• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2008 and Garritan Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Finale 2008 and Garritan Instruments

(I already posted this in Garritan Libraries forum but found no replies, this is just to get feedback to my questions faster, sorry for the inconvenience of double posting, I really am)
    Hello. This is my first post on these northernsounds.com forum so I'm hoping I came to the right place and right subforum to share my problem with you. Firstly, let me just introduce a little about what kind of programs etc and PC setup I have. I'm using Finale 2008 (.r2) which comes with 1.49 GB of something that's called 'Garritan Instruments for Finale' [GIF]. Well, okay. Using the setup wizard, I notice that I've got 2 following instrument sets at my disposal: Garritan Instruments for Finale and SmartMusic Softsynth. Thus I choose the Garritan set. Finally I get to the sheet view and can start composing stuff. Yay. Not quite. Under MIDI/Audio I have 'Play Finale through VST selected'. Think it's supposed to be like this. However, when I launch VST setup, I see this: http://www.zone.ee/ziili/VST-setup.gif There's no Garritan Instruments, only that SoftSynth, which sounds the best I've heard.. for a MIDI. But how can I hear the Garritan Instruments that came with the program, how can I use them in my compositions and perhaps make some of my older compositions (which are in .mid format) play with those, too? Also, am I not supposed to be able to set ambience reverb (which is grey in the picture) ? Finally, how can I get to using Kontakt player and its resources? I am either completely missing something or just plain stupid, but I don't get what I'm supposed to do. I've read a couple of forums, tried searching but this made it all the more confusing to me. So, if you have any further questions about my problem that need answering, just write here and I can elaborate any time. But in your replies, please bear in mind that I'm not really experienced with these things, so it would be greatly appreciated if you provided a step-by-step guide or at least told me what's the exact cause of my problem so I could google again and find the answer out there. Anyway, hoping to see a warm welcome and looking forward to your replies so I can get started, knowing my libraries work as they should and maybe share my first compositions with Garritan instruments with you. Thanks in advance,

Brindle

Re: Finale 2008 and Garritan Instruments

Why wouldn't you please help me? A little update anyway: my Kontakt Player wasn't installed properly before, so I think I fixed that and can access it from Finale 2008, however, it won't load any of these instruments that came with the Finale install (Garritan Instruments for Finale), it says the patch is encrypted and I must register my library before using them.. like what? how do I do that? Hoping to see more replies,

Brindle

Brindle,

The Garritan instruments for Finale should have been installed as part of the regular Finale install. The Finale registration will register these samples at the same time. Did you change any of the installation parameters? It's best to just accept the standard installation in most cases. With a standard install, when you begin a new file using the setup wizard and choosing the Garritan instruments at that time, everything gets loaded correctly.

Make sure you go through the Finale tutorials to get a basic understanding of the program. That will help a lot.

I use a Mac, so I can't give you any specific help, but you could also try posting your problem on the Finale forum.
    http://forum.makemusic.com/

Good luck,
    Jeff

Hi, Sometimes it takes a little time for these posts to be seen. I will try to help you if I can. I have Finale 2008 on my computer but I am not familiar with the problems you are having. I remember when installing, you have a choice of including the Garritan Instruments for Finale with the installation. I think the default includes it. So the installer sets up Finale and the Kontakt Player2 with the Garritan Instruments for Finale. Perhaps you will need to register the Kontakt Player with Native Instruments. If you haven't been through this before, just go to www.nativeinstruments.com and download the NI Service Center. Then launch it and follow through the procedure. It finds any NI products on your computer and automatically helps you authorize them for use. This would be the best place to start. Good luck, John

That's exactly what I'm saying, the install and everything was default and I chose to install those Garritan instruments (by default they are put in a separate folder, not in Finale's one). I only changed the folder name a bit. After the install, Kontakt Player 2 folder was present but seemed to be missing a lot of files, there weren't any .dll's or .exe's. I fixed that, got a lot more files there now and I can launch it either by clicking the exe or going there from Finale VST setup. My finale is registered and authorized and everything, so I (logically) assumed everything was set once the install finished. So, one of the problems (no Kontakt Player) is fixed now, but another one (it won't load my Garritan Instruments) is still present. I have NI service center and it says the Kontakt Player (v 2.2.3) is activated.. so that's where I am as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brindle
    I only changed the folder name a bit.
    I bet this is the problem. You can't change any names of folders or move folders around after the install.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    I bet this is the problem. You can't change any names of folders or move folders around after the install.

Jeff
    I did it during the install, meaning that when the installer prompted to save the instruments to C:/Program Files/Garritan Instruments for Finale I changed it in the install to C:/Program Files/Garritan Instruments [Finale 2008]. I can attempt a reinstall, though.

EDIT: Okay, did a reinstall and noticed a couple of things, which I fixed. I can now use the instruments as I'm supposed to. Only setback is that during saving, I get these cracks and rumbles (you know.. like the PC can't handle all that, it's just 3 instruments though..). Anything I can do to improve this?

The pops and crackles could be a result of an underpowered processor and/or not enough ram. In your Finale 2008 help section, put in "GPO" as a search term. One of the categories that should come up is GPOHP performance tips. Read that section to learn how to get the most out of your system.

Also in the 2008a update, a new feature was added. Now when you save your file as an audio file, it does not do this in real time. It works at the speed of your processor. So any pops that you hear during Finale playback should be gone in the audio recording.

JT

Thanks! Everything's set now and I can move on to tutorials and exercises, you'll probably hear from me soon

glad to hear things have improved with your setup. One more thing that may help is to make sure you keep your hard drives defragmented. John

Go Back to forum