• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: teeny tiny little strad/gofriller sample in Finale 2008a

Share/Bookmark

teeny tiny little strad/gofriller sample in Finale 2008a

here's a tiny little file I did today, just to test something with Finale 2008a and the solo Garritan strings...
    I write this little trio (only a few measures) for which I created an articulation that I HOPED would force the use of portamenti. So there's a rather excessive use of portamento in this little demo.

I'm wondering how I might go about making even heavier "sliding".

the glissando feature in Finale seems to create a "fingered" glissando... it sounds like a slurred scale more than a real glissando.

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/example...emo_finale.mp3

Re: teeny tiny little strad/gofriller sample in Finale 2008a

Michel,

I have no technical advice to give - but I thought this sounded wonderful! The portamenti were very well done, and sounded quite realistic.

Lovely snippet, as well.

Happy New Year!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thank-you

I made an articulation (invisible - well, HALF visible - horizonal line, that appears below the note, and outside the staff, so it's nice and unobstrusive) that basically lengthens the note to which it is attached... the only problem is it doesn't quite do the same thing as when I have overlap while playing on the keyboard.. that's where I get that HEAVY portamento... I'd like to be able to do THAT effect in notation.

EDIT****

AHA!
    Eureka!
    I figured out how to get a "scoop" effect in notation!

The only problem is I mustn't use any slurs over the notes or else HumanPlayback ignores my articulations!

One articulation on the "scoop from" note
    "change duration"
    note value (for both top and bottom) = 150%

and another articulation on the "scoop TO" note
    "change attack" = -20 (top and bottom note) value are NOT percentages
    AND
    "change velocity" = 40 (top and bottom note) values ARE percentages

If the velocity of the "scoop to" note is high it doesn't portamento.

This works even if the dynamic is set to forte.

I chose a times new roman font (item 151) for the first articulation, set to invisible in the font selection dialogue.

and for the second articulation I chose times new roman font (item 47) "/" set to invisible as well.

I updated the little demo file above to the new articulations.

This is a great start and I can tell we will be receiving great things from you as you experiment! A post made recently with the Strad done with Overture (I think) tells us that using these instruments used with notation has great promise!

Thanks for sharing - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Thumbs up Re: teeny tiny little strad/gofriller sample in Finale 2008a

It sounds fantastic, Michel!

Thanks so much for posting this info on how you achieved this. I will experiment with using this, if it will work in Finale 2007.

David

Hello, Michel

Reading your second post on this thread, with your "Eureka" description of how you got Finale to do what you wanted with the solo strings reminded me once again how --amazing it is, the acrobatics notation users have to go through sometimes. Things that take a few moments, and are usually intuitively clear in a DAW can call for so many calculations and score insertions when done in notation--boggles my brain.

"...If the velocity of the "scoop to" note is high it doesn't portamento..."

There's the key to what you were grappling with. Low velocities=heavy portamento, high velocities=no portamento. Lower velocities are often needed for the first note of a passage, unless an aggressive attack is needed, but then with notes overlapping, it's the higher velocities that will avoid the constant slippery slope sliding effect.

Randy B.

Composition wise. . . this is beautiful! I wish there was more!!

Rendering wise. . . well done! Congratulations on making it work well with your notation program!

By the way, I purchased the Gofriller Cello during the Holiday Sale. Looking forward to when it's delivered so that I can start experimenting too!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece. And, Happy New Year!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hi Randy...

the funny thing is, I've been reading some of the posts on using the Strad and Gofriller, and honestly, to my mind, the sequencer methods also seem like acrobatics! (not to mention, some of it sounds like Greek to me)

The method I described above, creates two articulations, and those are saved with your default document, so once they're created - which takes a minute or two - they're there for whenever you need them.

I guess if you've never used Finale it might sound all cryptic, mysterious and complicated.. hehehe, but it's actually quite simple.

Most of what you would need to "draw in" as controller data in a sequencer is actually handled "behind the scenes" by HumanPlayback and us notation users don't even think about it.

Volume and phrasing is just perfectly standard notational elements, which we're just so used to entering in our scores.. it's a snap.

The real difference is that notation users don't have the same microscopic control over the performance data as sequencer users. Most of us don't really want it either...

There's a huge amount of scooping and glissing in my file, but I did that on purpose. Without my "new" articulation, it plays back with a perfectly normal legato.

Just entering two notes = plays back lightly "détaché", or bowed seperately.
    Two notes with a slur over = slurred, single bow sound, with no real sliding.
    Two notes with my articulation (no slur) = a "scooping" sound like in the recording above.

Sadly, for the time being, placing a slur over two notes negates the effect of my articulations. I'll need to speak to Robert P. about how we can get around that.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Michel

Reading your second post on this thread, with your "Eureka" description of how you got Finale to do what you wanted with the solo strings reminded me once again how --amazing it is, the acrobatics notation users have to go through sometimes. Things that take a few moments, and are usually intuitively clear in a DAW can call for so many calculations and score insertions when done in notation--boggles my brain.

"...If the velocity of the "scoop to" note is high it doesn't portamento..."

There's the key to what you were grappling with. Low velocities=heavy portamento, high velocities=no portamento. Lower velocities are often needed for the first note of a passage, unless an aggressive attack is needed, but then with notes overlapping, it's the higher velocities that will avoid the constant slippery slope sliding effect.

Randy B.

And thank-you Del, David and Ted

I'm just really glad I could get it to work with Finale. I seem to recall being told that the violin didn't integrate as well into Finale, but it seems to work just as easily as the cello.

I'm going to be playing around with it lots more.. I have a violin concerto to write now. I was just waiting on my Strad to start.

That was very interesting for me - gave me an idea of what's possible. And for just a sketch, well worth listening to as a piece of music.

Owen

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast