• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach Sarabande - Gof / Strad

Share/Bookmark

Bach Sarabande - Gof / Strad

Some quickie solo Gofriller and Strad demos: lyrical phrasing, double, triple, & quadruple stops, trills.

Bach, Sarabande from Cello Suite No. 1 in G, 3:28, 6.4Mb (cello)

Bach, Sarabande from Cello Suite No. 1 in G, 3:25, 6.3Mb (arranged in D for violin)

Title........Sarabande – Cello Suite No.1 in G
    Genre........Classical(baroque)
    Composer.....J.S. Bach
    Arranger.....Darwin Kopp
    Arr. date....January 2007 (cello), 2006 (violin)
    Arr. time....a couple days
    Samples......Garritan Gofriller v1, Garritan Strad v2
    Sequencer....Overture
    Reverb.......KP2 Convolution
    EQ...........KP2 3-band parametric
    Monitors.....Dynaudio Acoustics BM5
    ..Arrangement...no
    ..Performance...yes
    ..Sonics........no

This is my favorite movement from one of my favorite Bach solo cello suites. I arranged the violin version in 2006, taking the original up a twelfth (to D). When I have the time, I play this piece on the violin nearly every week.

I find both these instruments nicely controllable and very expressive from notation, though there is a short additional learning curve compared to the way GPO does things. In terms of the instruments themselves, the most notable difference is the way they handle trills. I think I prefer the cello's implementation, rather than key switching into a dedicated trill mode.

Great tools, great instruments, thanks Gary!

Re: Bach Sarabande - Gof / Strad

Thanks, Darwin - I really enjoy and appreciate both versions very much. Great instruments played very well, an inspiration to all.

Happy New Year - Happy Strad and Gofriller playing!

Randy B.

Thanks, Darwin, for offering up these very well-executed examples. I just received my Gofriller yesterday; I was already anxious to get started on some sort of project with it, and now you've doubled that excitement.

I enjoyed both of these this morning as I sit at my work desk... a very enjoyable start to my day!

Danny

Thanks DARWIN for a great piece!
    The performance was very well done, It sounds very convincing and i'm sure your pleased with this arrangement.

Regards,
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Great piece. I love the delicate phrasing you did. I wonder if you would be willing to share the way you achieved the trills in Overture. I assume you are talking about Overture4, or perhaps I'm wrong. Thank you for this beautiful piece.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Thanks for the positive feedback, one and all!

LouisD,

I wonder if you would be willing to share the way you achieved the trills in Overture. I assume you are talking about Overture4, or perhaps I'm wrong
    I'm still using Overture 3.6.0.

Trills in notation are a little tricky. I usually decide on the number of alterations I want and then work out the approximate rhythm in the current tempo. This is then adjusted up and down, either rhythmically or through a judicious redraw of the tempo data. The Strad requires depressing the G# key switch for the trill mode, and then canceling this key switch afterwards. For the Gof, I simply drew in pedal data to ensure legato execution (though I'm not sure this is absolutely necessary). I overlap the notes in both cases. Though canned trills would sound more "realistic", they would have their own set of problems: constant speed, lack of expressiveness, difficulty in connecting turns at either end, etc. So, I believe the chosen approach is the best one can hope for, short of an actual violin.

Certain velocity combinations in these instruments produce portamento effects, so the velocities typically need adjustment to remove most of the portamento (otherwise, the trill would sound like the player is sliding a single finger back and forth to produce the trill). There is purposely very little portamento in these renditions mostly because, other than a short excursion into half position in the second measure of the B section, the entire thing is fingered in first position.

Regards,
    Darwin

Thank you for explaining that !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Most interesting, technically, Darwin!

Thanks for posting these!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I listened to the two implementations with great interest. They are of course well done and I learned a lot from them about the possibility of these two instruments.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Most interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Go Back to forum