• Register
  • Help

Topic: New stuff in Kontakt Player 2.2.x

Share/Bookmark

New stuff in Kontakt Player 2.2.x

I've just installed this and I must say I like the new concept, allowing me, among other things, to combine instruments from GPO and JABB in the one instrument set. It would be nice if the new player came with some half-decent documentation though! I'm gradually figuring things out, but a couple of puzzles (at least) remain:

1 Of course it's great to be able to use all 16 MIDI channels instead of just 8 as previously. However, the player can in theory handle up to 64, and I can't see how to do this when using it as a plug-in in DP - is it possible, or will I just have use more instances if I want to go beyond 16?

2 This one's just a cosmetic oddity. Why do some of the instruments I load (eg, Flute Solo NV) have an orange background with the nice GPO graphic and 'GPO' for the instrument icon, and others (eg, Alto Flute Solo) have a plain grey background with no graphic and the blue 'new' icon?

And for that matter (2a, if you like), should I not be able to select my own instrument icons from the tools window? That doesn't seem to work.

Re: New stuff in Kontakt Player 2.2.x

Hey csansom!
    Quote Originally Posted by csansom
    1 Of course it's great to be able to use all 16 MIDI channels instead of just 8 as previously. However, the player can in theory handle up to 64, and I can't see how to do this when using it as a plug-in in DP - is it possible, or will I just have use more instances if I want to go beyond 16?
    Nope, you're limited to 16 channels per instance. What this 64-slot ability lets you do, however, is assign multiple instruments to a single channel to play simultaneously. It's not a common method, but it's an option.

2 This one's just a cosmetic oddity. Why do some of the instruments I load (eg, Flute Solo NV) have an orange background with the nice GPO graphic and 'GPO' for the instrument icon, and others (eg, Alto Flute Solo) have a plain grey background with no graphic and the blue 'new' icon?
    That's a bug related to loading the skins in Kontakt 2, Kontakt Player 2, and from what I've heard, K3 as well. There is a workaround, and offhand I believe it involves either reloading the instrument or all instruments in that 16-slot set. The skin bug will not affect performance in any way.

And for that matter (2a, if you like), should I not be able to select my own instrument icons from the tools window? That doesn't seem to work.
    In Kontakt 2, yes. In Kontakt Player 2 you are limited to what the library designers have programmed. Funny that you're given that screen though. It might apply if you resave the patch.

Hope this is of some assistance!

Reegs

Re: New stuff in Kontakt Player 2.2.x

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Nope, you're limited to 16 channels per instance.
    That's rather what I suspected, but it's as well to know for sure - thanks.

What this 64-slot ability lets you do, however, is assign multiple instruments to a single channel to play simultaneously. It's not a common method, but it's an option.
    Ah - interesting (and kind of obvious, now you mention it!). I'll bear that in mind.

That's a bug related to loading the skins... The skin bug will not affect performance in any way.
    As long as I know that, that's fine.

In Kontakt 2, yes. In Kontakt Player 2 you are limited to what the library designers have programmed. Funny that you're given that screen though. It might apply if you resave the patch.
    Not that it matters a jot, of course!

Hope this is of some assistance!
    It certainly is - you've answered all my questions most succinctly - thanks again!

Go Back to forum