• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music for Strings and Harp/ Oboe and Orchestra using Vienna Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Music for Strings and Harp/ Oboe and Orchestra using Vienna Instruments

Hi Everybody,

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism or feedback relating to the music and it's performance with these compositions.

The links below take you to the SibeliusMusic page with the score, To listen, you just click on "Listen to MP3" on the blue button at the near top right hand side of the page, and listen through the player, or you can download the mp3 from a link at the bottom of the page. [Sorry, but you will have to copy and paste the link into your browser. I am not sure how to create a direct link].

Prelude for Oboe and Orchestra

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...scoreid=117164

Song Without Words for Strings and Harp

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...scoreid=117165

Medieval Fanfare for Brass and Orchestra

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...scoreid=117166

Thanks for any feedback for these.

best,

Steve

Re: Music for Strings and Harp/ Oboe and Orchestra using Vienna Instruments

I just listened to the oboe stuff : nice theme, it's a kind of variation on Tchaikosvsky's Swan Lake.

The sound is great though the Horns are a little bit too brassy (for me) and there is absolutely no rubato in your sequencing ( sounds very mechanical). While the violins sound great on sustain, the runs in the high register are still synthe ( which developper will solve this problem ?).

There is a couple of harmonic conflicts between the violins and horns : for instance the first one is a B natural by the horns and a C by the violins.

Thank you for sharing,

Alex

HI, Steve.
    I liked the second piece. It also reminded me of old Russian movies I watched in my childhood. I also like the way you orchestrated the pieces so they don't sound entirely homophonic.
    If I were you I would pay more attention to the reverb. Some tracks might be lacking it, especially harp and chelesta.
    Which VI's did you use?

Hi Sicmu and el-russo,

thanks for taking the time to listen.

There actually was some rubato in the tempo track, but it was very small, as I was worried that it may sound a bit too rubato. But, I'll go back and have another go, and see if I can loosen up the tempo track a bit more, as I think you have a very valid point there.

Sicmu, from my score, there is no conflict of notes between the horns and strings in the Prelude for Oboe and Orchestra, but are you meaning the Fanfare piece instead?

thanks again for the feedback,

best,

Steve M,

Quote Originally Posted by steve martin
    Hi Sicmu and el-russo,

thanks for taking the time to listen.

There actually was some rubato in the tempo track, but it was very small, as I was worried that it may sound a bit too rubato. But, I'll go back and have another go, and see if I can loosen up the tempo track a bit more, as I think you have a very valid point there.

Sicmu, from my score, there is no conflict of notes between the horns and strings in the Prelude for Oboe and Orchestra, but are you meaning the Fanfare piece instead?

thanks again for the feedback,

best,

Steve M,
    I meant half way, the Horns move from F# to B nat while the violins go to C from A#, I agree that this A-7 chord include a C and the Horns stay very briefly on B but this ackward move from A# to C sounds just bad to my ears, even more with the Horns on a B nat at the same time, I agree that is only a detail and it's the only place that bothers me, but overall it's a nice piece.

Hi Sicmu,

Well, now you've given me some details, I'll have to find the place in the score. You'd think that as I composed it, I should be able to find it in my head without looking for it.

Well, I'm glad you mentioned the tempo thing. It was actually my biggest worry.
    As the score was created in a notation program, you have to do a lot of work to get it to sound lifelike with controllers etc, but the tempo is the killer when you come from creating it in a notation program.

Well, I went back into the score in cubase, and I actually did have quite a bit of manipulation of the tempo track, but not enough to make the big difference.
    Well, I worked for a few hours in trying to work out how to make this process work which is under the title "Merge Tempo from Tapping" from the cubase manual.
    I finally got myself going with this method, and I'm pretty impressed by the results. It still sits about the same tempo, but sounds much more natural and easy flowing to my ears now.
    I just have to remix it in cubase again, and I'll repost the link.

As for playing things straight into cubase, I did try this with a simple piece, and yeow - what a mess. Maybe it's because I have a keyboard that is not fully weighted. So that's why I tend to like using a notation program first - at least the notes all hit down together!
    OK, back to work, and I'll repost it and look forward to some more feedback from you.

thanks,

Steve M

Go Back to forum