn't my interest, I'd like to hear your assignment.

Randy B.

Hi - after much finagling I got the scorch program installed - i'm the one on a MAC. So I watched the score as it played in my browser. The mp3 link just showed a big question mark which is strange - I tried on a few different occasions as well. I Liked the composition - very peaceful and melodic. I won't comment on the samples as they are somewhat limited so I tried to concentrate on the music only.

Thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry
    Hi - after much finagling I got the scorch program installed - i'm the one on a MAC. So I watched the score as it played in my browser. The mp3 link just showed a big question mark which is strange - I tried on a few different occasions as well. I Liked the composition - very peaceful and melodic. I won't comment on the samples as they are somewhat limited so I tried to concentrate on the music only.

Thanks for posting - Del
    Thanks for listening, glad you like the piece. I'll have to find another place to post the mp3 since some people are having trouble getting to it. The samples used by scorch when you play the piece using scorch are just whatever midi sounds you have set to use for General Midi Files from the internet. I have mine set to use the Microsoft Wavetable Synth sounds since I don't have any other system midi sounds. They are not really good. When I used the macs at school a couple of years ago they were comparable there.

--Richard

Couldn't get the mp3 to load. Just get a Quicktime 'Q' on the screen with a question mark
    Last edited by lesotho72; 01-01-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Hit enter by mistake

Rich, got part way through this, and noticed you
    had reposted a latter version of this.

Will catch up with it there. For those likewise as
    chronically confused as I am, that would be...

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58215

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast