• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sibelius Rocks!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius Rocks!!!!

I know this doesn\'t have much to do with sample libraries BUT.....

Just got Sibelius and it is sooo cool. I have been a Finale user for over 6 years and know it inside and out but this thing has convinced me to switch. I love everything about it and it is so well thought out.

Kudos to the Sibelius team!

Donnie

Re: Sibelius Rocks!!!!

You\'re right, it doesn\'t have much to do with sample libraries.

Sibelius totally rocks. Welcome to the Sibelius congregation. Have you got Version 2.1 ? Its a new free update just released about a week ago that greatly reduces Sibelius 2 CPU demand - I think they had GS partially in mind in making it as there are quite a few GS users popping up over on their forum.

jkrans

Originally posted by Tokyo Joe:
    You\'re right, it doesn\'t have much to do with sample libraries.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe not, but this is a totally relevant topic here in this forum. Donnie is right...Sibelius is amazing, and there are an awful lot of Giga users out there using this software with their Giga PCs. I myself would like to see more Sibelius/GigaStudio discussions here in this forum.

Ok guys, you\'ve piqued my interest!

What exactly is Sibelius? Is is a notation/printing software? Or a sequencer? Or both? I\'m currently using Cakewalk as my sequencer and I use Finale for all of my notation needs. I\'ve used Finale for many years, and while it is very powerful, it still takes me way too long to get stuff produced with it.

Actually I worked with one of the guys over there about adding some new features so don\'t be surprised if some REALLY cool things pop up...like alternating between left and right hand hits via text (ie. r,l,rr,l,r,ll).

I used Finale for over 7 years and I can tell honestly say that Sibelius blows Finale away.

Donnie

Donnie,

I can think of ways to do alternating hits already in Sibelius, albeit not as simply as specifying l/r in the score, but perhaps more effectively because playback of alternating hits could be performed _without_ visually affecting the notation, if desired.

You could create a new type of percussion staff, let\'s assume a single line staff for a snare drum. It is possible to assign a different MIDI playback pitch based on the notehead in use, instead of just the position on the staff. It is quite easy, then, to make a staff where a notehead plays the right hand sample, and a different notehead the left hand, maybe a third one a roll, etc. Once the staff is defined, you can just right-click->Staff Type Change->[select the staff type] and then click _anywhere_ on an existing staff to change it to the desired type from that point on, even mid-measure! You could then enter the music normally (let\'s assume that the default notehead is the right hand hit), then select the notes to be played by the left hand, and finally pick the \"left hand\" notehead from the popup menu. There you go, instant alternating l/r on playback.

You could use visually distinct noteheads in the beginning (so that\'s easy to tell which is which), but eventually multiple noteheads could have the same graphic so as to hide the playback \"trick,\" or you could even add your own notehead graphics, maybe ones with little Ls or Rs under the note so you don\'t even have to enter the text by hand! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Combine the above with the fact that you can have unlimited staff types and that you can mix them freely in the score at the touch of the mouse and you\'ve got a damn flexible system, I think.

Cheers,

A-

--------
    Andrea G. Pessino (not female, just Italian)
    Blizzard Entertainment

apessino@blizzard.com

Jamieh - It\'s a really superb notation program in a new verion 2, really a pleasure if you\'re a long-haired classical type like me - much more intuitive than Finale. It keeps getting closer to being a decent sequencer - you can perform to it in a recording mode called \"Flexi-time\" but, alas, it doesnt really have the Midi controllers and Midi features you need to fine tune such a \"performance.\"

If this new forum server can do it, here\'s the thread about it from this forum (sample libraries)just a few days ago. Read this and you\'ll have your PhD on the whole thing:

http://www.northernsounds.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002314

Otherwise look back for it about 40 threads ago at a post called \"Wanted Sibelius Wiz\" or something like that, from Thomas_J.
    -LifeForce

Originally posted by apessino:
    Donnie,

I can think of ways to do alternating hits already in Sibelius, albeit not as simply as specifying l/r in the score, but perhaps more effectively because playback of alternating hits could be performed _without_ visually affecting the notation, if desired.

You could create a new type of percussion staff, let\'s assume a single line staff for a snare drum. It is possible to assign a different MIDI playback pitch based on the notehead in use, instead of just the position on the staff. It is quite easy, then, to make a staff where a notehead plays the right hand sample, and a different notehead the left hand, maybe a third one a roll, etc. Once the staff is defined, you can just right-click->Staff Type Change->[select the staff type] and then click _anywhere_ on an existing staff to change it to the desired type from that point on, even mid-measure! You could then enter the music normally (let\'s assume that the default notehead is the right hand hit), then select the notes to be played by the left hand, and finally pick the \"left hand\" notehead from the popup menu. There you go, instant alternating l/r on playback.

You could use visually distinct noteheads in the beginning (so that\'s easy to tell which is which), but eventually multiple noteheads could have the same graphic so as to hide the playback \"trick,\" or you could even add your own notehead graphics, maybe ones with little Ls or Rs under the note so you don\'t even have to enter the text by hand! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Combine the above with the fact that you can have unlimited staff types and that you can mix them freely in the score at the touch of the mouse and you\'ve got a damn flexible system, I think.

Cheers,

A-

--------
    Andrea G. Pessino (not female, just Italian)
    Blizzard Entertainment

apessino@blizzard.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Andrea,

You have without a doubt proven yourself to be the Sibelius guru!

I have a quick question for you if you don\'t mind.

How do you get back to the regular \"arrow\" selection tool. It seems that whenever I go to input music I can\'t select anything else because if I clck anywhere it puts a note in. So how do you get back to the \"section\" tool?

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie, to get out of the insert mode (or any modal state) try hitting the escape key..

Oh, and.. welcome to the club! And thank you for the \"guru\" award.. it\'s an honor just being nominated.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

A-

Go Back to forum