• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Debussy - Reverie for sax quartet using CMB

Share/Bookmark

Debussy - Reverie for sax quartet using CMB

Debussy composed "Reverie" in 1890 as a piano solo, one that has become well known in music literature and as a popular performance piece with its long flowing phrases and lovely solo voice.

Here I have arranged it as a saxophone quartet (SATB) for my friends of the Washington Saxophone Quartet (www.wsaxq.com). The rendering is done in Finale 2008 using the CMB saxophones.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/DebussyReverieSaxQuartet.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Debussy - Reverie for sax quartet using CMB

Hi Gary,

Yeah, this WORKS! ANOTHER really effective arrangement! I really look forward to your sax quartet posts, they're such a joy to listen to. Impressionistic music just works so well with this instrumentation -- just another reason why sax players get all the chicks!!

It sounds like you're getting more and more proficient with doing these also -- I was specifically impressed with your use of dynamics in this one. Really well-done, Gary! I love this stuff!

Danny

Danny,

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Hi Gary,

Yeah, this WORKS! ANOTHER really effective arrangement! I really look forward to your sax quartet posts, they're such a joy to listen to. Impressionistic music just works so well with this instrumentation -- just another reason why sax players get all the chicks!!
    I agree. It has a lot of interesting musical twists and turns in to and wonderful coloring. And it really worked well with the CMB saxes. I will have to make inquiry of the sax quartet regarding the chicks

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    It sounds like you're getting more and more proficient with doing these also -- I was specifically impressed with your use of dynamics in this one. Really well-done, Gary! I love this stuff!

Danny
    This piece actually provided the opportunity for using dynamics in comparison to the baroque works that are totally straightline. Also, I worked vibrato into this one as it lends itself nicely to using it on the longer notes to give it a more realistic effect.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary, I think you know I've long since become a fan of what you're doing with your adapations for the Washington Sax Quartet. I look forward to your new offerings - and for me, you could hardly do better than with adapting a Debussy piece.

Your version of this sounds modern but sweet, translating the piece into the possibly unlikely Sax realm.

In a word, I Loved it.

Thanks.

Randy B.

Hi Gary. A very nice job adapting this for saxes.
    When writing for winds, one problem I struggle with is giving them places to breathe. I've written Bch keyboard pieces where-of course-the player never needs to breathe.
    I remember from college-I think-that you should find a note to rest & breathe where the music allows that.
    I think †here must be a function in Finale/Garritan to place breath marks.
    Never the less, a fine work.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Gary, I think you know I've long since become a fan of what you're doing with your adapations for the Washington Sax Quartet. I look forward to your new offerings - and for me, you could hardly do better than with adapting a Debussy piece.

Your version of this sounds modern but sweet, translating the piece into the possibly unlikely Sax realm.

In a word, I Loved it.

Thanks.

Randy B.
    Thanks for your comments and support Randy. The sax quartet has become a great platform upon which to build. I agree that the modern sound of the Debussy works are wonderfully complimented by the lovely classical saxophone sound. I have a whole stack of those works to present here are time permits.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Hi Gary. A very nice job adapting this for saxes.
    When writing for winds, one problem I struggle with is giving them places to breathe. I've written Bch keyboard pieces where-of course-the player never needs to breathe.
    I remember from college-I think-that you should find a note to rest & breathe where the music allows that.
    I think †here must be a function in Finale/Garritan to place breath marks.
    Never the less, a fine work.
    Gary
    Gary,

I try to spread the voices around when practical to allow for breaks in the playing as long as it does not affect the coloring that I am after. I don't worry so much as to where to place breath marks (using the Articulation Selection tool in Finale) as that tends to be personal preference as to where to breath. I am glad that you enjoyed the work, lovely in it orginal form as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary,

you did a very great arrangement!

About the breath, oh yeah, let the players do it sometimes

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Still another piece that adapts just beautifully to the
    saxes, Gary... what a great sound!

I've heard sax players breathe through their ears, by
    the way... so there's little concern over that.

Seriously, though not reflected in the rendering, I think
    this would be quite easily managed by real players.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary:
    Excellent. You really know what you are doing.

sos

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast