• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Best/Worst/Funniest/Strangest Holiday Present Stories

Share/Bookmark

OT: Best/Worst/Funniest/Strangest Holiday Present Stories

Hi everyone, Ern's post got me thinking it might be fun to share weird holiday present stories. Me first!

Surge suppressors. A whole set of my own! From my (then) husband.

(Another present, equally romantic, at another time, was a vacuum cleaner.

Anyone else?

Re: Best/Worst/Funniest/Strangest Holiday Present Stories

Matching sets of pink, baby blue, and green paper clips (the big metallic kind with the foldover handles, not the usual little clips). However, the donor said they were macho and manly because they had a camouflage pattern on them. Last year this same person gave me a package of Kleenex. Oh, and then there's the animated Santa on a Harley doll that plays "Born to be Wild". I guess next year is my year to receive a singing fish that I can mount over the living room fireplace.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

I'm a legal immigrant become US citizen, from Australia. Among the things I really miss are some of the foods (meat pies, fish and chips, dim sims, sausage rolls etc). I wrote this in my blog three years ago. (Morgan is my teenaged step daughter).

'But the buggers do listen. Amongst my presents were two bottles of Malt Vinegar and two bottles of real Australian Rosella Tomato sauce . As I said to them at the time, if anyone in Australia gave a bottle of Tomato Sauce as a Chrissie pressie the recipient would look at them and think 'you cheap bastard'. But here in the USA it was a whiff of heaven. Indeed I grossed Morgan out by dabbing malt vinegar behind my ears. I said it was to keep the teenage girls away . I'm not sure she bought it.'

Rob

http://robmanderson.blogspot.com/200...ht-not-to.html

I got a recorder!
    What am I suppost to do with that? I play the violin!
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Karen:
    Your former husband and I must have attended the same gift giving school. Very early in my first marriage, I gave my former wife, "Cruella," what I thought was the perfect Christmas gift. Practical, useful and inexpensive to fit our very limited budget, I didn't understand her lack of enthusiasm when I presented her with a set of aluminum nails for baking potatoes.
    Note: the key words are "former wife."
    sos

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin
    Matching sets of pink, baby blue, and green paper clips (the big metallic kind with the foldover handles, not the usual little clips). However, the donor said they were macho and manly because they had a camouflage pattern on them. Last year this same person gave me a package of Kleenex. Oh, and then there's the animated Santa on a Harley doll that plays "Born to be Wild". I guess next year is my year to receive a singing fish that I can mount over the living room fireplace.
    Wow! it never occurred to me to check if my paperclips were macho or feminine.... but personally, I prefer "off-colors" and earth tones - no pastels or brights. Just in case anyone wants to give me some in the future. And hey, I've seen the singing fish! This one was called Billy the Bass, I think. He'd sit there quietly on the wall, like any old mounted fish, but when you walked by, he'd start flapping his tail and singing "Don't Worry, Be Happy". I actually thought he was kind of cool, in a tacky sort of way....

And, doing some web research, I found out that you can get all kinds of paper clips.... including "Happy Huggers" (see below), and at the following site, all manner of clips including various body parts (eg Nose) -- except I couldn't figure out how to order them (they are in China). Their messages are amusing, too, the translations from Chinese to English...

http://www.paperclips.cn/

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    Karen:
    Your former husband and I must have attended the same gift giving school. Very early in my first marriage, I gave my former wife, "Cruella," what I thought was the perfect Christmas gift. Practical, useful and inexpensive to fit our very limited budget, I didn't understand her lack of enthusiasm when I presented her with a set of aluminum nails for baking potatoes.
    Note: the key words are "former wife."
    sos
    Hey Steve, well, you know, the potato nails are useful... plus surge suppressors are too. But the vacuum cleaner i got - -well, it WAS a very good one. And it was, he informed me at the time, "only $450" and I choked (I was the one that brought in the money much of the time.)
    Worse, we already had a quite serviceable vacuum cleaner. So personally, Steve, I'd say you're ahead of the curve in the gift department. But you might want to be careful giving a "Cruella" anything with sharp points on it, I am thinking

Dave Barry has lots of words written in his humor columns about Gifts from guys to women. His wife asked him for a candle, and, wanting to outdo himself, he instead got her a coleman xxxxxx BTU lantern and couldn't understand whey she was nonplussed. He was also baffled by women's willingness, even eagerness, to pay $15 for a little wisp of insubstantial material (a scarf).

I got Pez from my aunt. That's kind of a traditional gift from her though, every year we get Pez, I'm not complaining I also got a lamp that used to be mine anyway. Heh...heh...
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Two years ago my sister gave me tiny flowerpots and herb seeds. i didn't plant them that spring because i forgot i had them, but i planted them this last spring and almost all of them grew. Parlsey and Sage must prefer cold because they are still flourishing where the others have stopped in the fall. The parsly stayed small and wimpy all summer, but after it started getting cool it has grown into a giant sized mound, and i love parsley. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

I've received a few fruit cakes when I used to teach piano lessons. I would actually eat them! BTW, the one laced in alcohol actually got me drunk!

Jim

Go Back to forum