• Register
  • Help

Topic: Leopard/Logic 8 - Atmosphere wrapper problem..

Share/Bookmark

Leopard/Logic 8 - Atmosphere wrapper problem..

Hi,

I have a Mac Pro Quad 2.66 with 8 GB ram.

When I play just 3-4 notes on Atmosphere wrapper (06) in Logic 8 CPU goes to yellow in performance window (logic) and I get crackles and dropouts.

I have set RME Multiface to 128 (buffer). At 256 CPU usage is high too and makes instrument unusable.

It seems to work much better in Nuendo 4.

Any suggestions?
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Re: Leopard/Logic 8 - Atmosphere wrapper problem..

Hi..You need to increase the buffer size in Logic..Just the way it is..Also L8 is full of somekind of bugs...I would advice you to lose the CPU meter in the transport for one..Worthless..Also you can turn off the core-overload message in prefernces..Neither may make a difference..But not having the CPU thing will lessen your paranoia when you see it peak at anytime it likes...Also starting and stopping Logic can bring your latency down a bit if it starts to become more apparent than the larger buffer size will make it..There are two problems here..One is that the wrapper is a nice tip of the hat to us who have waited with anticipation for Atmo and Tril to become a native AU on intel machines..Also the total at any given moment thing in Logic..One day it's fine the next a nightmare..There really is no answer other than try different buffer sizes...JON

The atmosphere wrapper was nearly completely unusable for me in Logic 8. I have not yet updated to 8.0.1 (or 10.4.11 for that matter, as I'm in the middle of a couple projects) so I cannot tell you if an upgrade will help. I had my buffer settings at 1024 with not a whole lot of difference in playability.

I did notice that it is a lot less intensive CPU-wise in Cubase 4. I have a 2.33GHz MacBook Pro.

Very important to check the performance charts here:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/vie...ea969fc4cbac10

The wrapper performance varies dramatically depending on Tiger vs Leopard, which cpu and which host you are using.

I made a midi-check to compare Tiger/Leopard CPU usage and result was same.

It makes some CPU burst in Logic 8 though.

I use Atmosphere a lot so i hope we get a native version soon...
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Very important to check the performance charts here:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/vie...ea969fc4cbac10

The wrapper performance varies dramatically depending on Tiger vs Leopard, which cpu and which host you are using.
    Those charts apparently aren't available to people who haven't bought Spectrasonics products yet. Is there another way to view them?

Thanks.

I have an iMAC24, with 3GB of ram, running Logic Studio (8) with loys of different soft synths (atmos/trilogy/stylus, korg digital legacy collection, applied acoustics modelling collection, NI B4II, Pro53, FM8, Ivory, Dimension Pro, Steinberg Virtual Gtr2, Groove Agent 3).

Did an upgrade to Leopard and created a very unstable environment. (lack of drivers for my new Motif XS8 etc..). I had to back date to an original version of Tiger, and have put off upgrading to Leopard until a later date.

I have no problems with Atmos/Trilogy, using the latest wrapper, and instructions posted on the FAQ section of the Spectra website. It is a little tricky installing the updated wrapper, and the update to the AU for Mac/Intel, but all seems fine.

I needed stability more than the new bells and whistles of leopard.

Is anyone running the above soft synths with Leopard, Logic 8 successfully with Leopard?

Am using a tascam 1884 control surface via FW to the iMAC, Korg M3 Module, and Motif XS8 as master keyboard controller.

I am a new user to the forum and look forward to learning from all the experts

Go Back to forum