• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gabrieli - Canzona Spititata for low brass using CMB

Share/Bookmark

Gabrieli - Jubilati Deo for low brass using CMB

I posted the Gabrieli "Jubilati Deo" several months ago rendered for mixed brass choir. Over the summer I also arranged it for low brass quartet,two euphoniums and two tuba. Here it is rendered using Finale 2006 and the CMB euphonium and tubas;

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Gabr...15LowBrass.mp3

It was performed in November by the Eastman School of Music's Tuba Mirum (http://www.esm.rochester.edu/ensembles/tubamirum.php) in quartet form. I present them here as a comparison to the CMB rendering, a bit more spirited performance. The piece is a surprisingly difficult work because of the continuously changing entry and exits of the various voices. This performance took place in the beautiful Kilbourne Hall on the evening of Novmeber 19, 2007.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Gabr...oTubaMirum.mp3

The Tuba Mirum performance is copyright (c) 2007, Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Gabrieli - Canzona Spititata for low brass using CMB

Hi, Gary

You are such a creative soul. I'm excited for you that the arrangements you've been working on are being performed live - that's so great.

This realization with the low brass grabs me even more than the last one you posted. I think I grumbled on that thread about having some trouble hearing low instruments for such a stretch of time, but this rendition is more satisfying to me, probably because there's a farther reach up on the instruments' range.

Really nice - Thanks for this.

Randy B.

Gary -
    Love the low instruments. Did you give it a try with Bass and SubContra saxes, or with Bass and ContraBass clarinets? I bet that it would sound quite interesting, too. The low brass, of course, would not be as 'grating' (too intense of a word, but I can't think of exactly what I want to say) on the ear.

From what I have seen, this piece is one of at least four. Do you know which one it is?

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

I really liked this one. As Randy said it is a little higher in the register.

Maybe our ears have come accustomed to the higher frequencies of modern electronics. Like my Apple ear buds.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Gary

You are such a creative soul. I'm excited for you that the arrangements you've been working on are being performed live - that's so great.
    Randy thanks for your comments. Yes it is the best to get the live performances. The Eastman students really love to get their hands on new works, especially when it is tailored for their particular genre. And in a performance setting their really work on perfecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    This realization with the low brass grabs me even more than the last one you posted. I think I grumbled on that thread about having some trouble hearing low instruments for such a stretch of time, but this rendition is more satisfying to me, probably because there's a farther reach up on the instruments' range.

Really nice - Thanks for this.

Randy B.
    The low brass sound certainly takes some getting used to. The tenor and bass sound is like a men's choir and we who are more used to the SATB world have to adjust to it. In the case of this work, a quartet, I agree it is a little easier to hear the voices, both in the CMB and the live versions. Plus Gabrieli is a little tricky to pull off as both performer and conductor giving the multitude of entry and exits througout the work.

But I am pleased that you enjoyed it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4209fr
    Gary -
    Love the low instruments. Did you give it a try with Bass and SubContra saxes, or with Bass and ContraBass clarinets? I bet that it would sound quite interesting, too. The low brass, of course, would not be as 'grating' (too intense of a word, but I can't think of exactly what I want to say) on the ear.

From what I have seen, this piece is one of at least four. Do you know which one it is?

Frank
    Frank,

I have arranged this work for mixed brass choir, saxophone quartet and low brass. The saxophone and low brass settings for specifically for existing performing groups. The brass choir, because it fits the original SATB form of the work nicely. Hearing it live is the best part of any writing effort.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I really liked this one. As Randy said it is a little higher in the register.

Maybe our ears have come accustomed to the higher frequencies of modern electronics. Like my Apple ear buds.

Phil
    Phil,

It is like listening to a men choir vs a mixed SATB choir. It definately takes some getting used to. But the end result is really very satisfying. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Very nice work, Gary.
    It made me think of the time of Gabreli when Brass was the dominant form of the days. Low Brass & High Brass clubs-all written specifically to be played in the Cathedrals of the period. I was thinking of the early choices in AMBIANCE for Cathedral sounds(or is ,that an eronius memory?)
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Very nice work, Gary.
    It made me think of the time of Gabreli when Brass was the dominant form of the days. Low Brass & High Brass clubs-all written specifically to be played in the Cathedrals of the period. I was thinking of the early choices in AMBIANCE for Cathedral sounds(or is ,that an eronius memory?)
    Gary
    Gary,

I am glad that you enjoyed this work. It is interesting to realize that brass has played an enormously important role in music through the ages. Not in the least the low brass, if not as the foundation support, then also in solo and lead roles.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thanks for posting this! Great tune/arrangement and it's always good to have a rendered / real-life comparison. I had fun listening to both.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast