• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Springtide (Letzter Fruhling)_Grieg

Springtide (Letzter Fruhling)_Grieg

Here is the other arrangement I did for my friend for string quartet and voice.

Letzter Frühling by Edvard Grieg

We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Re: Springtide (Letzter Fruhling)_Grieg

This is a really nice setting of the lovely Grieg "Springtide". It has a haunting quality that your choice of instruments frames perfectly. Thanks for sharing it hear.

Nice, Bill - You're certainly coming up with some pretty projects these days. So this track will be sung to live? It's of unusual and effective delicacy, I like it much - Thanks for the listen!

Randy B.

Shelton, Washington State

It's weird and peaceful. I like how the strings move in and out.

Phil - Yes and the words are even more haunting. I am not sure what the event is that this is being performed at, but I am guessing a memorial service for a fellow musician.

Randy - Yes, it will be a live performance and it is a treat to have to arrange a lovely Grieg piece.

Gary - Hauntingly sweet and lyric. I tried to make the strings fit the 'soul' of the piece Grieg has written. I have never heard it before, so I have nothing to compare to.

All Thanks for the listen and have a Happy New Year.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

A beautiful setting of this, Bill; I'm surprised this has
    not taken much more notice!

My compliments on this one -- good source material,
    surely; and this will be just gorgeous in live performance.

My best,

Thumbs up Re: Springtide (Letzter Fruhling)_Grieg

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Here is the other arrangement I did for my friend for string quartet and voice.

Letzter Frühling by Edvard Grieg

What a beautiful arrangement, Bill!

I can see the vast forests and the big fjords of Norway.
    Incredibly beautiful!

Impressive arrangement! The high strings bring back thoughts of "the Swan of Lohengrin", the Wagner saga. But? Where is the swan, Bill?

This is really nice. I like how the quartet and voice mesh into such a serene setting. I have never heard this piece before. I guess I had better look up more Grieg music and give them a listen.

He wrote more than Peer Gynt?

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Central Illinois

This is a beautiful piece with a really nice arrangement. It makes me wonder how it would sound on the glass armonica, a quaint instrument that Mozart wrote at least one work for.

In 1761 Benjamin Franklin was in London representing the Pennsylvania Legislature to Parliament. Franklin was very interested in music: he was a capable amateur musician, attended concerts regularly, and even wrote a string quartet! One of the concerts Franklin attended was by Deleval, a colleague of his in the Royal Academy, who performed on a set of water tuned wineglasses patterned after Pockridge's instrument. Franklin was enchanted, and determined to invent and build 'a more convenient' arrangement.
    Franklin's new invention premiered in early 1762, played by Marianne Davies—a well known musician in London who learned to play Franklin's new invention. Initially Franklin named it the 'glassychord', but soon settled on 'armonica' as the name for his new invention—after the Italian word for harmony "armonia". Apparently Franklin built a second instrument for Ms. Davies, as she toured Europe with hers, while Franklin returned to Philadelphia with his own.
    The armonica made quite a hit, particularly in Germany. Mozart was introduced to it by Franz Mesmer, who used his to 'mesmerize' his patients, and later Mozart wrote two works for it (a solo armonica piece, and a larger quintet for armonica, flute, oboe, viola and cello). Beethoven also wrote a little piece for amonica and narrator (!), and many of their colleagues of the day composed for it as well—some 200 pieces for armonica (solo, or with other instruments) survive from that era.
    But musical fashions changed. Music was moving out of the relatively small aristocratic halls of Mozart's day into the large public concert halls of the 19th century, and without amplification it simply couldn't be heard. During this period, musical instruments in general were significantly redesigned to make them louder to be heard in the larger public concert halls—the piano went through a major transformation from a "quiet little harpsichord with hammers" of Mozart's day to the massive instrument we know today, and instruments of the orchestra—strings, winds, brass—were all modified to increase their volume. But there really wasn't any way to make the armonica louder. Concert reviews from the period bemoan the fact that the armonica sounded wonderful—when it could be heard. So, alas, Franklin's marvelous invention was ultimately abandoned.

Cool Re: Springtide (Letzter Fruhling)_Grieg

It was interesting to read about what you wrote, John!

I have a question!

The instrument you're talking about, is that what also is included in GPO, called the "glass harmonica?"

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast