• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using GPO with Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Question Using GPO with Sibelius

Hi. And Happy '08

Hope you can help with this: I am really at a loss how to make use of what seem to be some pretty nifty playback options available with GPO.

I am using GPO with Sibelius 5.1.0 (just updated) on a a Mac Mini running OS 10.4.11

I realize that mod wheel options are not available in notation programs as they are in Cubase, Performer, etc. But is there a way to change (for example) my basic string sounds from section to section of a piece, making use of (for example) spiccato bowing.

I have read the Sibelius Manual but it's not helpful on this point unless I am missing something.

The Garritan website mentions 120 pages of documentation they provide with GPO, but I received none when I bought it as a package from Sibelius. Would this documentation be helpful and is it available?

Neither Sibelius not Garritan offers up-to-date tutorials (the Sibelius tutorials from Garritan are outdated), and there are no Sibelius classes that cover this subject being offered any closer than NY City.

Appreciate your help.

Clark Suprynowicz
    Berkeley, Ca.

Re: Using GPO with Sibelius

Clark,

I don't think there is a spiccato patch in GPO - but for any change (except to arco/pizz), you can set it up in the Dictionary. If you want mutes, for example, you can tell Sibelius to use the muted patch when it encounters it in the text; similarly, if you want the aggressive/short bows for accented notes, you can set that up, as well. You might post this over on the Sib board, as the exact language will be closer to what I am saying (my online computer doesn't have Sibelius on it.)

Hope this helps.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks, Ron. I got some guidance on this from a guy over at sibelius.com on their chat-line. I've got some reading to do, but it sounds like there's more variance of the sound envelope possible than I knew. We'll see how it works out.

Grade A String Sounds / the Holy Grail

If anyone is interested in the Sibelius / GPO marriage & how it's going, I now have confirmed from several folks at Sibelius tech support that bounced-bow sounds, like "spicatto" (I've also heard this described in this forum as "That machine gun effect") are not available from the GPO library.

There's a VS Special Edition with downloads available that could lick the problem. Seems that runs about 500. The hitch there - other than the price - is that Dan Spreadbury at Sibelius estimates 5 - 7 sounds are the maximum you could load in before things really bog down. Too much CPU is needed for real-time playback of anything other than, say, a string quintet or sextet. Or that's how it sounds to me (I keep hoping I'm going to be proved wrong, here, because I like Sibelius in so many ways & Gary has provided a great low low-budget solution to the sample library issue).

I'm heading into San Francisco this week to talk to the folks at Computers & Music about Gigastudio. Never thought I'd go down that road, but ...

Could sequencer-program users (Cubase, Performer, etc.) give me feedback on how you're doing getting realistic string playback? Especially as regards bounced-bow effects. These lazy string sounds are really messing with me, as I'm writing things that need incisive attack.

Putting staccatto markings over the notes is not really the same thing.

Re: Grade A String Sounds / the Holy Grail

Quote Originally Posted by berkeleyguy
    If anyone is interested in the Sibelius / GPO marriage & how it's going, I now have confirmed from several folks at Sibelius tech support that bounced-bow sounds, like "spicatto" (I've also heard this described in this forum as "That machine gun effect") are not available from the GPO library.

There's a VS Special Edition with downloads available that could lick the problem. Seems that runs about 500. The hitch there - other than the price - is that Dan Spreadbury at Sibelius estimates 5 - 7 sounds are the maximum you could load in before things really bog down. Too much CPU is needed for real-time playback of anything other than, say, a string quintet or sextet. Or that's how it sounds to me (I keep hoping I'm going to be proved wrong, here, because I like Sibelius in so many ways & Gary has provided a great low low-budget solution to the sample library issue).

I'm heading into San Francisco this week to talk to the folks at Computers & Music about Gigastudio. Never thought I'd go down that road, but ...

Could sequencer-program users (Cubase, Performer, etc.) give me feedback on how you're doing getting realistic string playback? Especially as regards bounced-bow effects. These lazy string sounds are really messing with me, as I'm writing things that need incisive attack.

Putting staccatto markings over the notes is not really the same thing.
    Before you give up on GPO, try adjusting the length parameter on the Kontakt Player interface. Use the Short Bows Ag patch. A very low value here (maybe around 30) coupled with a high attack velocity (>120) might give you an acceptable result.

There are some string tutorials on the Garritan site, and if I remember correctly, one dealt with the "machine gun effect". In addition to changing the length at the particular point, you can also change the velocity for each note, dynamic, etc. A bit of work, but doable. Also, look at ensemble building - sometimes just using the KS strings isn't enough; weaving in soem solo instruments can help a lot.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum