• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Ethno World 4 pro

Share/Bookmark

Ethno World 4 pro

Has anyone checked this out yet (or any "Ethno World" collections, for that matter)?

I need to grab a good mix of "ethnic" instruments (I've been leaning toward ilio "Origins" because some of those instruments are hard to find elsewhere). I'm already sold on the Bela D Media stuff for winds.

I'm mostly looking for a good mix of stringed instruments and voices.

I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Re: Ethno World 4 pro

you might look at Plectrum (Ilio web page) for "hard to find sounds"

You can't beat BelaDMedia for the winds... Anthology vol.1 and Anthology vol.2 are both excellent. I tend to go to my BelaD libraries for solo voicings.

I also very much like RA, which is a top quality library and will give you a really nice collection of instruments.

I have EthnoWorld3 and what I like about it is that it is a great catch all for a lot of various instruments. I like taking various instruments and beefing them up a little by creating my own multis. Making it 'just' a little different from what everyone else is going to be using directly out of the box; also tailoring the sound depending on what the music requires. EW3 is the oldest of the three libraries I mentioned and I think it's fair to say that a lot of the instruments don't have the depth that BelaDMedia especially, and RA will give you. I find myself tweaking these instruments more. As I said, I like it though for its quantity of instruments and variety.

That said, I expect that things will be improved now with EW4, and I'm also interested in the new instruments that are added. I definitely plan on upgrading - especially as it will be nice to have additional choices.

These three libraries don't really focus on voices.

Plectrum looks VERY interesting, but I think it's more of a tangent to what tallisman is asking about? Origins is something I am very interested in as well. That seems to be a very nice library that carves out its own niche by offering a different subset of instruments.

The other major library would be the MOTU one, which I can't comment on because I am not familiar with it personally.

I should add that my way of thinking regarding these libraries is the way you would think about characters in a novel. There are primary characters and secondary characters. Just so in music, you don't always want every sound to be a featured player. Thus, I think there is room for each of these libraries even with their various strengths and weaknesses.

If you're on a tight budget, then perhaps EW might be a very good way to go. Maybe you can still catch RA at the holiday discount before the sale ends - is it tonight? (1/4)

I have 'Ethno World 3 Complete' and am very happy with it.
    No regrets at all.

I ~suspect~ ( just on a hunch with no actual knowledge ) that '4 Pro' is going to be a re packaging of 'EW3 Complete' with no new instruments.

It woud be nice to find out for sure before going for '4', especially if you can get '3 Complete' for a better price.

Ethnoworld 4 will not be simply a repack.

Apart from including Ethno World volumes 1-3, it also contains the following new instruments:

Various Ocarinas,
    Tin & LowWhistle Licks,
    Shakuhachi, Pinkillo,
    Morin Khuur Violin,
    Morin Khuur Strings Ensemble,
    Mongolian Vocal Ensemble,
    Mongolian Jews Harp,
    Mongolian Gong,
    Mongolian Framedrum,
    Mongolian Hengereg Drum,
    Mongolian Bones Shaker,
    Mancosedda,
    Male Subtone Vocals,
    Male Solo Voices,
    Male Khoomii Overtone Vocals,
    Launeddas,
    Krumhorn,
    Jews Harp,
    Ih Khuur Bass,
    Hotchiku,
    Fujara Overtone Flute,
    Female Solo Vocals,
    Esraj,
    Irish Traverse Flute,
    Dvojacka Doubletone Flute,
    Duduk,
    Dilruba,
    Digeridoo,
    Ciaramella.

In total it comes with 10GB of sounds.
    Also it makes extensive programming use of the new K2 player.

You can read about it at BestService here:
    http://bestservice.de/detail.asp/en/...58p109p91p217#

The Full instrument list can be found here:
    http://bestservice.de/detail_subwin....nstrument+List

And the Audio demos are here:
    http://bestservice.de/jukebox.asp?ln...09p91p217&new=

Quote Originally Posted by tallisman
    Has anyone checked this out yet (or any "Ethno World" collections, for that matter)?

I need to grab a good mix of "ethnic" instruments (I've been leaning toward ilio "Origins" because some of those instruments are hard to find elsewhere). I'm already sold on the Bela D Media stuff for winds.

I'm mostly looking for a good mix of stringed instruments and voices.

I'd love to hear some thoughts.
    i have ethno world 3. I use it every now and then, but i'm not so crazy about its sound qualities. I liked RA better, but even that didn't do a great job for me for those particular instruments that i was interested in. I badly wanted a good sounding "Zourna" which is a middle eastern wind instrument, but samples were just horrible, way below average. Even a cheap keyboard has far better zourna samples. I haven't used chinese and african all that much, so i can't comment about those, but in general here's my comment about RA and ethno when it comes to middle eastern and persian/turkish instruments:

I would totally suggest someone to buy a $800 oriental keyboard from guitar center rather than investing on RA and ethno, if they're looking for middle eastern samples. They're very weak. I don't care if they add another 20 gig to their library. that doesn't impress me at all. Trust me, i know how those instruments sound like very well.

Then i tried Ethno by Motu i think. very very very cpu hungry!!! like you couldn't believe, and i have enough horse power to do pretty much anything with plug ins!!! Almost not usable. So in terms of running smooth with no problems i definitely give the credit to RA and Ethno 3 because they run with no weird problems at least.
    I haven't tried Anthology ..in fact i just read it in this thread, as someone had mentioned it. but so far i haven't been able to find anything convincing. I really hope that will change in the future.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice! I have been checking out "Plectrum" but what I'm looking for here is a really good erhu, esraj, and I'd love to try using some Tuvan overtone vocals as a pad (EW4 has all three, and I believe Origins does as well). I really like the way the chinee kong erhu sounds as well, but it is pc only.

Again, thanks. I think EW4 will be the right way to go.

I must say that some of the new solo strings and string ensemble from EW4 sound pretty good in the demos.

Please post back when you get it, and let us know what you think.

Regards,

Ben H

Oriental Keyboard?

Protoolsguy, you said: "I would totally suggest someone to buy a $800 oriental keyboard from guitar center". I've got RA and was also majorly disappointed with the zourna - it was one of the main instruments I wanted and bought RA for. So what oriental keyboard would you recommend for zourna and other Middle eastern / Turkish sounds?

Re: Oriental Keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Thisman
    Protoolsguy, you said: "I would totally suggest someone to buy a $800 oriental keyboard from guitar center". I've got RA and was also majorly disappointed with the zourna - it was one of the main instruments I wanted and bought RA for. So what oriental keyboard would you recommend for zourna and other Middle eastern / Turkish sounds?
    That's exactly why i bought RA for. I understand ethnic instruments are very hard to sample because they don't behave like western instruments do, and they could be unpredictable. But to me that's no excuse! if you can't do it, then don't do it. What's that turkish strings instrument called, Tar, or something like that. That was horrible beyond belief too. Santur was good, i liked that one!
    So basically, what happened was right after purchasing RA and ethno world, i went right back to keyboards whenever i need ethnic sounds for my arrangement. I never do that for my orchestral work (strings, winds, brass..etc) because plug ins sound awesome compare to keyboards, but NOT WHEN IT COMES TO ETHNIC SOUNDS. Again, i'm only talking about Ra and ethno 3.

my friend has an oriental yamaha, that has good samples for middle eastern and turkish music. i think that's what's called...yamaha, oriental series.

If you can afford, go for Korg PA series. they have excellent samples. RA and Ethno , are no match for those unfortunately.

in case if the producer sees this thread. I'm a ligit musician and have a master degree in composition, so i know what i'm talking about. For marketing purposes, both of these plug ins could be a waste of money, because some key instruments sound very bad. I hope others find them useful though.

Go Back to forum