• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please advice: GPO + what

Share/Bookmark

Please advice: GPO + what

I am a violinist trying to compose music for the first time. Recently I bought GPO under the impression that Overture SE is included in GPO. I learned that Overture SE is not even available in the website for download. Since I cannot play keyboard, my only option to create music is though notation software. Could anyone in this forum guide me which version (PrintMusic, Allegro etc.) of Finale is required for me to use GPO? Do I need to buy any other DAW?

Since I am a newbie, I don’t want to invest a lot on tools in the beginning. I just want to create a few mp3s to understand my capability. Please advise me on the options available to me.

Thanks
    Danie

Re: Please advice: GPO + what

Danie,

The full version of Finale can integrate GPO directly into it. I'm not sure if you can load GPO into Allegro/Print Music.

Since notation programs appeal to different people, download the demos for Finale and Sibelius. They have different strengths and weaknesses. (and the demos for Allegro/Print Music if you like.)

See if you prefer one over another. Or perhaps you might have a friend who uses a notation program. If you do, you might have a little personal support system there.

Take your time, this is a lot of new info to learn.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. The full version of Finale seems to come with GPO. I think I made a bad decision.

Do I need any other DAW (like Sonar etc) to mix and to create mp3? Or If I buy any of these DAW instead of Finale, would I be able to enter notation?

Thanks
    Danie

Finale comes with a subset of GPO - not all of it.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Quote Originally Posted by JJDanie
    Thanks Jeff. The full version of Finale seems to come with GPO. I think I made a bad decision.

Do I need any other DAW (like Sonar etc) to mix and to create mp3? Or If I buy any of these DAW instead of Finale, would I be able to enter notation?

Thanks
    Danie
    Hello Danie,

I use Finale 2008 with the full GPO.

You have not made a bad decision at all. Finale does indeed come with a version of GPO but this is not the full GPO. The Finale version of GPO contains some of the GPO patches; you are better off with the full version really.

Some members of our community use only Finale and GPO to create their recordings. On the other hand many of our members use GPO with a DAW such as Sonar. Personally, I create my scores in Finale then create a MIDI file from my score to open in Sonar 7 for fine tuning my performance and recording so I have the best of both worlds.

Most DAWS do have a notation feature but these are rather primitive compared to the features of a dedicated notation editor such as Finale. Some people do find that the notation features of their DAW are enough for their needs but this wouldn't be the case for myself having used Finale for many years.

I hope this has been of some help.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Hello Danie,

I use Finale 2008 with the full GPO.

You have not made a bad decision at all. Finale does indeed come with a version of GPO but this is not the full GPO. The Finale version of GPO contains some of the GPO patches; you are better off with the full version really.

Some members of our community use only Finale and GPO to create their recordings. On the other hand many of our members use GPO with a DAW such as Sonar. Personally, I create my scores in Finale then create a MIDI file from my score to open in Sonar 7 for fine tuning my performance and recording so I have the best of both worlds.

Most DAWS do have a notation feature but these are rather primitive compared to the features of a dedicated notation editor such as Finale. Some people do find that the notation features of their DAW are enough for their needs but this wouldn't be the case for myself having used Finale for many years.

I hope this has been of some help.
    This really helped me Michael. Thanks a lot. I'll start by downlaoding Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by JJDanie
    This really helped me Michael. Thanks a lot. I'll start by downlaoding Sonar
    Glad I was of some help.

Just an after thought. If you really do wish to go the notation way I wonder if the notation feature in sonar will meet your needs as it is rather limited. By all means give it a test drive and see how it goes.

From your original post it seems to me that a good notation editor might serve your needs better. I fully agree with Jeff and try all the demo versions first.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Glad I was of some help.

Just an after thought. If you really do wish to go the notation way I wonder if the notation feature in sonar will meet your needs as it is rather limited. By all means give it a test drive and see how it goes.

From your original post it seems to me that a good notation editor might serve your needs better. I fully agree with Jeff and try all the demo versions first.

Good luck.
    I agree. To me the cost of full version of Finale is on the high side. That is the reason I want to try Sonar first.

I am currently using Finale Notepad. It can save as a midi file. I’ll try loading the midi file in Sonar and play it with GPO. Do you think it would work?
    Thanks
    Danie

Hi Danie

You can always turn to the other option (the dark side?) of entering the notes in your DAW with a mouse.

Quite a few of us here do it that way.

If you're looking to use notation then I could also recommend Overture4 which is a wonderful software that combines both notation and basic but very powerful sequencing abilities. It is about half the price of the full version of Finale or Sonar. It also integrates fully with GPO and all other Garritan libraries. I use both Finale and Overture4 and I have to say for rendering VERY realistic music with GPO right from your score, Overture4 comes out top. I too am a notation person and sequencers make me very uneasy.....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum