• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Odd VST problem -- can't edit patches

Share/Bookmark

Odd VST problem -- can't edit patches

Just installed JABB and the bundled Kontakt player. As far as I can tell both are the latest, patched versions.

Kontakt works normally in stand-alone. However, when I run a VST instance with Cubase as a host, some odd behavior occurs;

Left mouse no longer selects anything. I have to browse patches with right mouse.

None of the knobs or sliders respond to mouse input. I can not seem to select or adjust any of them, from vibrato speed to volume and pan.

My suspicion lies with the mouse. Or rather, lack thereof. Unlike seemingly the majority of the computer world I've never liked mice, always getting a trackpad or data pad when possible. My Orbit Optical has functioned near-flawlessly with the other software I have used, but it is possible that the VST version of the Kontakt player is hard-coded to "expect" an ordinary two-button scroll mouse.

(As "ordinary" as a two-button mouse ever is on Mac OS!)

Anyone else recognize this problem, and have any ideas? JABB plays just fine, the CC's work, but it is annoying not to be able to fine-tune. Or tune, for that matter!

Re: Odd VST problem -- can't edit patches

Do you have a mouse around the house that you could bear using for five minutes? If you can isolate the problem as related to the track pad, we can direct you to the proper channels, or figure out what else it could be.

Reegs

Do you have Options | Interface | "Capture mouse from host" checked?

Good suggestion (was thinking that myself).

Tried two mice; a Macally 2-button micro (w/ scroll wheel) and a Wacom wireless (ditto). Turned "Capture mouse" and "capture keyboard" on, restarted engine. Still nothing. And still only responds to right-click (whereas the stand-alone player responds to left click. Furthermore, in the stand-alone player left-click drag operates the controls. Scroll wheel does not.)

Perhaps I should try a clean install and re-authorize?

Quote Originally Posted by nomuse
    Perhaps I should try a clean install and re-authorize?
    It never hurts. But before you do, is it specifically only Kontakt within Cubase acting up? If you can, please check some other VSTs or download a couple of mac-friendly free ones from kvr-vst.com.

Yup. All other VST working normally. I was about to say, including the Kompakt demo I had from East/West -- but that's actually no longer loading. Wonder if the Kontakt installer did something to it?

Sent in a bug report -- after browsing the NI "Knowledge" base.

Quote Originally Posted by nomuse
    restarted engine. Still nothing.
    I think you'll have to restart not only the engine, but the host and plugin.

Re-started, re-installed, went through NI registration again (that is, allowd it to confirm I was registered and had latest versions).

No joy. Did notice something else. When I bring up the keyboard on the Kontakt player (VST), it correctly shows what I am playing from my MIDI keyboard. However, it does not play when I click the keys. Keys depress -- the correct image is displayed -- but the trumpet doesn't make a sound. And yet, plays normally from the actual physical keyboard.

There's some basic GUI problem here.

(Also should note; I can program my keyboard to send the correct CC's and the displayed controls -- and the resultant sound -- responds normally on the Kompakt player. The only thing that seems disabled is actual mouse clicking on the displayed interface.)

Got an answer from NI;

Cubase SE is not supported in any version. Cubase LE is, though -- as long as it is version 4 (didn't know they HAD a version 4 for that!) Plus, of course, Cubase 4.

I don't know if this means "there are differences in the SDK meaning the version that runs on both the give-away LE and flagship 4 doesn't run on the entry-level SE," or if -- more likely! -- this means "We don't need to answer questions on your version number. Might work, might not; it's not our problem."

Sounds like I'll limp on with fine-tuning via CC's. Or find a version of Kontakt 1 to "upgrade" to.

(Re upgrading to Cubase 4 -- apparently that isn't guaranteed to work with OTHER elements of my system!)

What a peculiar situation, Nomuse!

However - "...The only thing that seems disabled is actual mouse clicking on the displayed interface..."

--and you said everything is working the way it should directly from your keyboard. Well that's good at least, because that's where you want to have all controller data sent from anyway. Turning dials on the GUI is really just for testing. It's a hassle that it's not working correctly in your Cubase SE, but it's just a bit of convenience you're missing really. If you want to change any of the default values, it's best done from your keyboard and recorded as part of your sequence.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum