• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Smiles of a summer night - Bergman Memorial

Share/Bookmark

Smiles of a summer night - Bergman Memorial

Smiles of a summer night - Bergman Memorial.

Got inspired to write some music that I have have named after Bergman's movie "Smiles of a summer night - 1955.

4 minutes long

plot:

Fredrik is a lawyer in Sweden at the turn of the century, who lives with a very young wife, and son, as well as a house maid. After Fredrik visits his ex mistress, and has a quarrel with her lover-friend, she invites them, and their family to her mothers estate for a quirky night with quite a few surprises and revelations of everyone's true feelings. As everyone starts to feel helpless with their lovers, the film ends in a great spirit reminiscent of classical comedy.

mp3 - 4 minutes long:http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6090509

about Cannes festival 1955: http://worldfilm.about.com/od/scandi...sofasummer.htm

nice pictures from 1955 http://www.geocities.com/cine_sueco/...una_noche.html

buy "Smiles of a summer night dream" http://www.oldies.com/product-view/28434M.html

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

(for those who have more time to listen)
    http://www.youngcomposers.com/forum/...net-11873.html

Enjoy
    Fredrik
    Last edited by Fredrik; 01-07-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: add text

Where did you go?

Hey Fredrik,

First off, great thematic control. Enjoyably repetitive with masterful variations and transition material to keep interest. Very "upbeat" with plenty of surprises like the Xylophone. (<--- ?) Also great use of percussion with the lightest hint of "country bumpkin" sentiment.
    Great ending as well!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Cool Marimba challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hey Fredrik,

First off, great thematic control. Enjoyably repetitive with masterful variations and transition material to keep interest. Very "upbeat" with plenty of surprises like the Xylophone. (<--- ?) Also great use of percussion with the lightest hint of "country bumpkin" sentiment.
    Great ending as well!

Michael
    Hi Michael!

Had a lot of fun playing around with the marimba . I've never composed anything as fast as that before

Fredrik

Re: Smiles of a summer night - Bergman Memorial

Hi, Fredrik

What a fantastic thing to get inspiration from - the great Bergman film.

And you have composed a wonderfully detailed, dramatic piece full of your love and passion for what you're doing. I think it's divine.

Hats off to you for an excellent creation!

Randy B.

Cool Re: Smiles of a summer night - Bergman Memorial

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Fredrik

What a fantastic thing to get inspiration from - the great Bergman film.

And you have composed a wonderfully detailed, dramatic piece full of your love and passion for what you're doing. I think it's divine.

Hats off to you for an excellent creation!

Randy B.
    I'm glad you enjoyed my witty piece, Randy!

The movie was so fun and absurd that I had to transform it to notes!

Fredrik

Boy, lots of energy here. I know you worked hard on this. I bet this would be great to use with a broadcasting of the film.

I saw many of Bergman's films years ago when the local public channel had a Bergman festival but I'm not sure if I saw this one. Hearing the inspiration it has given you I'll have to check it out.

Phil

Fredrik

Another great piece from you. Just one drawback...When it first started I had to quickly turn down the volume. There is no distortion that I can tell from the volume...just loud on my ears.

Other than that it is up to your usual high standards.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Fredrik

Another great piece from you. Just one drawback...When it first started I had to quickly turn down the volume. There is no distortion that I can tell from the volume...just loud on my ears.

Other than that it is up to your usual high standards.

Ron
    Hi Rolifer,

Yes, I know it's a loud recording. Next time I post a loud piece, I will have a warning sign that says: "Watch out, loud music!"

When I listen to other composer's music I usually start from low volume, then I turn it up gradually, adjusting the levels

Thanks for listening!
    Fredrik

Cool Re: Smiles of a summer night - Bergman Memorial

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    Boy, lots of energy here. I know you worked hard on this. I bet this would be great to use with a broadcasting of the film.

I saw many of Bergman's films years ago when the local public channel had a Bergman festival but I'm not sure if I saw this one. Hearing the inspiration it has given you I'll have to check it out.

Phil
    Hi again Fastlane,

"Smiles of a Summer night" is actually the movie that made Bergman famous.

It was in the 50s and he was sitting on his toilet seat in Sweden as he read his newspaper saying: "Big success for new unknown filmdirector from the North!". It was in Cannes and with this movie the whole world was at his feet!

Enjoy the movie and thanks for listening!
    Fredrik

I never could make heads nor tails out of that Bergman
    film; and I still can't, even when you give me a printed
    synopsis... lol.

But what a great piece! A wild, exciting ride that really
    holds the listener's attention, throughout... tremendous
    energy, considerable complexity in places -- yet beautifully
    managed, controlled, and directed, throughout.

Much applause!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast