• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Small Sibelius question (sorry for the off-topic)

Small Sibelius question (sorry for the off-topic)

Hello other Sibelius users,

I agree with Donnie and others that Sibelius is a rock notation program, but I have a small question:

I looked in both manual and online help, but I can\'t find a way to ONLY select articulations and copy (transfer) those to another line. So WITHOUT the noteheads and other stuff. Only the stacc dots, accents etc.

Can this be done? With the Advanced Filter e.g.?

Re: Small Sibelius question (sorry for the off-topic)

There is a Sibelius list on Yahoo Groups.
    The developers themselves are on the list, and they answer questions almost immediately.

Really great list.

It looks like Advanced Filter supports selection of articulations, but I haven\'t tried it personally.

Have your tried posting to the Sib help center. It is a good forum.

Sibelius Helpcenter Web site

Hmm, I think I now see your dilema...

I just tried the Advanced Filter and it looks like articulation selection is in conjunction with note selection. You can\'t turn off selecting notes, but you can turn on selection of notes with particular articulation.

Better try Sibelius, if there is not a way to do this now, they have been very good about taking input from users for future enhancements.

Oh, I forgot to mention the User Forum on the Sib Helpcenter they refer to as the \'Chat\'

Alrighty... thank you for the suggestions.

Can this be done? With the Advanced Filter e.g.?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Unfortunately not. This is one of the few things that the selection filters cannot do. The developers are well aware of the limitation, as this has been requested many times before, and I am sure it will be addressed in the future.

Applying articulations is very quick, though, but if you have a complex phrase with lots of articulations then entering the pitches instead of the articulations might be more convenient. In that case:

a) Copy the entire phrase (articulations and all) and paste it into its destination staff.
    b) Now press the left arrow key. The first note in the phrase will be selected. Notice its duration, and how its corresponding indicator in the keypad is lit blue.
    c) Press the corresponding key on the keypad and notice how a dashed blue line now appeared to the left of the selected note. You have entered \"repitching\" mode, a very convenient way of entering new pitches for existing music without affecting note durations, articulations, etc.
    d) As long as you have the dashed line, each new pitch you enter with the keyboard or via MIDI will set the pitch of the next note, but everything else will be preserved. Using MIDI you can even enter chords this way.

Until the ability to select/copy/paste articulations is provided you might find this to be a time saving feature. Good luck!

Andrea G. Pessino (not female, just Italian)
    Blizzard Entertainment

A quick addition to clear up any confusion:

you can use the selection filters and find options to select or find the _notes_ having a particular articulation or set of articulations, but you cannot select the articulations themselves. In fact, you cannot even copy/paste an individual articulation. If you do select a fermata, for example, and then select a note and try to \"paste it\" on the note will turn into a rest with a fermata on it.

Indeed, this is a limitation and one that, hopefully, will be addressed soon. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot Apessino, you really ARE the Sibelius Maestro [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Perhaps you explained this before, but what do you use Sibelius for exactly? What\'s your \"field\" so to say?

Maarten, no problem. I\'ve used Sibelius a lot and I have been overjoyed by it.. that\'s all. If you share my enthusiasm for this piece of software you will become a master user in no time at all, believe me.

As for my \"field,\" I am a software engineer with a major game company (Blizzard Entertainment) where I do mostly \"engine\" type programming. We are currently finishing up our next title: WarCraft III.

I had a long, formal musical education back in Italy.. but I\'ll spare you the details. I use Sibelius to compose, mostly for the concert hall. I am currently working on a five movement symphonic suite, which I am very excited about and should be done this summer, a string quartet which I hope to complete by the end of the year and I have yet to start on a commission by a eastern European group for a woodwind trio. I grew up in the musical theatre (literally.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) and operatic music is still my greatest passion.

In my teenage years I wrote two \"small\" operas, one of which was staged, and I worked a lot as an accompanist for opera singers. I was a \"pro\" pianist, composer and I taught music in public schools until my early 20s. I was introduced to computers at age thirteen as part of an electronic music class at the conservatory, and from that moment on my life continually oscillated between my passions for computer entertainment and music.

Ultimately, I hope to get back to the theatre, but not before I feel I am ready for it. I occasionally write some music for our games (I did some orchestration work on the Diablo II cinematics, for example), but I tend to have.. er.. \"strong opinions\" as to what game music should be like, and since my views are not frequently shared by others, who tend to prefer a more film-music type of sound, then I rather be on the side and wait for opportunities to do things my way.

And there you go.. I am sure that\'s more than you wanted to know, so I\'ll get back to work now. Take care!

PS: I really love your music.. your sense of pacing and texture is quite extraordinary, IMHO. I predict a brilliant career for you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the inside info & for the nice compliment! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you like you could comment on my new \"Secret Rendez-vous\", a romantic piece. It\'s here: http://www.maartenspruijt.com/audio/secretrendezvous.mp3

You can e-mail me if you want ( maartenspruijt@wanadoo.nl ) or ICQ: 37834976

Thanks for the help again!

Go Back to forum