• Register
  • Help

Topic: A new piece

Share/Bookmark

A new piece

I am just finishing up some music for a project I am working on. Just a few touch ups here and there. I think? All comments are welcomed. The sound, the piece itself. One of the pieces is called the cross. I used KH Concert strings, and Bela d Diva Bundle. Thanks in advance. Best, Joseph
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Re: A new piece

Hey Joseph,
    I always love your string writing and I really like the sound of the KH stuff here. Hearing you write with these strings makes me think of purchasing that library myself. With that said, there are a couple of things that caught my attention. Mostly the Diva voice. Sorry, I love the Bela D team and I own many of thier great products but Diva has never done it for me. Too much vibrato all the time and no real legato. I dont blame them because it's an older library and it was ground breaking at the time but it really sticks out to me as being "not real" sounding. The only other thing, and this is small in comparison, is the string articulation starting at about 1:22 or so. Sounds like the same attack over and over again as if you are just playing an articulation that swells the same way over and over again. It may just be the way you played the dynamics but it sounds like a repeated articulation to me.

Please dont take these crits too hard because I think you're an incredible writer and you manage many more harmonic structures than I would ever think to come up with. You have my respect for sure. Just trying to help.

Nice piece, Joseph. The strings sound great, but the soprano samples sound to me very "synthetic" for a lack of a better word. On my newest song http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58052 I also tried to use Diva, but as nice as it sounds, it sounded....well.....like samples of a soprano. Using a real performer was like night and day. It cost me $300 (she is the lead soprano in the "Phantom" show on the Las Vegas strip) but after hearing the results, she was worth EVERY penny.

Sean

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Hey Joseph,
    I always love your string writing and I really like the sound of the KH stuff here. Hearing you write with these strings makes me think of purchasing that library myself. With that said, there are a couple of things that caught my attention. Mostly the Diva voice. Sorry, I love the Bela D team and I own many of thier great products but Diva has never done it for me. Too much vibrato all the time and no real legato. I dont blame them because it's an older library and it was ground breaking at the time but it really sticks out to me as being "not real" sounding. The only other thing, and this is small in comparison, is the string articulation starting at about 1:22 or so. Sounds like the same attack over and over again as if you are just playing an articulation that swells the same way over and over again. It may just be the way you played the dynamics but it sounds like a repeated articulation to me.

Please dont take these crits too hard because I think you're an incredible writer and you manage many more harmonic structures than I would ever think to come up with. You have my respect for sure. Just trying to help.
    Hello Eric, good to hear from you again. Never take the crits hard, this is why I put my music on here. I am going back to it in a few days to rework it. Now I am trying to finish some other pieces up. As always your comments are welcomed, as I to have great respect for your talent. Hope you have a fantastic New Year. Best, Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    Nice piece, Joseph. The strings sound great, but the soprano samples sound to me very "synthetic" for a lack of a better word. On my newest song http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58052 I also tried to use Diva, but as nice as it sounds, it sounded....well.....like samples of a soprano. Using a real performer was like night and day. It cost me $300 (she is the lead soprano in the "Phantom" show on the Las Vegas strip) but after hearing the results, she was worth EVERY penny.

Sean
    Thanks for the listen. I am going back to it in a few days. I have to agree on the strings. The KH library is excellent. I just recieved the whole Diamond package, and I am impressed. Happy New Year. Joseph

Go Back to forum