• Register
  • Help

Topic: Would like step by step Info on making sampled libraries sound natural

Question Would like step by step Info on making sampled libraries sound natural

Hi all,
    I am new to this site. I have been using Garritan PO for a few years and just loaded Garritan BBand.
    I am on an IMac dual core 2.5 gig with 2gig ram.

I use Dp4.5 as the host for the libraries.

i am at the place where I want to tweak the 'performances' of the libraries to really get natural sounding crescendos/decrescendos, natural sounding phrasing that includes several attack styles in a single instrument eg: Legato flute or slurred flute lines with staccato notes sprinkled in.

I have read some of the 'controller' tutorials posted here, but I find them too be too much info in too small a space and find them hard to follow.

Does anyone have/know of a tutorial that takes 1 concept at a time, with audio examples and exercises and specific to whatever host is being used?
    For me , that would be DP4.5

SOme things I would like to learn (one at a time)

1: getting 'realistic' dynamic changes in a performance. To date, all I've heard is recordings with the volume 'slider' being raised or lowered, which sounds really unnatural to me.

2. Getting realistic multiple articulations that occur may in a single instrument in a single passage. To date, I find myself having to load various instances of the instrument with different attacks and split the passage between 2 or 3 tracks to accomodate the articulation changes.
    3. realistic Harp glissandi, and glissandi for other instruments. I have read one or two tutorials for this , but they were confusing, very involved and when I tried to duplicate them, I got nothing that remotely sounded real or natural.
    4. String harmonics: are there any patches of String Harmonics available, or at least be able to manipulate the overtones with some plug-in to simulate string harmonics?
    Any help, in small step by step uncomplicated fashion would be so greatly appreciated

Thank you to anyone in advance who can point me to the road of understanding.

Things I want to understand

Re: Would like step by step Info on making sampled libraries sound natural

Hi Emeraldctys,

Maybe I can help a little.

1. To get good dynamics, make sure you use the modwheel (midi CC#1) instead of the volume slider, as this changes both the volume and the timbre of the instrument. For some instruments you may also want to try some of the overlay instruments for added realism (e.g. brass).

2. For the articulations, if you use keyswitch instruments (where available, e.g. strings and flute) you won't have to load multiple versions of them to get different sounds. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what you mean about articulations.

3. I don't do too much with the harp glissandos (at least I haven't yet), but they have the midi harp packets which you can download from the garritan website. If you insert them before a passage with the harp, then use the Harp glissando instruments, they will modify the white keys of the keyboard to correspond harp pedal wise with notes in the scale of the harp packet. They are a bit confusing at first, but I was able to do that and get them to work. I have found it best to use them on another track set to the same midi channel as the harp.

4.There are no string harmonic samples in GPO, but some people have managed to simulate them using EQ. They can tell you more about that. I believe that in the upcoming (at some point) Garritan Orchestral Strings 2 will have sampled string harmonics.

The biggest thing with the Garritan libraries is almost constant use of the modwheel.

Hope this isn't too much info at once (probably is, but I tried to keep it short). I used the manual and the tutorials, as well as asking here, to figure out the best way to use the library.

Best of luck,

Smile Re: Would like step by step Info on making sampled libraries sound natural

[quote=Sharkbat]Hi Emeraldctys,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate..I will try to experiment with some examples and see what I can manage.

P.S. I hope I am not a bothering you,, but I forgot one item especially that I can't figure out;; fast string repeated notes..getting that 'machine gun' effect.
    I read a tutorial once about solving that problem (I don't remember where) but no matter how I tried to follow the tutorial , I was never able to rid my music of that horrible effect...any suggestions about that WILL ReALLY be APpreCIATED..
    Thank you

Lifted from my prior responses to questions like this:

re Machine Gun:
    • use cc 22 and cc 23 (but doesn't have any effect on most string sections and sometimes sound a bit 'artificial' where it does work)
    • alternating patches ( very laborious - but no good if there is only one of a patch type - eg viola section, and even where it is possible - eg in solo flutes, I still can hear it machine-gunning between the two patches - 3, 4 or more are really needed. If you have Kontakt and are adept at programming, you can set up your own round robin)
    • use alternating bow directions (still sounds like a machine gun to me though)
    • randomising or varying velocity and timing, substituting tremelo for rapid note repetition, and shaking the PC arhythmically while rendering with varying levels of success
    re 'realism':
    1) make sure you are using plenty of mod wheel on every instrument and use it appropriately for the piece/phrase
    2) learn to use the other expression controls as appropriate for each instrument - timbre, pitch, vibrato, etc to add realistic nuances particularly, but not exclusively, to solo instruments
    3) try to make each instruments part realistic for that instrument - flutes can't sustain indefinitely, harpsichords can't do rips, pianists only have 8 fingers (and two thumbs) etc.
    4) definitely score strings as 4-5 (or more) monophonic parts rather than a block chord played with a generic string patch
    5) ditto with brass 'chords'
    6) don't be afraid to eq individual instruments to get them to fit together better than GPO out of the box
    7) use a decent reverb and plenty of it (if you a/b real orchestral recording with your own, you will always be amazed at how wet the real one is)
    8) use different reverbs/different amounts for different instruments - eg more for the backline (percussion, harp, horns, trumpets, tubas, trombones) to more closely resemble the concert hall effect
    9) read the tutorials on each instrument on Gary's website and implement all the tips
    10) spend time working on sets of rapidly repeating notes to get rid of the machine gun effect
    11) download midi files of classic works, play them through GPO, and see if these sound realistic to you - if yes, then look again at tips 1-10 - it must be your scoring rather than GPO that is unrealistic!

Keep your GPO manual by your sde wherever you compose. It is an invaluble tool.

Smile Re: Would like step by step Info on making sampled libraries sound natural

Thank you for taking time to reply,,
    Your suggestions seem very helpful..I will experiment with them all and try to move more towards that
    realistic; sound that I love so much.

Again, Thanks!

Go Back to forum