• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Innocence of the Lamb

Share/Bookmark

Innocence of the Lamb

Here's a little string chamber group and piano playing a piece that will (hopefully) be part of a collaboration with my brother on a Christmas Suite for next year. It was fun to develop and I hope you enjoy listening to it.

Innocence of the Lamb

Thanks to all who listen and Happy New Year!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Innocence of the Lamb

Hey, that was a nicely done joyful piece.

It sounds like you would want to dance to it which would be good for burning off some of those holiday calories.

It sounds like the Stad and the Gofriller. Right?

The addition of the soon to be released Garritan Steinway would be nice.

Get your card ready and have a good one!

Phil

Hi, Rich

I'm loving this a lot. Very infectious, lightly rolling waltz that has a great appeal to me.

My, you're starting early on music for Christmas--Good for you and your brother!

Enjoyable quote from "Greensleeves" in the middle - "What Child is This" actually. I tend to think first of the original secular version of that wonderful and very early song.

Mixing-wise, I found the Piano far too soft. It's providing an important texture to the piece and I'd like to hear it more clearly.

I believe you've used GPO solo strings haven't you? They seem especially successful in this, more so than in pieces that require longer sustaining notes.

Thank you, beautiful!

Randy B.

Rich -

I can't wait for Christmas 2008 when your Christmas Suite is completed! (Actually, I can wait for the 2008 Christmas seeing how I'm still celebrating Christmas 2007. But I would be more than happy to listen to the completed suite anytime!

This is a nice composition! I, very much, enjoyed the "quotes". It is very cool that you are working with your brother to produce/create this Christmas Suite. What a wonderful project to do together! How do you divide up the creation of the project? Who does what?? Just curious.

One comment, though. I agree with Randy that the some of the piano passages are maybe too low in the mix. There were a couple of piano runs that were difficult to hear. Could they be brought out?? Yes? No?

Beautiful composition! I am looking forward to listening to the rest of the suite when completed. Thank you for sharing your music. And Happy New Year!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Phil,
    Thanks for listening. You are right about the Holiday feasting. Time to get up and move lightly on our feet!

It sounds like the Stad and the Gofriller. Right?
    Unfortunately - WRONG
    Didn't find either one under the Christmas Tree this year.

But thanks for the kind of side door compliment. I did try to caress each of the GPO Solo KS instruments into the best sound I could get from them. I want to tell you that took a little bit of time.

Rich

Randy,
    You are right it does have a waltz flavor to it but, actually, it is in 6/8 and in a quasi Rondo format: A A' B A' C A B A" A (I think I remember that correctly).

Mixing-wise, I found the Piano far too soft. It's providing an important texture to the piece and I'd like to hear it more clearly.
    You are probably right on the mixing of the piano. I was afraid to let it get too loud and drown the pretty string lines that I had coaxed so much out of. If you listen again, you will hear the re-mix. Boy, how I love to move sliders up and down like I were a famous sound engineer or something.

And finally, you are right, they are all GPO Solo Strings KS.

However, you did miss one other quoted piece of music.

Thanks again for listening,

Rich

Ted,
    [QUOTE]This is a nice composition! I, very much, enjoyed the "quotes". It is very cool that you are working with your brother to produce/create this Christmas Suite. What a wonderful project to do together! How do you divide up the creation of the project? Who does what?? Just curious.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you and I'm glad you got all the quotes!

It is nice to collaborate with a brother, especially a twin. Although, most of the time every thinks we are on the same wave length. We stopped buying each other birthday and Christmas gifts because they were always the same. So now we just buy for our selves and put a tag on it from our brother.

We both work out pieces on our own and then share the files and ideas for tweaking and/or suggestions. Finale files are small enough to send by email as are mp3's of mixes. We occassionally get together (though it is over an hour drive to each others place) and work on ideas.

The piano mix has been changed per yours and Randy's suggestion so you might want to listen again!

Thanks for listening and commenting

Rich

A little light on piano, Rich; but the writing on this --
    heck of a fine job! Lot of nicely done close dialogue
    in this (you know I always like that); good contrast;
    full-forward energy... quality work, my friend!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,
    Thanks so much for the comments. You are right, I wrote a very unimportant part for the piano. I felt the other players had the major role in this piece and the piano was basically there for rhythmic support and a little color on the C section. Keyboard is not my forte and I tend to be simplistic when writing for it.

When I do write more extensive piano parts, my wife (who is a pianist) says that they are nearly unplayable due to the lack of knowledge (on my part) of the techniques of playing a keyboard instrument. She says it is not that the parts I wrote can't be played but that the parts could be laid out differently to make it more idiomatic for the instrument.

Rich

Rich, I wasn't clamming the piano part -- I just thought
    it should be a little more present in the mix... lol.

As far as "playability"... it depends on your target. If
    you're writing for a moderately skilled, work-a-day average
    pianist, you do need to watch your p's and q's. On the
    other hand, the best concert players have seven hands,
    so they can play darned near anything.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast