• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking For Software That Has Many Virtual Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Looking For Software That Has Many Virtual Instruments

I was wondering is there any Virtual instrument software out there that can compete with Colossus from East West? I know they are coming out with the upgrade to Colossus(Goliath). But Im just wondering is there any other software that pretty much has it all like Colossus, and sounds great also?

Re: Looking For Software That Has Many Virtual Instruments

VI One is supposed to have a ton of patches. All of the major samplers (Kontakt, etc.) come with a ton of instruments. Heck, if you like analog synths, Analog Factory comes with 2500-3000 presets (depending on what you spend).

Good luck, and we're looking forward to hearing what you come up with with these great new sounds.

There are a number of products that include a wide variety of instruments

Vir2 VI One:
    http://www.vir2.com/vir2/products/vione/index.html

SoniVox MUSE:
    http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductDeta...ualInstruments

Cakewalk Dimension Pro:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Dim...ro/default.asp

IK Multimedia SampleTank 2.5:
    http://www.sampletank.com/

Ultimate Sound Bank PlugSound Pro:
    http://www.ultimatesoundbank.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Plus
    I was wondering is there any Virtual instrument software out there that can compete with Colossus from East West? I know they are coming out with the upgrade to Colossus(Goliath). But Im just wondering is there any other software that pretty much has it all like Colossus, and sounds great also?
    you know, i kind of disagree with purchasing this kind of plug ins. I rather get individual plug ins that specializes in a limited number of instruments, because then you get more articulations, ..etc and they sound better. So you can actually make good music. Even then, you have to use different libraries, to mask the problems and fill the gaps. Budget permitting (duh!) i don't suggest investing on multi task plug ins that tend to have little bit of everything.

I own Collosus and some of the Plugsound libs. With all of the "workstation" type VST's (as mentioned above) I still can't find anything as satisfying as my Roland XP-80 and the 4 expansion cards I have for it (Bass and Drums, World, Special FX, and Orch2) I think these things have like 16 megabytes (not gigabytes) of memory and they still manage to sound so pleasing to my ears. Very playable, musical sounds. Nothing worse than a 30 gig lib taking up space on a HD with few usable sounds. I agree with the staement above that it is best to hone in on a few key sounds and pay for the premium versions (like Bela D's Spiritual winds) rather than try and buy a swiss army knife VST. I am hoping one day that Roland releases all of their older expansion cards as VST's.

2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    I own Collosus and some of the Plugsound libs. With all of the "workstation" type VST's (as mentioned above) I still can't find anything as satisfying as my Roland XP-80 and the 4 expansion cards I have for it (Bass and Drums, World, Special FX, and Orch2) I think these things have like 16 megabytes (not gigabytes) of memory and they still manage to sound so pleasing to my ears. Very playable, musical sounds. Nothing worse than a 30 gig lib taking up space on a HD with few usable sounds. I agree with the staement above that it is best to hone in on a few key sounds and pay for the premium versions (like Bela D's Spiritual winds) rather than try and buy a swiss army knife VST. I am hoping one day that Roland releases all of their older expansion cards as VST's.

2 cents,

Darren
    Whats ur take on Colossus? Ya know the quality of sounds? Is your only complaint that it takes up alot of space? Can you give some more details on Colossus?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Colossus is a mixed bag, albeit a very full one. The guitars are useful, versatile and generally very musical. The acoustic bass is good and offers some expressive patches (You'll put them on several tracks..keyswitched would be nicer). The orchestral stuff is almost useless to me. The drums and percussion are very nice, but limited. Ethnic is just o.k., but there's a good Duduk. The choirs are limited but fun, especially if you don't usually use that sort of thing (no fake words). There's one good electric piano and a nice Steinway--dark, full and unobtrusive. The pop brass is just great--lots to choose from there. The Stormdrone patches are great too; they give you some really terrifying atmospheric sounds, great for avant garde compositions. All in all it's not really a Swiss army knife, but I sure do like using it.

Myself and one of my colleagues have been completely underwhelmed by Colossus. I've actually only used it once in about a 18 months.
    I was hoping for something more inspiring, more along the lines of my old Korg Triton Workstation, or perhaps JV2080 etc but it's just full of very dull inexpressive sounds IMHO.
    I would look elsewhere if I were you.
    -----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Quote Originally Posted by croftish
    Myself and one of my colleagues have been completely underwhelmed by Colossus. I've actually only used it once in about a 18 months.
    I was hoping for something more inspiring, more along the lines of my old Korg Triton Workstation, or perhaps JV2080 etc but it's just full of very dull inexpressive sounds IMHO.
    I would look elsewhere if I were you.
    Im always reading reviews on a product and getting feed back from people. So far this forum is the only forum where I have got bad feed back about Colossus. They are coming out with Goliath(the Colossus upgrade) maybe that will be better. What Im looking for is a all in one package. I wish I could buy seperate software for each instrument, but I cant. So I guess my question is , is there any other all in one packages that any of you know of?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Go Back to forum