• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concepts (work in progress)

Share/Bookmark

Concepts (work in progress)

Hi all,

I'm having to write a jazz piece for a video for a client.. never had to write jazz before.. thankfully I had JABB so I was able to throw something together. It's called "Concepts" on this page:

http://mikeducharme.myknet.org/wip.html

It's music for a video taped conference about psychology.. The music only plays during a 10 second still shot of each presenter before they give their respective presentation as well as at the beginning credits and the end credits of the video (which show very very peaceful city summer nature scenes, like trees in an empty courtyard and ducks floating in a pond etc so if I made the music too exciting it would overpower both the psychology conference as well as the trees/ducks).

Would welcome constructive criticism as this is my first jazz piece ever so I'm still trying to figure out how this jazz thing works.

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Concepts (work in progress)

Hi Mike,

Definitely a nice first attempt at jazz. Nice, light-sunding chords and airy melody.
    Would've liked a bit more movement/energy or chord changes--liked what you did at the 1:00 and 1:45 mark. Nice melody but gets a bit repetitive--perhaps a bit more variation in the repeats. I'm not a jazz expert by and stretch of the imagination--just some thoughts. Thanks for posting this

Hi Dalek

Nice project you have going! And what you have so far is sounding good. The chord progression is pleasant, and seems good for the project.

Here, one thought that struck me after reading how you said it will be used and then hearing the track - It could be smoother. It will be playing for a few seconds, segueing between speakers, the mood is all to be mellow - The thing that's making it less tranquil and smooth than it could be is that the bass is very prominent and playing in the same rhythm as the piano. The results are a bit "lurching."

I would try to avoid having the bass play on every chord, and I would also try breaking the chords up more. I would keep experimenting with whatever occurs to you to keep the music more subdued and flowing, as it needs to be for the presentation.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by lesotho72
    Would've liked a bit more movement/energy or chord changes--liked what you did at the 1:00 and 1:45 mark. Nice melody but gets a bit repetitive--perhaps a bit more variation in the repeats.
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

I know it would have been nicer to have more movement but unfortunately the video that this will go with does not work very well with that. Sometimes there is text on the screen too, like in the introduction, that people need to read, and so if the music is too busy or interesting it distracts from reading the text.

Ordinarily I would have put more work into getting this tailored to every scene but I'm doing this particular project as a freebie as the client has given me other work in the past.. as I have other responsibilities of course I decided to try my best to do a one-size-fits-all jazzy track that would work in any of the scenes, with text or without, and still work OK.

I will of course consider the variations part.. I know there isn't much variation in there, and if this was a paying gig I'd spend a lot more time writing the repeats of the "A" section to make them more varied. The end credits was so long that I had to make this piece twice the length I originally intended so...

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Here, one thought that struck me after reading how you said it will be used and then hearing the track - It could be smoother. It will be playing for a few seconds, segueing between speakers, the mood is all to be mellow - The thing that's making it less tranquil and smooth than it could be is that the bass is very prominent and playing in the same rhythm as the piano. The results are a bit "lurching."

I would try to avoid having the bass play on every chord, and I would also try breaking the chords up more. I would keep experimenting with whatever occurs to you to keep the music more subdued and flowing, as it needs to be for the presentation.
    Hi,

Thank you very much for this feedback.. this is particular interesting to me as I am definately trying to avoid the piece from being "lurching" and make it as background as possible while preferably still being able to stand on its own.

On my speakers (I haven't invested in good monitors yet) the bass is not particularly prominent.. but definately I will look into that and also experimenting with the bass not playing with every chord. I haven't really listened to much jazz before so I hadn't noticed how independant the piano rhythms are from the bass rhythms..

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Randy had some fine suggestions; to which I might add
    that I think maybe the brushes are a bit over-used... at
    least for my taste.

Nice laid-back writing in this piece, Mike, on the overall;
    you've got a good start going into this.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum