• Register
  • Help

Topic: Borodin Nocturn for Concert Band

Share/Bookmark

Borodin Nocturn for Concert Band

THIS LINK IS WORKING AS OF 1/05 @ 7pm (I am now using Box.net)
    http://www.box.net/shared/uy2k3dascg

HAVING TROUBLES WITH THE LINK (again); please have patience.
    At 3:50pm (1/4), the link worked. The only problem is that I had to type in the link on my web browser. It still does not work on the forum. I have contacted the forum webmaster, but, if you don't mind, please listen to this piece by putting the link into your web browser adddress line. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

So, here is my latest installment of adaptations for a concert band. This is the Borodin Nocturn. Originally a string quartet, Malcolm Sargent made the arrangement for string orchestra. I have adapted that arrangement for a large concert band (with the addition of a bass sax and a contrabass clarinet).

The melody of this Borodin piece is one of the lovelist in all of musical literature. It has special meaning to me because as I look back on my life, the most beautiful moment in my life was when we (an all-district orchestra) were playing a Christmas concert in the fully decorated state capital building. I was dating the principal second violinist at the time (she was all "dolled up") and the strings were playing this piece. During a several measure rest, my girl friend turned around, gave me a big smile and a wink - she could also sense the beauty of the moment.

Hope you enjoy it. I am starting to use a greater pallet of tools with my projects. I used quite a bit of cc1 (I don't work with a keyboard), but after viewing Dan's wonderful piece and discussing it with Randy, I am about covering up all of the notes (in Track View) with controller "grass". Since most of what I have done in the past was simple MIDI (non-Garritan), I didn't have the capability of true legato. I am now starting to phrase pieces as they were intended. It has been a trial, trying to get (my) the "bugs" worked out of using cc64, but I think that I have solved most of my dilemnas.

Please, if you have critical comments to make, I would like to hear them. I want to take my work to the "next level" (since I am currently at a fairly low level). Thanx for any advise.

Frank

THE LINK BELOW DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE
    www.geocities.com/rg4209rg/audio/Noct.mp3
    The link does not currently work, but if you type (or Copy) it into a web browser address line, it does work. Please give it a try. I don't think that you will be disappointed.
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Re: Borodin Nocturn for Concert Band

This is great to see you up with a piece, Frank --You stopped writing emails long enough to actually get some work done! TEasing ya. I know it's been a real wrestling match for you.

Now allow me - - at LEast two clapping smileys in response to your Nocturn post. You've been working! - and the passion you have for the music is shining through this clear as a bell.

It's such a sweepingly romantic piece, I love the melody and it's progressions, I can see how it would be the perfect music for that scene you described, --thank you for that story by the way, with the "dolled up" violinist and her smile and wink.

Your adaptation to concert band seems largely successful to me. The one area where I found it less so was in the middle when the lower brass are so predominant. I think that what worked for Cello and Contrabass is coming on too Wagnerian Horns of Doomish. Working with the concert band as you were, I'm not sure what other choice might have been made except--just less. That's my hit anyway.

Congratulations--Exciting, ravishing.

Randy B.

Simply put, I like it. I think you did an excellent job of re-orchestration (bandaidization?) You really created a perfect, lush feel to it with your bandaidization, especially with your use of low brass. Absolutely beautiful.

When you mention the state building all decked out in christmas decorations, it was not difficult at all to see this picture. I can imagine it as a seen where all nerves from performing, voices from the audience and fellow orchestra members, and even the very notes the orchestra is playing just fading away and being replaced by this song as you bask in awe at this scene with this song playing in the background, of course. Nicely done!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

It appears that none of the links in any of my posts are currently working (not even if you paste it into a browser's address line). As soon as my website provider decides to reply to my inquiry, hopefully I can get it fixed and will be back up and running again.

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Randy -
    Copy/Paste worked for a couple of hours, but, apparently, I have exceeded a rather liberal bandwidth limitation. I am going to look into using Box.net, like a lot of you guys are using. So, hopefully, I should have all of this fixed soon.

Frank

For a fellow who earned his living as a chemist, Borodin
    wrote some breathtakingly beautiful music.

Frank, this is a difficult work to adapt well for band, but
    you've certainly done an able and worthy treatment of it,
    here. I'd much enjoy hearing this live!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum