• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Problem (and odd buzzing noise)

Share/Bookmark

String Problem (and odd buzzing noise)

http://www.box.net/shared/dbqtl32ios

Okay, problem number one:

The string players get really lazy in the second phrase and decide that two tied whole notes are too long to hold out. Why is it doing this, and how can I fix it?

Second problem is a real mystery to me. It is the mysterious buzzing noise about 34 seconds into it piece (after the crescendo). I really have no clue what that is or what is making it. No instrument has a note on beat 3 of that measure.

Re: String Problem (and odd buzzing noise)

Regarding the dropout:
    1. Check your modwheel data to see that it hasn't gone to zero.
    2. Midi notes may overlap. If this is the case, this is the cause as each midi note begins by sending a "Note On" command and ends with a "Note Off." In some cases tied notes are not formed into a single extended midi note or the Notes Ons and Offs can interfere with each other.
    3. Dropouts can sometimes occur when bouncing to audio. Check to see that your CPU load isn't going too high when bouncing and that your voice-killing settings (in Kontakt Options) are on the liberal side. If the CPU load is high try bouncing tracks individually with other tracks muted.

Regarding the buzz:
    1. It's probably a system sound (Viruscan, etc). If you bounce down again do you get it at the same point?
    2. It could also be a stuck note or Kontakt-engine related thing. Again, does it happen consistently?

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Regarding the dropout:
    1. Check your modwheel data to see that it hasn't gone to zero.
    2. Midi notes may overlap. If this is the case, this is the cause as each midi note begins by sending a "Note On" command and ends with a "Note Off." In some cases tied notes are not formed into a single extended midi note or the Notes Ons and Offs can interfere with each other.
    3. Dropouts can sometimes occur when bouncing to audio. Check to see that your CPU load isn't going too high when bouncing and that your voice-killing settings (in Kontakt Options) are on the liberal side. If the CPU load is high try bouncing tracks individually with other tracks muted.

Regarding the buzz:
    1. It's probably a system sound (Viruscan, etc). If you bounce down again do you get it at the same point?
    2. It could also be a stuck note or Kontakt-engine related thing. Again, does it happen consistently?

Reegs

Dropout:
    Okay, how would someone who has no clu what any of those things are go about doing that?

Buzz:
    Yes, it's consistently.

Hiya

I think what Reegs is referring to is this: (please correct me if I'm wrong Reegs)

Note 2 is starting before Note 1 has ended, therefore, the Note 1 end is happening immediately after the Note 2 start. Ths results in the MIDI channel seeing a NOTE OFF event and killing the sound.

Check there is no overlap of the notes.

As for the buzzing, can you check in your software if there are ANY oher MIDI events happening at that time?

Sorry I m a DAW (Cubase) user, I haven't got a clue about notation software.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stutt
    Note 2 is starting before Note 1 has ended, therefore, the Note 1 end is happening immediately after the Note 2 start. Ths results in the MIDI channel seeing a NOTE OFF event and killing the sound.

Check there is no overlap of the notes.
    Spot on, Paul.
    In notation programs, the best way to remove this possibility is to delete both affected measures and the measures immediately preceeding and following them. Reinput the notes and ties from scratch. This is most likely its cause.

What notation program are you using Cransworth?

Best,
    Reegs

I'm using Finale 2008. I don't think it is a problem with the measures because the same thing happens in another place of the piece.

And no, none of the instruments come in when the buzz happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cransworth
    I'm using Finale 2008. I don't think it is a problem with the measures because the same thing happens in another place of the piece.
    In that case, I would be even more inclined to think it's a problem with note overlap. You may want to check Legato preferences (if there are any) in Finale.

And no, none of the instruments come in when the buzz happens.
    I can appreciate that no other instruments come in at that point in the recording, however, there could be some other kind of spurious MIDI event at that point. Perhaps a MIDI controller that has been inserted and not properly removed.

Are you tieing the notes together, or using the slur tool to create the tie?

If you're trying to create the tie with the smart shape slur tool (a common mistake), this is probably causing your problem. Adding a slur makes HP create a slight lengthening of the first note, which is causing the note overlap effect that everyone is talking about.

In speedy entry, create the tie by positioning the cursor on the first note and typing "=" on the keyboard. It's possible in speedy entry too, but I don't use it.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum