• Register
  • Help

Topic: Flute Concerto

Flute Concerto

Hi All,

This is my first posting here. This is a piece written last October for Flute, Strings and Timpani...

I would love to hear any feedback.

John Driscoll

Shelton, Washington State

Re: Flute Concerto

Hello John and welcome to the forum or at least the listening room.

I liked your flute concerto. I thought some places were very emotive and it sounds like you are serious about it. It felt wagnerian in places to me which I like. You really got the big sound.

Technically it sounds like you're using a notation program which can make it sound a little choppy. Others can tell you more about this.

The verb was a little down in the hole sounding to me, especially on the faster passages with the flute.

I also noticed some volume change issues in a few places that seemed unnatural.

I'm no expert at all this so wait for others opinions. It's just what I'm

Also, if you want folks to listen to your music don't use esnips because it's mess for the listener to get to the file. Try Box.net.

Hello, John - Welcome to The Listening Room.

It's exciting to hear your first post here - This made for a very arresting listening experience for me. I enjoyed its drama very much - and a very effective choice of instrumentation. String arrangement especially swept me away, beautiful work.

It will be interesting to know how you work. Technical feedback could be tailored more depending on what kind of software you use.

I'll add that I think I understand Phil's comment about the reverb. Experimenting with a lighter touch on it could be worthwhile to try.

And I STrongly second the hope that you try a different site other than Esnips. Some of us have just pretty much given up on it, with all the pop-ups and junky pages of ads, and a player that doesn't work for a lot of people etc. "Box" is a nice, simple, effective site, as Phil pointed out.

I found this a very impressive, serious minded piece which was full of genuine passion. Thank you!

Randy B.

When I first saw your post I only saw Flute and tympani and thought ...this should be interesting. My mistake-missed the strings!

A big welcome to the forum!

I will reserve more comments until I find out more about how you did this (notation or live etc) otherwise I may put my foot in my mouth. But I really like where you are going with this and it shows real promise. I especially liked the slow flute and string passages starting about half way through. Getting the technical aspects of mixing and reverb are difficult even for those of us with some previous experience

I hope you like it here! Thanks for sharing! - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

A warm welcome aboard, John!

And an oustanding introduction. Superb, compelling writing in
    this engaging, highly emotive work; beautifully built, flawlessly

Rendering matters I will leave to others more astute. My sole
    suggestion would be on the "conducting", wherein I'd like to have
    heard more vigor and perhaps quicker tempi in much of the
    opening material.

I don't hand these out lightly or often, but this definitely deserves
    a resounding...

Bring us more, John!

My best,

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I compose using Finale exclusively (currently 2006). Given that, I would love some advice on how to make the rendering better (I think I just the used the preset Concert Hall 2 ambience reverb). This is not an area I know really anything about and I definitely agree that there is great room for improvement when I make the audio files.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdrisc
    This is an absolutely great achievement. Congratulations.

It is a good idea to omit all the woodwinds from the orchestration because it emphasizes the character of the solo flute. A solo flute player might want some more points of breath. Also I think the solo part can show some more virtuosity to show off a contrast to the orchestra. Before ending, I wish to have some rhythmic section but this is only my taste. The calm ending is beautiful.

The idea to repeat the first motif throughout the tune is very clever and it gives the entire music a cohesive power.

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed the music very much.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Cool Re: Flute Concerto

Quote Originally Posted by jrdrisc
    Hi All,

This is my first posting here. This is a piece written last October for Flute, Strings and Timpani...

I would love to hear any feedback.

John Driscoll
    Great modern flute concerto!

Genuine dramatic feeling, I enjoyed it very much! Beautiful dissonant intervals with a transparent well balanced orchestration.

The slow middle section has a depth of a Gluckian flute solo, but from a much more modern era!

Thank you for sharing!

Wow! Great writing. I'm with Randy - the string writing is just gorgeous, especially in the opening of the slow section.

To my ear, I would have preferred the flute to be a little more forward in the mix - a little less reverb on it would help, as others have commented.

This would be great to hear live. Excellent composition.

Welcome to the listening room.
    This is a great way to introduce yourself. Nice composition with great rendering skills.

Others have mentioned the few and minor drawbacks, but still a great piece.

Well Done

Go Back to forum