• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help with a 16GB XP64 daw...

Share/Bookmark

Help with a 16GB XP64 daw...

Hello!

I am seeking advice from any users who have built a 64Bit DAW with 16GB of RAM under XP64. Is there anybody out there with such a system? Here is the prospected machine:

CPU: Intel Xeon 5030
    Board: Asus DSBF-D
    Ram: Kingston FB-DIMM DDR2-667 2GB (x8)
    Graphics: integrated (ATI ES1000 PCI Display Controller/ 32MB)
    Drives: Samsung SpinPoint T166S (1x160, 2x500)
    DVD: Samsung SH-D163B S-ATA
    PSU & Case: Intel SC5299WS
    Soundcard: RME HDSP 9652

The softwares I'll be using are 64Bit compliant, as is the the RME soundcard. I'm seeking for help in the hardware area. Thanks for any help or comment on this, or for re-directing me to other sites...

Re: Help with a 16GB XP64 daw...

Quote Originally Posted by Melodioso

The softwares I'll be using are 64Bit compliant, as is the the RME soundcard.
    Maybe the RME drivers are 64 bit, but apparently the mixer isn't. Just something to bear in mind.

You might consider a separate video card. Integrated video often uses main memory and can cause timing conflict. Not sure about that particular motherboard though.

Thank you for the heads up on the mixer issue and the vid card!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Maybe the RME drivers are 64 bit, but apparently the mixer isn't. Just something to bear in mind.
    The problems described isn't related to the TotalMix but to the VE.

I haven't heard anyone having problems with a 32bit mixer in a x64 enviroment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodioso
    Hello!

I am seeking advice from any users who have built a 64Bit DAW with 16GB of RAM under XP64. Is there anybody out there with such a system? Here is the prospected machine:

CPU: Intel Xeon 5030
    Board: Asus DSBF-D
    Ram: Kingston FB-DIMM DDR2-667 2GB (x8)
    Graphics: integrated (ATI ES1000 PCI Display Controller/ 32MB)
    Drives: Samsung SpinPoint T166S (1x160, 2x500)
    DVD: Samsung SH-D163B S-ATA
    PSU & Case: Intel SC5299WS

The softwares I'll be using are 64Bit compliant, as is the the RME soundcard. I'm seeking for help in the hardware area. Thanks for any help or comment on this, or for re-directing me to other sites...
    you need a server class mobo not an Asus.
    Tyan or Super Micro.

2) what software will you be using that you think you can access 16Gig of ram?
    3) dont waste your money on any Xeon except 53xx or 54xx. the 50xx series are peices of poo. and are easily beat by a single Quad core saving you a whole lot of money!
    they are older P4 technology

Scott
    ADK

Quote Originally Posted by Jcschild
    you need a server class mobo not an Asus.
    Tyan or Super Micro.

2) what software will you be using that you think you can access 16Gig of ram?
    3) dont waste your money on any Xeon except 53xx or 54xx. the 50xx series are peices of poo. and are easily beat by a single Quad core saving you a whole lot of money!
    they are older P4 technology

Scott
    ADK
    Agreed. No integrated graphic cards in audio machines.

Chipsets should also be picked according to the DAW or vice versa.

Cubase / Nuendo were reported clashing with Intel while they more or less had no problems with AMDs.

Sonar, on the other hand, has had no problems with Intel chipsets.

Also, when going with a Quad, SMP has to be kept in mind.

Cubase / Nuendo is a single threaded app and will have a hard time utilizing all four processing points, inspite being optimized for multiprocess operation.

Sonar doesn't have this problem. From what I heard and read, it's currently the most optimized SMP DAW out there. It won't take as much advantage of the SMP due to Windows single threaded operations writing though, but it will still perform better.

There have been many issues reported on Cubase / Nuendo performance on Quad cores in multiprocesor mode, so bear that in mind before striding into any major investments.

Thanks a lot for all the info. I'm not familiar with server based DAW, so this is very helpful. It is gonna be a slave PC, used to run VSL Vienna Instruments in the Vienna Ensemble. Nothing else on the machine, except a video card then, and a sound card (RME 9632).

The problem with 53xx or 54xx is that they are very expensive. And I'm not sure I need all the power just for running VI's... can a server motherboard with two CPU slots only work with one CPU installed?

Btw, I'm running two 32Bit DAW's with Intel and Cubase SX (3 & 4) without problem. Bu what is SMP?

I have a QX6700 in an Intel BX2 running with 8 gigs of ram on XP64 and no problem with an RME FF400. Internal RME mixer works fine though I really only use the routing matrix part of it. Use Sonar64 for mixing and sequencing.

Looks like you're considering an interesting board. No FW and there's some issue with x16 express cards being forced to run at x8. But 8 ram sockets are nice. And you could make yourself an 8-core.

Howard

I think that choice of sequencer and VSTi that you are intending to run will dictate what sort of system you need. It seems to me that many of the boards only accept 8GB RAM, which for me is not enough.

I'm looking at getting a 16GB machine to run Nuendo 32bit with Vienna Ensemble 64bit. I have every expectation of it working very well, but will put it in my second studio to test, before I let it loose in the main studio.

D

Go Back to forum