• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: help setting up solo violin

Share/Bookmark

help setting up solo violin

I just received the solo violin I bought in the round robin sale. Do I have everything I need on the disc or do I have to go on the internet to the NI service center to download anything. My computer is more than the minumum requirments for the program. I am running Ivory with the same computer and controler great. When I load it up there are only two programs, the two versions,1.08 and 2.01 I think. THere are no other instruments. WHen I open my hard drive and go to solo violin and click it opens up a folder called instruments but it is empty. What loads is practically unusable. It has a very quick attack and a very quick decay that goes down to almost nothing. I have a voume controller by roland and it seems to be working fine. It does the same thing if I use the mouse to trigger a note. I tried the keyswictches and they dont seem to be working right either. I hear nothing that sounds like a trill or tremelo but do get spizzacato. any idea what my problem is

Re: help setting up solo violin

I recommend reading the manual carefully first, then if necessary check old threads in the Strad section of the forum. The strad is an instrument that has to be literally played to deliver results, which is why it is potentially so expressive. The expression controller will give the note body, the mod wheel and aftertouch will, in different ways, control vibrato, the velocity controller will determine strength of attack, the degree of overlap between notes (with mouse or keyboard) will decide the portamento effect. Concerning keyswitches, they all work, but beware,it is a peculiarity of the program that if you hit a key outside the instrument range, but not a designated keyswitch, it mutes the strad. No idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    What loads is practically unusable. It has a very quick attack and a very quick decay that goes down to almost nothing.
    It's quite a shock to hear one's first note on the strad out of the box
    But like Jeff says, you simply have to go through ALL the tutorials in the handbook. You will soon discover the beauty of this gorgeous instrument....

Yes, there are only two patches, the older more classical sounding strad and the newer more lyrical sounding instrument. I would start with the second one, if I were you, it has a stunning tone.

Good luck !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi, Jeff - Congratulations on being a new Strad owner!

You've gotten excellent replies from Dermod and Louis - I just want to make sure that the #1 priority piece of information you needed wasn't lost:

--Expression - cc#11 is what controls The Strad's volume. You described hearing the instantly cutting off sound one gets when no Expression has been applied.

You can control the instrument's volume live, with an Expression pedal which sends out MIDI controller #11, or you can program a wheel or knob you have handy to cc11, or you can draw it into a MIDI controller window after you've played the notes.

When you bought The Strad, you understood it's a solo instrument - a single Violin, right? You're actually getting a bonus - it's not a matter of "just two instruments"---it's--"hey wow--there are Two Violins here, each with a bit diferent timbre."

Hope it all goes well for you.

Randy B.

thanks everyone for the help. After listening to the demos I am so excited to get this instrument. I have read the book front to back. From reading this and watching the demos It doenst sound like it should be hard. I play pedal steel and Im great with a expression pedal. I have a studio logic controller I think it is a 880. I couldnt find anywhere in the manual how to set the controler for the volume pedal. THe volume pedal seems is working. I called and talked to Randy but after going back and reloading it seems to be a different set of problems. Wherther I use my keyboard or play a note with the mouse I get a real sharp attack and two notes play, it kind of sounds like up and a down stoke Im not sure. The other thing my keyswitches dont work. They dont work on the keyboard and they dont work with the mouse. The only switch I get is if I hit a# 2, not one it swiches to pizzacato I think and then if I hit c2 it switches back. THis has nothing to do with the controller. Is it possable to get a bad disc. My controller is working great with Ivory, east west gold, Triolgy and several other things. I am not using a exprestion pedal with any of those but the fact the the keyswitches dont work even with the mouse leads me to belive there is another problem. I have another program that uses Kontakt 2 player, acoustic legends and when I open up the strad it shows up to. Could that possable be causing any kind of a conflict. I just dont think the problem is in my controller. IF my exression pedal wasnt assigned to cc11 would it even work. Im so excited yet so dissapointed. I have a session I wanted to use it on this week. I have the ability to play the things on any of the demos I heard. Im sorry to be a pain and thanks everyone

...I called and talked to Randy but after going back and reloading it seems to be a different set of problems.
    ---Which Randy? Not me---

Wherther I use my keyboard or play a note with the mouse I get a real sharp attack and two notes play, it kind of sounds like up and a down stoke Im not sure--etc.
    The keyswitches which control the articulations begin an octave lower than the bottom note The Strad plays. You're confused on what keyswitch is currently engaged---And you understand, the instrument will stay on the currently selected keyswitch until you re-assign a new one. Low C is the basic starting point for most of your work.

IF my exression pedal wasnt assigned to cc11 would it even work. Im so excited yet so dissapointed. I have a session I wanted to use it on this week. I have the ability to play the things on any of the demos I heard. Im sorry to be a pain and thanks everyone
    If it's an Expression pedal plugged into the Exression socket in your keyboard, then it's sending out cc#11, and will control the volume of your Strad.

I'm not really clear on what all your problems are, but I really think being confused about where the keyswitches are is the main one.

Randy B.

I am not confused to where the keyswitches are, the first one is c1, it stays there untill you hit another one, I understand that. THe only key switch I get is a#2 anything about that mutes the sound untill i hit c1 again. In c1 it is unusable. I hit one note and it triggers two. My problem is not that I dont understand how to use it something is wrong for one the KEYSWITCHES DO NOT WORK 2 IT TRIGGERS TWO NOTES WHEN i HIT ONE YOU COULD CLEARLY HEAR THIS OVER THE PHONE I have no idea what to try next

Hi, Jeff - I can hear your frustration, and sympathize with you. It can be stressful when software isn't working for us, and I imagine everyone here has had that kind of experience one time or another, so we can all relate.

There's some confusion going here on though, on several counts.

You have never spoken with me on the phone.

You've referred again in your new reply to being on the phone with me - I guess you mean you've spoken a tech support person somewhere named Randy? But I assure you, it wasn't me you spoke to.

Earlier in this thread we explained how Expression, MIDI controller #11 is what controls The Strad's volume. Without any use of cc11, you'll have the effect you described perfectly, of hearing a sharp attack followed by the volume instantly zooming down to almost nothing.

I'm not clear from your replies if you at least have that working now?

The very sharp attack you're describing is from a high velocity value - how hard a key is struck. The Strad is very sensitive to velocity, and for many passages, extremely low levels are needed for natural, soft attacks on notes.

I thought perhaps you were confused about where the keyswitches were, that's why I pointed them out earlier. I'm sure you understand I'm only trying to help. Your reply clearly shows that you're getting frantic to get the instrument working correctly, since you'd hoped to be using it very soon.

From what you've described, I can't tell what else could be wrong. You Do understand that the basic setting, keyswitch C1 IS capable of playing two notes? When you're in that keyswitch, the instrument automatically switches back forth from mono mode (for most passages) and polyphonic mode when notes are played at the same time and their attacks are within 20 milliseconds of each other.

In one more attempt to understand what you're saying - I really don't know what the following is supposed to mean:

"...THe only key switch I get is a#2 anything about that mutes the sound untill i hit c1 again. In c1 it is unusable..."

#2 what? --And I guess you mean anything "above" that, not "about"--? C1 Sharp triggers the mutes until you hit C1 again - that part is right. What does "in C1 it is unusable" mean--What is unusable? -- I'm sorry, I can't decipher what you're saying.

I seriously doubt that your disc is faulty. If there was a glitch in the disc's data, it wouldn't have loaded up for installation. If programming was incorrect on your disc, that would mean a huge number of discs pressed at the same time would have the same problems, yet there aren't hundreds of users having the same problem.

That's why I really feel that you're still experiencing some misunderstanding and confusion about how The Strad works in KP2 - and I've done what I can, based on your difficult-to-decipher posts, to help you out.

I hope to see you coming back saying "AH! I GOT IT!" - I'm sure you Will figure it out, I just hope for your sake that it's sooner rather than later.

Randy B.

Randy

sorry for the confusion. THe way your first post read I thought you were the person I spoke to. Let me try to narrow down my problem and just ask a couple of question,
    1 my expression pedal it is working, if it was not set to cc11 would it work at all

2 about the keyswitch problem, the only time I get a change in sound is when I hit a# 2, then the sound changes to pizzacoto, it stays that way untill I hit c1. If I hit a note outside of the range of the instrument it mutes the sound untill i hit c1 no othere keyswitch seems to be working

3 if i hit a note with the mouse or my keyboard, I hit the note one time but it sounds two time, sounds like a up and down stroke to me. I have not idea if this is normal at this point.

4 I read something in a old post about a conflict if another bfd is installed, is this still a problem. I have kontakt 2 installed, as well as acoustic legends which by the way shows up when I open Strad. It shows up right under the
    strad. I cannot load a sound from it though. Is this normal for it to show up like this

Im going to my studio now. I will get it going if it kills me. I know Im probably frustrating you and IM sorry. Im not frantic but frustrated but we will figure it out. I suppose the first thing I need to know is if my expression pedal is working right

Hello again, Jeff

At least we've established that I'm not the one who spoke to you on the phone! lol

I've reached the end of my resources on what's going wrong. My hope is that other folks will see your thread and come up with more possible solutions. I have No idea what else to tell you.

I finally get one thing though--when you were saying "a #2"--I didn't realize you meant the note A. Usually when we're referring to a note, it's capitalized. I thought you were just saying "a number 2"--and had no idea what you meant.

"...the only time I get a change in sound is when I hit a# 2, then the sound changes to pizzacoto, it stays that way untill I hit c1..."

Pizzacato is on A#1, I don't know why you're getting it on A#2. But of course it will stay engaged until you hit C1, that's the way keyswitches work. They remain in effect until you choose another one.

And I guess you do understand that there is a blank octave between the highest keyswitch note and the lowest Violin note? If you hit one of those "blank" keys, you will turn off the instrument's sound.

As I said - I hope others can join in and track down your problem. I don't know have anything else to offer!

Best of luck with it.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum