• Register
  • Help

Topic: Altiverb efficiency

Share/Bookmark

Altiverb efficiency

I earlier had GS3 with Giga Pulse installed on my computer, but, as it was not a dedicated computer I had so many crashes I took it off. I'm going to get GVI which will, reportedly, be much more stable.
    My question is about Convo/reverbs. With Giga Pulse it taxed my CPU. I have a P4, 2.8. With 2 instances of Giga Pulse the CPU was hard pressed. Is it true that Altiverb runs much more efficiently. Their Altiverb video claims they got 26 instances of Altiverb on a P3 before maxing out. I'd be happy with 4-6 instances.
    Dave M.

Re: Altiverb efficiency

well..4 instances of altiverb with no cpu saving measures, running at a 256 buffersize in Cubase sx.3.1 uses around 20-25% of the available cpu on my brand new core2quad computer, with 4 Gb ram and Windows xp.
    So i doubt very much it is possible to run 30 instances on a old p3 machine...

On my older p4 pc, i could barely run 3 altiverbs before it came to grinding halt. And then there was not much room left for anthing else in terms of memory and cpu headroom...

That's odd. I just listened to the video again to make sure I heard it right.
    quote - An off the shelf $500 2 GHz P3 machine maxed out at 28 instances of Altiverb Concert Halls - unquote. From what you say, and I believe you, it's not any better than Gigapulse efficiency wise. Puts out some beautiful sounds though. Dave M.

well, it might be overly stressing the cpu(s) becouse sx3 is not very elegant at handling multi threading, but still: 30 Altiverbs on a p3? i think not.

maybe if you turn the buffersize to 2000 and remove any realtime possibilities , with the "high latency Cpu saving mode" on, it might allow for more altiverbs, but then...the point of having a great reverb is sorta lost.

It might not be the most cpu grabbing reverb out there, but i suspect it eats more ram to compensate.

So in the end, its always the same...more realism = more computer power.

Go Back to forum