• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale human playback, harp dynamics problem

Share/Bookmark

Finale human playback, harp dynamics problem

Hello!

I'm using GPO (full version) with Finale 2007. I'm having some trouble getting dynamic expressions to work with the GPO harp.

When the Dynamic Approach for Sustaining Instruments / "Optimize attacks for Garritan Libraries" box is checked, dynamic expressions are ignored for the harp patch (Harp 1 KS, standard and notation types; I haven't tried other harp patches yet).

When the box is cleared the dynamic expressions work properly.

I'm trying to follow the Finale manual's explanation of that part of the HP setup but it's not quite clear to me (yet).

I'm not sure why the sustaining instruments settings in HP should affect the harp, and why the dynamic expressions would fail in any case.

(I'm a rank n00b here, so please be merciful if I've overlooked something glaringly obvious!)

advTHANKSance

Ray Simard

Re: Finale human playback, harp dynamics problem

Hello Ray and welcome to the forums.

I use Finale with GPO. There is a bug with Human Playback and Finale 2007 which is fixed in Finale 2008 which is what I have.

I can't say if the problem you are experiencing is to do with this bug or not. I believe Make Music (Finale) have made available a fix for the HP bug in Finale 2007. At present I can't provide a link to this fix but I'll keep looking.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thank you, Michael.

I just found--stumbled upon, more accurately --the way to make it work.

I have the harp (and piano) on separate bass and treble staves, on the same MIDI channel. I was adding the dynamic expression to both staves. Adding it to only one stave fixes the problem. I suppose splitting the staves to separate channels would work too, but this is OK.

Ray

You should be able to have both staves on the same channel. And you should be able to apply dynamic expressions - even differrent ones - to each staff. Which revision of F07 do you use? I haven't had this kind of trouble with F07c.

It sounds a bit like HP thinks your harp is a sustaining instrument and uses CC#1 to control dynamics. Clues to make HP know it's a harp are:
    1) Staff/group name (even a hidden name)
    2) Instrument name
    3) Patch name

Thanks; I'll check that out in a bit.
    Finale is 2007c.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    You should be able to have both staves on the same channel. And you should be able to apply dynamic expressions - even differrent ones - to each staff. Which revision of F07 do you use? I haven't had this kind of trouble with F07c.

It sounds a bit like HP thinks your harp is a sustaining instrument and uses CC#1 to control dynamics. Clues to make HP know it's a harp are:
    1) Staff/group name (even a hidden name)
    2) Instrument name
    3) Patch name

Go Back to forum