• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Gofriller and Fin 2008: Gretchaninoff Nocturne

Share/Bookmark

Gofriller and Fin 2008: Gretchaninoff Nocturne

I've had a rather long hiatus from the Forum - I've not posted a demo in quite some time now. I wanted to share some more obscuria and try out my purchase from the Garritan (Merry)Go-Round sale.

So I finally got around to trying the Gofriller with Finale 2008 - I was interested to see how well it might render with Human Playback. I picked a Romantic piece the Gretchaninoff Nocturne for 'Cello and piano...

Gretchaninoff Nocturne

This was mostly rendered using the markings in the score, although I had to resort to an occasional use of some of the tricks qccowboy has shared for making Finale "behave" and give me the interpretation I want.

I'm satisfied that with a well-marked score I can get decent results - at least a "good enough" mockup. If I were to want better, I could easily manage that by exporting a MID file from Finale and tweaking it further in a DAW (in fact, I may do just that to demonstrate the further control on can get)

Enjoy!

Re: Gofriller and Fin 2008: Gretchaninoff Nocturne

I was hoping you would post something again. It's always a little different.

This piece sure swells at one point.

Yes, it sounds good for a notation file.

I would like to hear this edited in a DAW. Make sure to include both versions for a comparison.

It's good hear from you.

Phil

Gorgeous work, Jonathan - And I'm really happy to see you here in The Listening Room again.

It sounds to me you've made this rendering sound Very musical. And I think that it's Good that "...I had to resort to an occasional use of some of the tricks qccowboy has shared for making Finale 'behave'..." because I think it's better to not think of Michel's advice as "tricks" but simply the way to make the most out of a notation program.

To want one's recordings to sound as good as possible is certainly a worthy goal, and as has been shown over and over here on the Forums, it requires more than relying only on printable score markings.

I also completely agree with DPDAN who recently pointed out that to make the absolute most out of any instrumental library, editing in the audio realm is what can expand the expressiveness of a recording even farther.

My only disappointment in your presentation is that I wish I'd bought a better ticket!--I was stuck in the back row of the balcony for this concert, and I'd much prefer to be in one of the more expensive seats, closer to the musicians. --Yes, once again my preference for less reverb. Placing instruments so far away in a large venue does Not automatically lend them more realism, which I feel is too often the theory in having such a "wet" signal in a recording.

Great - Thanks, "giwro_jon"--!

Randy B.

Listening to this through my headphones I thought it sounded incredibly real!

Maybe not quite enough pedal at a few moments in the piano, but still.

The audio had a certain "old LP" sound to it.

Jonathan:

Getting, "Page Cannot be Displayed." Windows XP, 2.8Ghz/1.5GB RAM.
    Sometimes this happens, but I always wonder why..........lol

Will try again later.....

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I felt like i left this world and were in a completley different land.
    A beautiful piece of music!
    I thought it sounded frightingly realistic and soficticated.

Regards,
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

They all had something to say about your recording technique. I second that.
    But this piece is really beautiful and you did a fairly good job. Go for the DAW!! Haven't heard a lot Gretchnaninoff (once a cello concerto, but that was a long time ago). Thank you for reminding me that he also wrote very fine music.

Raymond

Jonathan:

Well, it's amazing what the "refresh" button can do to get
    some music played..........lol

Just a beautiful piece Jonathan and so well played by piano
    and Gofriller. A really great effort with Finale 2008, piano,
    and your "new" cello.

This music has a "definite" nocturnal characteristic and
    was a joy to listen to.

BRAVO, Jonathan
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I was hoping you would post something again. It's always a little different.

This piece sure swells at one point.
    Yes, it sounds good for a notation file.

I would like to hear this edited in a DAW. Make sure to include both versions for a comparison.

It's good hear from you.

Phil
    Glad you liked it, Phil!

I am planning to fool with this in a DAW for sure - I will include the current incarnation so folks can hear the difference. I'm hoping to reinforce the point that a notation-based rendition can be a great starting point (or even an acceptable mock-up) but that for the best results further tweakage in a DAW can only result in a much better product.

Cheers,

- J

Glad you enjoyed it, Randy...

I think you echo what I already know - working in a DAW adds SO much more control (on so many levels!). I view generating the MIDI file from notation as the first step - I try to get it as close to the rendition I want as I can, then I further tweak in the DAW. I'm finding that even after THAT added step of editing MIDI stuff in the DAW, I prefer also rendering each track/instrument to audio, and FURTHER tweaking in the DAW.

You mentioned in another post how you remember folks always after the "Holy Grail" of the latest and greatest keyboard in days gone by... I remember that attitude as well. I've found in my years working with recording that one can often get VERY superior results from their existing tools by simply squeezing every last drop out of them that is possible. Many times hard work and deep familiarity with one's tools can produce a much better result than opening up the wallet and buying another sample library. Lately I've had the luxury to focus a bit more on acquiring gear - now I think it is high time to see how far I can push it!

As for reverb...

You and I will always disagree on this one!

I've moved away from the concert hall/cathedral venue for my chamber stuff, but I can't quite enjoy the living room/parlour aesthetic - I prefer at least a small recital hall sitting about halfway back (which is what we have in this recording). I can't afford the front row seats, so my listening perspective is further back, and that is what my mind's ear wants to hear. Sorry!

Cheers,

- J

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Gorgeous work, Jonathan - And I'm really happy to see you here in The Listening Room again.

It sounds to me you've made this rendering sound Very musical. And I think that it's Good that "...I had to resort to an occasional use of some of the tricks qccowboy has shared for making Finale 'behave'..." because I think it's better to not think of Michel's advice as "tricks" but simply the way to make the most out of a notation program.

To want one's recordings to sound as good as possible is certainly a worthy goal, and as has been shown over and over here on the Forums, it requires more than relying only on printable score markings.

I also completely agree with DPDAN who recently pointed out that to make the absolute most out of any instrumental library, editing in the audio realm is what can expand the expressiveness of a recording even farther.

My only disappointment in your presentation is that I wish I'd bought a better ticket!--I was stuck in the back row of the balcony for this concert, and I'd much prefer to be in one of the more expensive seats, closer to the musicians. --Yes, once again my preference for less reverb. Placing instruments so far away in a large venue does Not automatically lend them more realism, which I feel is too often the theory in having such a "wet" signal in a recording.

Great - Thanks, "giwro_jon"--!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast