• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mix Help

Share/Bookmark

Mix Help

I could really use some input from all the pros on this forum about the following mix:

http://www.myspace.com/rikpfenninger

What can I do to make it better?

Thanks in advance

Peace

rikp

Thumbs up Re: Mix Help

Hey, Rik! Great job!!!!!

I listened to this on the worst audio setup I have, my laptop speakers. Two things stuck out. First, I was really straining to hear your string line. I think it's a bit too far back in the mix and needs a little more loudness to give it presence. If you can put the strings in the center of the mix that would be a little stronger than putting it in its concert position.

Second, I think your drum breaks need a little more animation at the close of the phrase (percussion, Berklee '75 - built in bias regarding being replaced by a drum loop...)

Peter
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Re: Mix Help

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    I could really use some input from all the pros on this forum about the following mix:

http://www.box.net/shared/k5lsl8fwg8

What can I do to make it better?

Thanks in advance

Peace

rikp
    I liked it a lot...what samples did you use for saxaphone?

Rik is the saxophonist. No samples. He teaches at Plymouth State University. PhD in jazz if memory serves correctly.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Rik,

You play with a lot of ornamentation and the digital delay is really muddying that up, particularly on your solo section. You might try using the delay only on the choruses, leaving your solos with reverb only, and you might try setting your delay times to coincide with eighth notes. Also, and I think I may be hearing things that aren't really there, but are there some harmon turmpet hits in the background on the choruses? If so, I think I'd bring those forward a lot more so as to provide more interest in the arrangement. If they're not there, maybe you should add some? One last thing, it sounded like you were occasionally getting slightly ahead of the beat in your solos. This type of music is totally groove dependent so anything to disturbs that tends to stick out. I'm not saying everything has to be metrically perfect, but there are a few spots I might go back and masage a little if possible.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    Hey, Rik! Great job!!!!!

I listened to this on the worst audio setup I have, my laptop speakers. Two things stuck out. First, I was really straining to hear your string line. I think it's a bit too far back in the mix and needs a little more loudness to give it presence. If you can put the strings in the center of the mix that would be a little stronger than putting it in its concert position.

Second, I think your drum breaks need a little more animation at the close of the phrase (percussion, Berklee '75 - built in bias regarding being replaced by a drum loop...)

Peter
    Peter:

Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it! There is a string line and I do have it panned right. I will try moving it to the center!

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOOLSGUY
    I liked it a lot...what samples did you use for saxaphone?
    As Peter stated, I am the saxophone sampler! I hope that is a good thing

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin
    Rik,

You play with a lot of ornamentation and the digital delay is really muddying that up, particularly on your solo section. You might try using the delay only on the choruses, leaving your solos with reverb only, and you might try setting your delay times to coincide with eighth notes. Also, and I think I may be hearing things that aren't really there, but are there some harmon turmpet hits in the background on the choruses? If so, I think I'd bring those forward a lot more so as to provide more interest in the arrangement. If they're not there, maybe you should add some? One last thing, it sounded like you were occasionally getting slightly ahead of the beat in your solos. This type of music is totally groove dependent so anything to disturbs that tends to stick out. I'm not saying everything has to be metrically perfect, but there are a few spots I might go back and masage a little if possible.
    Paul:

Thanks so much for the detailed input! I will revisit my delay and verb settings! Yes, it is a Harmon trumpet. I will try to move it forward and see what it sounds like.

Also, I checked out your web site. Great charts! I am looking for jazz charts for 5 saxes and a rhythm section, college level. Do you write anything like that? I just don't have the time to do arrangements and I have a great sax studio this year!

Thanks again for sharing your insights!

Peace

rikp

As Peter stated, I am the saxophone sampler! I hope that is a good thing

Peace

rikp

lol, ....that's why i was shocked. I've listened to every sax samples in the universe, and I was like, this must be a new one that i havent' heard! You play very well.

Paul:

Also, I checked out your web site. Great charts! I am looking for jazz charts for 5 saxes and a rhythm section, college level. Do you write anything like that? I just don't have the time to do arrangements and I have a great sax studio this year!
    Rik,

I sent you an email to your school address.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum