• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Steinway rocks

Share/Bookmark

The Steinway rocks

Hey, guys.

So I'm working on a song (acoustic rock), and GigaStudio is always up and running by default since the excellent Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums are my go to kit and they run under GS3.

Normally when I'm working out a piano part I just fire up GPO because it's quick, easy, and the Steinway sounds good. But I didn't realize how good until tonight. I thought, well, I have GS up already, so let's compare their GigaPiano and see which one I like best.

I was astounded by how bad it sounded in comparison to the GPO Steinway. About the best I can describe it is that it sounded like an early 80s electric piano up against the Steinway. I thought, "maybe this isn't the best one," so I loaded the MegaPiano and one other. Same results.

Mind you, I'm not a piano player, but I'd always been under the impression that the GigaPiano was supposed to be a monster. Maybe it really is that good and it just can't stand up to the Steinway. Either way, I'm incredibly impressed with the Steinway, so much so that I had to take a moment just for the purpose of saying, "whoa!"

So what's new with you guys?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: The Steinway rocks

The GPO steinway is pretty wonderful... to the point that I've had people ask who the pianist was and where it was recorded on some of my chamber music demos.

So I can only imagine that when the REAL "Steinway" comes out, it will be pretty awesome. I hope it has "demi-pedale"!!! Thats the ONE thing I miss most when playing a MIDI piano.

I think that the new Steinway from Gary will be awesome!

Many many peaople are interested of Gary`s new Steinway. And Gary knows all the other piano-libs and I think he is very sure about what he is doing here... :-)
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I use the GPO and JABB Steinways whenever I need a piano. There is at least 3 large piano libraries on my hard drive but I always go back to the Garritan ones as they sound great and don't take too many resources.

I've had quite a few people ask me what piano I'm using and they are amazed when I tell them.

Jim

Great post, Christopher

I loved reading how you affirmed for yourself and then for all of us just how great the GPO Steinway really is.

For many years now I've noted the tendency for things which become familiar, or which have just been around for awhile, to become under-appreciated, put-down even. "Familiarity breeds contempt"--something along those lines. And so I feel it's been with the GPO Steinway - it's been taken for granted, and over-shadowed for quite awhile now by an instrument most people haven't even heard a demo of - the Big special Garritan Steinway soon to be released.

There Is no Holy Grail of pianos or of Any synth, but thinking that there always just Might be one is the hype that has kept the synth industry going for decades now. I remember when I lived in Los Angeles, that there were keyboardists always in line every danged month to be among the first to get The Hot New Synth - as if the one they bought last month was already dated and yawnsville. Madness!

Obviously the big fat new Steinway program is going to be great, with all the pedals and the sophistication of its multi-samples etc. Meanwhile, we have a much more than merely "acceptable" piano right there in GPO. What a deal!

Thanks again.

Randy B.

Thumbs up Re: The Steinway rocks

Great post Chris and Happy New Year to you.

I have a 99 dollar m-audio 49e keyboard, that i got on sale for 79 dollars, and the first time i loaded GPO's Stenway onto it and hit a few notes (notice i said hit a few notes, not played a few notes ) it brought a tear to my eye i was so overwhelmed, it blew me away and it still does.

David

Hey, Leaf--I gotcha beat. I use a 49 keyboard, the good ol MK-4902 which I paid $40 for used! hehe--The most worn button on it is the octave shift!

ANd there ya go again--I think on another post recently you made it sound like you load GPO In to your keyboard. I know you don't mean it literally, but it's just a bit confusing.

Newbies reading any of this--GPO is loaded on a computer, keyboard triggers the samples via MIDI interface to the computer. Leaf hasn't magically found a way to get GPO In to his keyboard. Don't try this at home--you'll pull your hair out trying to do it.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hey, Leaf--I gotcha beat. I use a 49 keyboard, the good ol MK-4902 which I paid $40 for used! hehe--The most worn button on it is the octave shift!

ANd there ya go again--I think on another post recently you made it sound like you load GPO In to your keyboard. I know you don't mean it literally, but it's just a bit confusing.

Newbies reading any of this--GPO is loaded on a computer, keyboard triggers the samples via MIDI interface to the computer. Leaf hasn't magically found a way to get GPO In to his keyboard. Don't try this at home--you'll pull your hair out trying to do it.

Randy B.
    It's a magic keyboard, you can load GPO into it

Jokin there, you are right, i meant to say plugged in usb cable into the computer which has GPO, hope i haven't caused too much hairloss among our beloved newbs. Thanks for clearing that up Randy.

40 dollar Steinway!

Hi Christopher, I haven’t seen you around in a while. Looking at your history I see you came back for a visit when I was in an Internet free zone (anniversary trip to Boothbay Harbor) back in September.

Anyway, I love the GPO Steinway. I’m sure people here would never guess that by my listening room posts (I think about 9 out of 10 pieces I post are for solo piano). I can’t wait to play with the Garritan Official Steinway….
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: The Steinway rocks

I've got to add my voice to the Steinway rocks chorus. For classical work nothing on the market matches it, even the 450 terabyte monstrosities out there. There is magic in those samples I tell ya!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum