Quite a complex piece and it's sounding very good. Something beyond your control - I know you work with Finale, and it's just seeming, after hearing a number of CMB pieces, some done with notation, others with DAWs- that it seems to be more difficult to get a believable result via notation than a DAW. I mean with CMB in particular.
I've said in other threads that I'm certain it has to do with "note on" events being quantized by necessity in notation, and without a lot of editing or "humanizing" - the results of those notes sounding too perfectly together sounds very much to me like an organ. I know CMB can sound great, I'm just commenting that what I call the "organ effect" is here in your file--If I walked in on the middle, I'm sure I'd think I was hearing the recording of an Organ performance, at least for awhile.
Be that as it may, you've done a lot of work on this and it's sounding pretty good. Thanks.
Thanks for listening Cransworth.
Finale and Garritan don't seem to deliver large crescendi.
Some instruments such as the cornets(3 parts) don't achieve volume equal to horns & trombones.
I used the mixer to lower by 50% the volume of the 4 sax parts and
even written at pppp they overpowered the cornet.
Writing out these parts with a mouse consumes a great deal of time & energy-not to mention the skill of transferring every aspect of each parts articulation, dynamic range and choice of note per part.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I wasn't meaning to criticize you, if it seemed like that. I was just pointing out the troubles. This is a really hard piece for a computer program to play well, though. You've probably done as well as the program let you. I couldn't really explain this because I had to go right when I started writing the post, so I just wrote a quick summary. This is my favorite movement in the whole suite, so it would be hard for it to live up to my expectation.
Thanks for replying.
I think criticism based upon clear points & ideas about how to fix are a frequent outcome from posting.
When I get in a groove and finished 5 or 6 pieces in a week, it's difficult not to post. Other times I have lower production.