• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Finally posting some music!

Share/Bookmark

OT: Finally posting some music!

Hello Everybody,
    I've been here for quite some time already, not posting too much, but reading this fantastic forum every day. And since I just started my home page and actually never posted any of my music here, I thought it might be a good time to let you hear some of my works and ask what you think about it. You're all welcome to comment both the music (and videos) and the webpage itself. This was my first time to even try to make a site, so I'm sure it's not perfect, but... hey, it works!
    Here it goes:
    www.henrykiwan.com

I wish you all have a great 2008, full of peace and love, and great music of course!

Cheers!

Re: OT: Finally posting some music!

Nice work!
    Both the web site and music are cool. You compose very well.

Would you mind giving us more info about the libs you used?
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Very Nice!

You seem to have good samples. You use VSL right? I'd love to know what samples we hear in your demos? I like the strings in the first demo.

Wonderful music indeed!

Thanks for your comments! Yes, this is VSL, with some EQing. And nothing else - it's the only orchestral library I have. I don't complain about that of course Though I wish I had it full, because I got only 'Level 1' which is a little bit limiting. But most of all, I wish I was better in mixing, as I'm still not satisfied with the mix. In the first 2 pieces, I used mostly (almost 100%) the Saplicity's great IRs, used within Altiverb. Those IRs and the Altiverb's own IRs are absolutely great, it's just me not being able to make it sound how I'd like to. And how I'd like it to sound? Well, I'm always totally in love with the works (recording and mixing) of Malcolm Luker - the guy behind Deja Vu, Number 23 and I guess most of Harry Gregson-William's music. His sound is always so clear, lush, big and...and... OHHHH, I WANNA SOUND LIKE THAT!! I'm a total amateur engineer (or should I say that I'm just NO engineer), completely self-taught, just using my ears and trial/error, but I think there's really little reverb in those (his) mixes and there has to be some other "trick" thanks to which it doesn't sound dry but... this "special way". Yeah, I know, it's the real orchestra, but I don't think it is the reason. Maybe they're using some particular and great hardware, but my guess is they have though of something, some kind of trick that make it sound so incredible. You know, one of those "secrets", like putting everything through an old washing machine found in the garbage in late 70s (), that you would never think of and seems insane, but has a great result
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

lol... Well I'm no engineer either believe me. The whole process intimidate me a lot. I'll have to look into Malcolm Luker, sounds interesting. I think you're not bad at all BTW. The strings sound good to my ears in the first 2 demos. There's only one phrase that stick out a little toward the end of the second demo.

I see you have a BEHRINGER_BCF2000 in your setup. I'm seriously considering buy it but i was worried because it's not touch sensitive, is it hard to work with it not being touch sensitive? Let say you want to over write something you did, do you have to punch record in right before the changes you want to make? How does that work? And is it noisy? I'd love to hear you comments on that?

Thank you!

P.S. Nice little clean and tight setup BTW...

yeah, i really liked your music. I just thought your oboe like was very very loud especially in the intro part. I might be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I see you have a BEHRINGER_BCF2000 in your setup. I'm seriously considering buy it but i was worried because it's not touch sensitive, is it hard to work with it not being touch sensitive?
    No, it's not that bad, although it definitley can be considered imperfect. Let me give you an example of how it works with overwriting in Cubase, which I'm using.
    Lets assume you have a recorded automation/movement from 5th to 10th second of your song and you want to change the fragment from 6 to 8. You need to have 'read automation' OFF, because you can't record (overwrite) automation when read is ON - when the fader is moving - as it just doesn't react (not recording, regardless of "write" being ON. No to mention that you would be forcing the moving fader which certainly isn't healthy.. So we switch it OFF but turn the write ON - yes, already at the beginning, even before hitting play so you won't have to bother during the playback. It WILL NOT overwrite anything until you make a first movement of the fader. The only problem is that it doesn't know when you have finished, so you have to switch the 'write' OFF at the moment you want to stop. If something is not right, it's always quite easy to correct it a little bit with just the mouse.

Yes, it is loud. But it certainly can depend on the actual piece you happen to have. And I say "certainly" because the 8 faders of my BCF are different. Most of them are loud, but 2 of them are MUCH quieter. So you might have the luck to come across a piece with 8 silent faders. It would be best to test it before purchase. And the loudness is actually the biggest problem IMHO, it's simply annoying and disturbing. But I still like this device and considering the price, I'd say it's worth the money.

Hope this helps!
    NorthernSounds.NET.

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOOLSGUY
    yeah, i really liked your music. I just thought your oboe like was very very loud especially in the intro part. I might be wrong though.
    Thank you! Yeah, I have some problems with that, and later the flute+clarinet is a little too quiet in some short fragment. But I couldn't find satisfying results with just changing the volume. I feel it's more the overall mix, the positioning in space, maybe the "space" itself... something is not right and I really hope to learn more and be able to make it sound really great someday
    NorthernSounds.NET.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanatsu
    Thank you! Yeah, I have some problems with that, and later the flute+clarinet is a little too quiet in some short fragment. But I couldn't find satisfying results with just changing the volume. I feel it's more the overall mix, the positioning in space, maybe the "space" itself... something is not right and I really hope to learn more and be able to make it sound really great someday

yeah, because it's just weird. Oboe sounds like right into the face, and strings are way back there..if you can fix those gaps, your compositions sound very good. They really are good.

Go Back to forum