• Register
  • Help

Topic: What Mac(s) are you using?

Share/Bookmark

What Mac(s) are you using?

I'm using East West Gold with a G5 dual 2gig and I have issues with performance. According to the manual (2006) an ideal system would be 4 macs linked up.

Are the newest macs that much faster than the one I own? Or only marginally faster for sample stuff.

Re: What Mac(s) are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by piano
    I'm using East West Gold with a G5 dual 2gig and I have issues with performance. According to the manual (2006) an ideal system would be 4 macs linked up.

Are the newest macs that much faster than the one I own? Or only marginally faster for sample stuff.
    I have:

Macbook Core Duo 1.83 ghz Intel w. 1 gig RAM
    Power Mac G5 2.0 ghz Dual Processor w. 4 gigs RAM
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo w. 2 gigs RAM

Sounds like i have the same G5 as Piano. I have 4.5 g ram which helps but I'm still constantly freezing and unfreezing tracks in Logic. Upgrading seems like the real solution.

What version of Logic are you using? I moved to Logic 8 Studio and it seems like it's only using one of the two processors for the bulk of the work- which is weird! I also use Cubase 4.1 and DP 5.13 and neither of those programs have the same problem with CPU usage. I'm betting that Logic 8 has ben written with Leopard in mind but I'm still not sure about jumping on to the Leopard bandwagon with my PPC Mac. I might give it a go with my Macbook since it's an Intel-based chip and see how that does but I'm leery of screwing up my G5 since that handles the bulk of my music-computing needs.

Ok,

So we may be getting to the reality of these super large sample libraries. (If you're thinking of uprgrading or getting platinum forget about it until you have several computers - i can get Gold up and running with a few tracks but not a whole orchestra! NO way. You gotta freeze.).

Apparently, the Mac Pro (the $2,500 base model) is about twice as fast as the G5 dual 2GHZ.

I want to know if it is the right thing to trade up or should I hold on to my G5 and add another computer.

Just how much more does the Mac Pro play than the G5?

are you running out of processor or RAM. My bet would be RAM. Try adding at least 2GB more ($119 at macsales.com) adjust your Kontakt settings to load more sample head in RAM, and this should dramatically improve your performance.

I'm running a dual 2.5 w/ 5GB of ram and only on large scores do I ever need to freeze/bounce. I can easily run 30-40 VSL instruments on my single computer without freezing. I dont use gold/Kontakt (mainly Logic/EXS) so ymmv.

IMO, its a much better financial move to add more ram and see what happens before upgrading your entire system. Worst case scenario you still end up upgrading, but you can always use your current G5 as a slave, so you really cant loose adding more RAM.

Mac G5 Quad PPC with 8 Gig of RAM. It is rock solid!

Peace

rikp

based on what I bought my G5 for, you should keep it as a slave just as someone else indicated. The most you'll get is $1000 if not less.

I loaded up a multi patch using Platinum last night that included stacc horns, pizz section str. (70 piece), trombone stacc, marimba, stacc trps (2), and stacc tuba playing them all at once in Cubase. Yeah, I got some crackling but I atrribute that to Kontakt 3 more than the DAW or the computer (I have 4 gigs loaded into it).

Go Back to forum