• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can you hide MIDI ports offered by GS3

Share/Bookmark

Can you hide MIDI ports offered by GS3

Hi, folks.

GS3 publishes a large amount of MIDI ports. When I click the input menu in Nuendo 3, I get "Giga3 Port 1, Channel 1" through "Giga3 Port 7, Channel 16" for a total of 112 ports whether GS is running or not. As you can imagine, this floods the popup menu, causing several usability issues.

Is there a way to configure GS to limit or alter the way it publishes its MIDI ports? It would be great if it could simply publish "Giga3 Port n" since you can set the channel number in the sequencer.

Haven't had much luck in the manual, so I thought I'd invoke a higher power and see if anyone else has solved this problem.

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Can you hide MIDI ports offered by GS3

Hello Christopher.

I believe that would be a menu item somewhere in the sequencer/notation program/DAW application. For example, in sonar, one can activate or de-activate virtual midi ports in the same dialog (options|midi devices) as hardware midi devices, such that only the ones selected will appear in any relevant drop-down menus.

Have a look through your app's midi configuration dialog(s)- I'd bet it's in there somewhere. GS definitely does not have control over it; it simply publishes all ports. Strange to me that you're seeing port and channel in the same list; in sonar, the port and channel are each selected fom within their own drop-downs, so it doesn't flood the GUI even if all ports and channels are available.

Best,
    Belbin

Hi, Belbin.

I believe you're right, as I don't get the behavior in Sonar, just Nuendo. I'm pursuing it on their forums, hopefully I'll find a way to quiet the menus down.

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I haven't tried it, but can you hide individual ports by tweaking the registry?

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/faq/10entrye.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I haven't tried it, but can you hide individual ports by tweaking the registry?

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/faq/10entrye.htm
    Hey, Jon.

Good to hear from you. Hope you had a good holiday season. That was some interesting info, thanks for the link. It's nice stuff to know.

Unfortunately, it solves the opposite problem where a device isn't accessible. In my case, GS3 is all too accessible. I rather suspect it's an oversight in the way Nuendo coded their query of MIDI devices, since that architecture has been through an overhaul between N2 and N3. Fortunately, it's incredibly clumsy but not a showstopper as I can still access the menu if I leave the mouse still for the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to build the menu.

As audio problems go, I suppose I'm lucky that it's something pesky rather than critical...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Hi Christopher, there is a way to hide midi ports in Cubase. Not sure for Nuendo but since these two apps are brothers, it may be at the same place.

-Menu Devices, go in Device Setup.
    -In the MIDI Folder, go to Windows MIDI
    -From there you can Show or Hide all your MIDI ports.

I hope it helps.
    Nicolas
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy
    Hi Christopher, there is a way to hide midi ports in Cubase. Not sure for Nuendo but since these two apps are brothers, it may be at the same place.

-Menu Devices, go in Device Setup.
    -In the MIDI Folder, go to Windows MIDI
    -From there you can Show or Hide all your MIDI ports.

I hope it helps.
    Nicolas
    Hi, Nicolas.

The UI appears to be similar. However, under Device Setup / MIDI, I have 4 subfolders:

All MIDI Inputs
    Default MIDI Ports
    DirectMusic
    Windows MIDI

With the exception of Default MIDI Ports (two drop downs to let you select defaults), the other three are empty.

Thanks just the same, I appreciate the help!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum