• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Movie Trailer Music Challenge

Share/Bookmark

Movie Music Challenge

Garritan Movie Music Challenge

The Garritan Movie Music Challenges are just for fun. They challenge you to use Garritan libraries and your own creativity to orchestrate and create a theme in any way you want. Any Garritan library user may participate. Participants generally have around six weeks to create their entries, and then submit them. Entries are then anonymously posted and voted upon by Northern Sound Source forum members. The winner becomes the writer/adapter for the next Challenge's Movie/Plot. There will be no film to score to, just the idea of a film and your imagination!

Rules:

1) Your entry should have substantially been created using Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Strad, Gofriller, Marching Band, etc. – if there are etc’s).

2) You may enter as many times as you'd like, as long as each entry is substantially different.

3) The Garritan Movie Challenge is to create a musical panorama for either a real movie that we all would recognize, or a fictitious movie. It would be as if the director of a new movie were asking you to come up with approximately 3 minutes of music that would capture the essence of the movie plot or theme as described.

4) The winner is chosen after the entries have been posted anonymously on the NSS forum, and the forum members have voted for their favorite in a poll. How the forum members judge which is their favorite is totally up to them.

5) The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honor of setting the next Challenge.
    Mr. Gary Garritan has asked me to mention that since this is something new and exciting, He will donate a library to the winner. Thank you Mr. Garritan!

6) The Challenge Setter may enter his or her own Challenge. (Please read, yes, he or she may enter their own contest. Why not, everyone has all the same info.)

“The brief summary of the plot or a script would tell the effects being considered (dark and eerie or light and ethereal, etc.) and that info should be enough to get a rough picture of what the movie would be like so one could go from there.”

”The fun part of the exercise is to let our imaginations and creativity go, and enjoy what others have come up with as well.”

“More to the point, if perhaps less informative, would be to identify genre. There are conventions to the Western, to the Sword and Sandal, to the Romantic Comedy, and although any film is free to move away from or even transcend category, the genre gives a starting point for the musical score.”

”Each of these genres carries certain baggage; the guitar and harmonica in the pallet of the Western, the brass in fourths of the Sword and Sandal that the composer can choose to leverage to express their own unique ideas.”

“Let the cinemagic begin!”

*note: the quotes are from replies to this thread on the forum – Thanks Stephanie, Randy and nomuse.

CHALLENGE #1: " Dark Passage"

As director of this new movie, I would like you to create approximately 3 minutes of music for the following film concept:

This is a dark and foreboding story of a conflict between good and evil. Good will prevail in the end but suffer great loss. The main character is human and all his resources, beliefs and commitments will be tested by a ‘dark lord’, a lord whose powers stem from the bowels of the earth. The Hero will discover man’s connection to the earth and the powers of the universe which have gone untapped by man for eons.

Good luck and the music needs to be on my desk in 6 weeks.

Entries in mp3 form can be sent to: wfrayer@centurytel.net

Deadline is February 17 (A sunday 6 weeks from now).
    Last edited by wrayer; 01-07-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: clarification
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Movie Trailer Music Challenge

wrayer,

3) The Movie Trailer Challenge is to create a musical panorama for either a real movie that we all would recognize, or a fictitious movie. It would be as if the director of a new movie were asking you to come up with approximately 3 minutes of music that would capture the essence of the movie plot or theme as described.
    How strict is the time requirement, i.e., at what point, if any, would any entry be automatically disqualified? < 2.5 min, > 3.5 min, anything goes ????

Thumbs up Re: Movie Trailer Music Challenge

Wrayer, is the "Dark Lord" a good guy or a bad guy?

I'm joking, i'm joking! Cool challenge, I'm jumpin in!

David

WOW! That's crazy. I was just thinking about composing about something really lame, and that plot was pretty much exactly what the composition would be about (excuse my sentence ending in a preposition >.<).

Anyway, that's awesome. I'm gonna put my winter composition aside and get started.

NICE! Here we go!

Bill--Congrats on getting the idea for this, getting good discussion going on the earlier thread, on organizing the details, making Gary an offer he couldn't refuse (HEY--now THERE's a Movie!) - and setting us up with another stimulating event here on the Forums.

My show's auditions start tomorrow! - Not at all sure if I'll have time to write something for this first Movie Music round, --maybe if I start my days with an hour now and then in the studio--weeee'll see.

Meanwhile--Hooray for the new Challenge, for Bill and for Gary--HEY---first round has an actual prize of a Garritan Library??---OOOOKay, maybe I will just Have to carve out time for this after all. Still looking longingly at The Gofriller Cello.

One question - In the subject line you call this a Movie Trailer challenge - in the text, you're describing "...approximately 3 minutes of music that would capture the essence of the movie plot or theme as described..." Which sounds more like the opening sequence - titles if they're used, and the first scene. Trailer music is much shorter, tends to be jump cuts in the music as well as the visuals - is actually a different kind of scoring job. Does it matter? We can think of either a trailer or opening--? Or are you intending for this to be more precisely one or the other--? Maybe that needs clarification.

THANKS AGAIN BILL!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    wrayer,

How strict is the time requirement, i.e., at what point, if any, would any entry be automatically disqualified? < 2.5 min, > 3.5 min, anything goes ????
    No restriction: if you can say it (hmm play it) in 45 secs, or 4 minutes all is well. But, let's try to keep them under 5 minutes - just to keep things simple.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

One question - In the subject line you call this a Movie Trailer challenge - in the text, you're describing "...approximately 3 minutes of music that would capture the essence of the movie plot or theme as described..." Which sounds more like the opening sequence - titles if they're used, and the first scene. Trailer music is much shorter, tends to be jump cuts in the music as well as the visuals - is actually a different kind of scoring job. Does it matter? We can think of either a trailer or opening--? Or are you intending for this to be more precisely one or the other--? Maybe that needs clarification.

Randy
    I'm trying to keep it open, Trailer music up to 2 minutes in length or whatever you want to call it. The excercise is to capture the essence of the movie - something that would capture an audience's appeal to watch the movie being produced. It's the KISS principle. I use it all the time: Keep It Simple Stupid - and of course it is a self reference to me!

Good Luck All

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Wrayer, is the "Dark Lord" a good guy or a bad guy?
    David
    Well, he's not a White Knight - "Luke, I am your father"

Challenge #10 Winner

So the main goal here is just to pretty much capture the movie, right?

OK, cool - You're talking about trailer music, as in the title of the challenge, "...The excercise is to capture the essence of the movie - something that would capture an audience's appeal to watch the movie being produced..."

I don't mean to be making things more difficult, it's just that there's a big difference between coming attractions music and the actual opening sequence music which isn't to entice the audience to come see the movie--they're already there--That opening music is to set the mood and get things going. Ya know? I guess I was thinking that this would be main title opening theme music, which isn't as restrictive as the condensed and more gimmicy stuff used for coming attractions.

---Maybe it's just me? It's your deal, Bill - I just do think that if some people submitted these big flashy trailer scores while others were setting the mood of a film's opening, that it could end up being like comparing apples and oranges - And of course the flashier thing would be more likely to get votes.

Trailer. I think you're saying definitely trailer - Right? --

Randy B.

Go Back to forum