• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Sonate nr.1 Op.6

Share/Bookmark

Piano Sonate nr.1 Op.6

Just playing with GPO Steinway and JABB Steinway.

Piano Sonate nr.1 Op. 6

It is an oldie and composed for my fellow composer and friend, the late John Burgess. John wrote great (jazzy-like) music, which was performed in real life by a French Symph. Orchestra. Both GPO and JABB Steinway's play the same score, together. The reverb is very, very modest, as if one performs this in his own living room.

Raymond

Re: Piano Sonate nr.1 Op.6

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Just playing with GPO Steinway and JABB Steinway.

Piano Sonate nr.1 Op. 6

It is an oldie and composed for my fellow composer and friend, the late John Burgess. John wrote great (jazzy-like) music, which was performed in real life by a French Symph. Orchestra. Both GPO and JABB Steinway's play the same score, together. The reverb is very, very modest, as if one performs this in his own living room.

Raymond
    Hi Ramond,
    A real Jazzy piece!
    Yourself and Mr Burgess are both very tallented Composers.
    Happy New Year.

Regards,
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Hi, Raymond

Wow! Quite a change of pace for you! I'm not sure what the sum total effect on me was, but I sat with my ears glued to the speakers as I listened. Sometimes jangling my nerves quite a bit, but that's OK. Such a Marvelous parade of dramatic mood shifts - and you know how I like that!

It's interesting that you combined the two pianos for this. SOunds to me like it worked - it sounds like a single piano, no phasing issues. I'm wondering what your motivation for doing that was? Neither piano sounded sufficient to you on its own? The JABB piano is in WIDE stereo and often has to be tamed in that respect, I've found--otherwise it's always like the instrument is just inches away. The GPO piano doesn't have that stereo field - I think it's the stereo processing which makes people often prefer the JABB, but the GPO can actually sound more natural.

And I LOve your reverb treatment on this. I wish I would hear more solo piano pieces using reverb more in this manner - It's perfect.

Nice--and Thanks!

Randy B.

Quite an impressive piece this is, Raymond! I think I may have even detected some stride left hand happening under all of the right hand flourishes and runs. Pretty cool!

The sound you got from combining the two pianos was very macho -- like a piano crafted from the sturdy wood of the testosterone tree! I liked it, and your reverb treatment worked out quite well also.

Thanks for sharing one of your older gems with us!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Raymond

Wow! Quite a change of pace for you! I'm not sure what the sum total effect on me was, but I sat with my ears glued to the speakers as I listened. Sometimes jangling my nerves quite a bit, but that's OK. Such a Marvelous parade of dramatic mood shifts - and you know how I like that!
    Finally, I'd got your attention (big grin).

It's interesting that you combined the two pianos for this. SOunds to me like it worked - it sounds like a single piano, no phasing issues. I'm wondering what your motivation for doing that was? Neither piano sounded sufficient to you on its own? The JABB piano is in WIDE stereo and often has to be tamed in that respect, I've found--otherwise it's always like the instrument is just inches away. The GPO piano doesn't have that stereo field - I think it's the stereo processing which makes people often prefer the JABB, but the GPO can actually sound more natural.
    First I only had the GPO Steinway by accident, it was meant to be the Jabb Steinway. Second I chose the JABB Steinway and assigned to this the same channel and output port (it was A(2) and I made it A(1)). I played this, so both pianos had the same score at the same time. And it sounded better. With a little slider automation in Sonar I could get the dynamics a bit better, because that Jazz Steinway reacts different on velocities. When the real Steinway comes out I will try this again with that great new Garritan instrument. Both the GPO and JABB Steinway have to few dynamic levels to sound natural on softer passages.

Maybe a tip for others. Combine the GPO trumpets with the Jazz trumpets using the same channel and outport (is it called that way?). Perhaps you discover a new fresh sound.

And I LOve your reverb treatment on this. I wish I would hear more solo piano pieces using reverb more in this manner - It's perfect.
    You know that I hate those huge reverbs. I played a bit with SIR and different "halls" but all were to massive, so I fell back on Ambience - Jazz setting 1 (preset). With the sliders (Send effects in Sonar) I adjusted the reverbs where necessary. Some time in the past I read an article (or was it from the book of Bob Katz?) that reverb must be there but not heard.

Nice--and Thanks!Randy B.
    No thanks at all, it was just fun to do.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Quite an impressive piece this is, Raymond! I think I may have even detected some stride left hand happening under all of the right hand flourishes and runs. Pretty cool!

The sound you got from combining the two pianos was very macho -- like a piano crafted from the sturdy wood of the testosterone tree! I liked it, and your reverb treatment worked out quite well also.

Thanks for sharing one of your older gems with us!

Danny
    Yes, there was some stride in the left hand. When I composed this piece I just discovered Jazz chords for the piano. I played a bit with them, improvised a lot and while playing the piece grew. I was also lucky I had a Notation program sync-ed for recording the played notes.

Never knew that there was something like a testosterone tree .
    Glad you liked it. Till next time when The Steinway is for sale.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by June-Bug-Dan
    Hi Ramond,
    A real Jazzy piece!
    Yourself and Mr Burgess are both very tallented Composers.
    Happy New Year.

Regards,
    Dan.
    Did you know John Burgess as well? He lived in the south of France in a small village near Carcassonne. Internet and a forum pointed me to his work and from that the friendship was established. I was lucky to visit him just one year before he died. The months before that he got worse and worse and finally he died. With his death a fine guy just left us. He had the chance to listen to my Sonate before this all happened.

Thanks for listening,

Raymond

For the reverb adicted guys. I may be very, very wrong. I always label small orchestral/ensemble settings with "chamber music". And a chamber means a fairly small space. Though it is common for a recital to have this in a concert hall of some massive size, in fact it is more than wrong.

Ask yourself the question, why Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and others composed piano- /string- /woodwind quartets (sextets, octets) when they had the chance to write something similar for full orchestra? Answer (IMHO): to get it performed at home, in the restaurant, small theatre around the corner. Look at the scores, the dynamics, the choice of instruments and you will agree with me (or not). You loose the intimacy of the music, that sound of that particular instrument right in front of you..... etc. when played in a concert hall.

Raymond

For the curious guys: the score of that Piano Sonata is here

This is a great piece ! I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for also letting us see the score.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi Raymond,

I really liked this piece. Definitely liked the upbeat jazzy sound and rhythms--a few ostinato patterns I loved. Also, really liked that you married more 'classical' forms with jazz. Lastly, I thought this showed an original voice--quite a bit of jazz sounds sort of the same to me--this sounded different. Great work--would love to hear more from you in this manner--I imagined a clarinet in a couple of sections. Maybe a Clarinet Sonata?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast