• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Dark Night-Strad and GPO-New Host

Share/Bookmark

The Dark Night-Strad and GPO-New Host

Hi everyone,

I posted this before, but few people seemed to be able to access the mp3 file. I loaded it up on box.net, so hopefully now people can get to it. Here is the link: http://www.box.net/shared/fbi7xgco4k.

Here is my info about the piece from my original thread:

Quote Originally Posted by sharkbat
    The piece is called "The Dark Night" and was a project for my Music Theory 2 class. The assignment was to come up with a piece in any key for solo instrument and piano using every diatonic chord at least once, and at least 4 of the 5 qualities of seveth chords.

I used the strad for the violin and the GPO Steinway piano for the piano, recorded in Sonar Home Studio 6.
    Comments are welcome!

--Richard

Re: The Dark Night-Strad and GPO-New Host

Richard

Regardless of the theory behind it, I think you have a fine piece here.

It does seem to follow a predictable pattern, but that is because of what you had to do. I have never studied theory in a school setting and sometimes wish that I had, but once you get away from 'do this and do that' and get out on your own, you seem to have what it takes.

Well done

Ron

Thanks for listening! And thank you for taking the time to post a response!

--Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Richard

Regardless of the theory behind it, I think you have a fine piece here.

It does seem to follow a predictable pattern, but that is because of what you had to do. I have never studied theory in a school setting and sometimes wish that I had, but once you get away from 'do this and do that' and get out on your own, you seem to have what it takes.

Well done

Ron

An interesting starting point (the "specification"); but I'm
    generally of the opinion that constraints often serve well
    to focus the writing. Very much the case, here, Richard,
    in this lovely, somber piece.

Much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    An interesting starting point (the "specification"); but I'm
    generally of the opinion that constraints often serve well
    to focus the writing. Very much the case, here, Richard,
    in this lovely, somber piece.

Much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David, for the comments, especially coming from you! Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

--Richard

Hi, Richard "Sharkbat" - Really good deal that you're using Box now. The Windows Media file sounds really good. MP3s of course work well at Box too, and stream unlike WMAs, so that's also an option.

I enjoyed hearing the results of this assignment. Best is that you developed such a good melody over the chords you had to work with. That's the stuff of composition, indeed - well done!

Randy B.

Nice piece, nice chords and nice melody. Only that Strad is just playing right in my face, while the piano is a bit further away. For a coming piece just watch this and listen carefully with monitors. Why such sadness in this piece?

Thank you for posting,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Richard "Sharkbat" - Really good deal that you're using Box now. The Windows Media file sounds really good. MP3s of course work well at Box too, and stream unlike WMAs, so that's also an option.

I enjoyed hearing the results of this assignment. Best is that you developed such a good melody over the chords you had to work with. That's the stuff of composition, indeed - well done!

Randy B.
    Thanks for the nice comments, Randy. The reason it's a .wma file is because that's all I can convert .wav files to without burning to CD first, but I can go back and mix it down to mp3 from sonar HS. I might do that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Nice piece, nice chords and nice melody. Only that Strad is just playing right in my face, while the piano is a bit further away. For a coming piece just watch this and listen carefully with monitors. Why such sadness in this piece?

Thank you for posting,

Raymond
    Thank you Raymond. I don't have the money for studio monitors since I'm still in High School and I don't have room to put them anywhere anyway. Right now I use decent computer speakers which are not ideal, but they usually work pretty well. I didn't spend a whole lot of time with the mix, that's also something I'll go back and touch up later.

As for why the sadness, that was simply the melody that came to me once I had the chords down. A lot of what I write has a somewhat dark character to it, although I do write the occasional "happy" piece .

Thanks everyone for the comments so far!

--Richard

Go Back to forum