• Register
  • Help

Topic: Taking a break to try something new

Share/Bookmark

Taking a break to try something new

So I thought it would be fun to write a soundtrack for a movie. I started a soundtrack to an imaginary movie, (Spooks) but it got boring with no visuals to go with the music. Then it occurred to me it would be even more fun to make a movie AND its soundtrack, so I'm taking a break from music making to teach myself computer animation. My goal is a 2-minute animated movie that tells a story of some kind (in other words, not just random animated squiggles set to music).

Wish me luck. hehe. I'll keep everyone posted on how it's coming along.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Thumbs up Re: Taking a break to try something new

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    So I thought it would be fun to write a soundtrack for a movie. I started a soundtrack to an imaginary movie, (Spooks) but it got boring with no visuals to go with the music. Then it occurred to me it would be even more fun to make a movie AND its soundtrack, so I'm taking a break from music making to teach myself computer animation. My goal is a 2-minute animated movie that tells a story of some kind (in other words, not just random animated squiggles set to music).

Wish me luck. hehe. I'll keep everyone posted on how it's coming along.
    Good luck to you Gary, sounds like a worthy adventure, plus i love cartoons.

Did you know about Wrayers post here? Movie Credit Challenge?
    It is a challenge to score the music for the credits roll.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57870

I think it would be possibly starting within a week or maybe just a few days. Thought I would tell you in case you didn't know and in case you wanted to do one more score before setting off to do animation.

Cheers
    David

Re: Taking a break to try something new

Hey fizwig, I had a similar idea.

Here is the result.

http://blip.tv/file/548112/

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz

Here is the result.

regards Joe
    Hi: I checked out your movie ... a great job and very creative ... so much work into such a piece ... congratulations ... thank you for sharing ...

Don ...

Quote Originally Posted by joaz

Here is the result.

regards Joe
    Nifty. Myself, I'm going to go for a 2D Anime style animation with the music cues timed to the action of the story.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

fiziwig,

Keep us posted on how you do with this if you would. I had the same idea some time ago and quickly found it too time consuming to learn 3d animation. I gave up before trying 2D which would "seemingly" be easier. I'd be interested in knowing the apps you use, etc. Others may too.

Steve Winkler

It seems as though many of us are wanting to try this approach of creating our own storyline, graphics and scoring to our own video/animation. I started this a couple of years ago and quickly realized that the learning curve for all of the new programs and skills to achieve this is daunting and a distraction from the music creativity.
    Nothing short of a team effort of a production company.

One of the methods I employ is "low tech first".
    I record my audio story or write it out,
    draw my primitive storyboard sketches,
    scan the images,
    prep them for the Sony Vegas video,
    create a rough storyboard
    and then go about creating my music.

As things evolve, I go about learning how to be a graphic artist.
    Poser, 3d Studio Max, Vue Xtreme, Photoshop, After Effects
    etc...
    We have The Listening Room in this forum. Maybe someone would consider starting The Garritan Theatre for viewing our music with picture.
    Bosco Adama

Swinkler: I'm playing around with a program called "Anime Studio" from the same people who make Poser. 2D animation is certainly easier than 3D, but it has it's own challenges, as I'm finding out. Something like simple "puppet animation" like "Flintstones" or "Southpark" is pretty easy, but anything more elaborate starts to get kind of complicated. But I'm having fun with it.

Bosco: I've played with Poser for years, but only static images, no animation. I've written my script and blocked out my scenes and shots. Next is to do the storyboard right in Anime Studio so I can use the storyboard as a basis for the animation.

Learning new stuff is so much fun!
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Go Back to forum