• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Synchrosoft licensing procedure?

Share/Bookmark

Synchrosoft licensing procedure?

I've got GVI installed and Sonar will see it but not run it until I get the dongle licensed. In the licensing procedure, there is an Authorization Number required but no mention of where this number can be found or who provides it. How do I get this !@#$ dongle licensed so I can get on with my work?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Re: Synchrosoft licensing procedure?

Companies who use the Syncrosoft eLicenser USB Key (dongle) technology provide the license in one of two ways:
    1. ship the product with a USB key with the license physically installed on the key
    2. ship the product with an Authorization Code that is used to download a license onto a key

The Syncrosoft License Control Center (LCC) application is the "brains" of the Syncrosoft protection system. It is also used to download licenses or tranfer licenses from one USB key to another. Normally this LCC software is part of the installer used for the regular software.

I believe Tascam GVI ships with a the eLicenser (the USB dongle) in the box.
    Did the Tascam GVI product come with a Syncrosoft USB dongle? If so, the license is on the dongle. There is no suchactivity as "getting a dongle licensed".

I would suggest downloading and installing the most current version of the LCC application:
    http://www.syncrosoft.com/License_Co...ter-78-11.html

When you have the dongle (eLicenser) plugged into a USB port and you run the LCC, the LCC application should display all licenses that are on that USB key. Can you see the GVI license on the USB key?

It should look like this:

I think it's possible for Tascam to have sent an eLicencer without the license on it, but with an authorization code inside the case (possibly on a label within the case...?).

Have a look for a 32-character code somewhere inside your packaging. That and the LCC should do it.

Good Luck,
    Belbin

It's also described in the manual:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/i-768-232-128-0-9BB0ECF6.pdf

And there's a video, but I haven't watched it...could be useful. Bottom link at:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/details;9,7,51,19.html

Belbin

I found my mistake. I didn't have the dongle installed/recognized correctly by Windows XP. Once I accidentally achieved that, everything else fell into place. Thanks for the pointers, though. I probably wouldn't have been successful without them.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin
    I found my mistake. I didn't have the dongle installed/recognized correctly by Windows XP. Once I accidentally achieved that, everything else fell into place. Thanks for the pointers, though. I probably wouldn't have been successful without them.
    One additional point. I have my Syncrosoft key plugged into a USB Hub, and sometimes the dongle appears to lose its connection with my computer. I find this out when I try to launch one of the programs like GVI and get the "license not found" message.

To verify the dongle is "seen" by Windows, you can always launch the LCC application (I have a shortcut on my desktop for it). If it displays "no licenses found", just unplug the USB key, re-insert it, then "refresh" the LCC view.

If the LCC application can "see" your license, the associated music software will be able to see it.

After I finally got it all set up, it turns out that, as far as I can tell, my Emu soundcard (1212M) and either the Synchrosoft dongle really or a fully activated GVI DO NOT get along at all. I was completely unable to work in Sonar with the dongle installed, even after everything was licensed, verified, etc. Previously, GVI was installed but not seen by Sonar because of the lack of dongle authorization. My option is to either replace the sound card, which I hate to do because it works so well otherwise, or turn to the dark side and get a hacked copy of GVI to bypass the dongle, or both.

To be clear I do have a fully legal retail product that I have paid for. However, as with Giga 3, at this point, I have another Giga product that I can't use on my single computer and I'm not going to the trouble of setting up a second machine.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin
    After I finally got it all set up, it turns out that, as far as I can tell, my Emu soundcard (1212M) and either the Synchrosoft dongle really or a fully activated GVI DO NOT get along at all. I was completely unable to work in Sonar with the dongle installed, even after everything was licensed, verified, etc. Previously, GVI was installed but not seen by Sonar because of the lack of dongle authorization. My option is to either replace the sound card, which I hate to do because it works so well otherwise, or turn to the dark side and get a hacked copy of GVI to bypass the dongle, or both.

To be clear I do have a fully legal retail product that I have paid for. However, as with Giga 3, at this point, I have another Giga product that I can't use on my single computer and I'm not going to the trouble of setting up a second machine.
    I'm clear on that. I understand completely and I think it stinks!

I've seen it before, and I've also suffered a $500 loss due to a dongle misshap. I wonder how many people have bought dongle-based products and never used them? I'd imagine at least 5% of ex-customers walk away in frustration after a dose of belligerance from those publishers who continue to perpetrate ill-will toward their customer base.

I really hope you can resolve your problems. Frankly, I don't know why anyone subjects themselves to dongle-based software. As the system currently stands, the risks are run entirely by the customer. It's a lose/win situation and in my opinion, no product is worth entering into a one-sided business relationship. If we just say no to dongle-based software, it will go away.

OK, that's enough preaching from me. I do wish you the best of luck in getting this resolved.

regards,

--kwgm

I don't know any professionals who don't have at least one dongle. I've had zero problems in both of my studios, and I have both Syncrosoft and iLok protected products. If I chose not to use dongle protected products, then my working days would be much longer and less successful. I would also have a much smaller bank balance. :>)

However, it is all about choice, so if someone chooses not to use a product that has a dongle then that's up to them.

D

I'm not sure if the problem is dongle related or GVI related. With GVI installed, but without the dongle activated, Sonar ran just fine. Once the dongle was activated, and therefore GVI became "visible" to my system, Sonar crashed repeatedly. As I said, logically, it's one or the other, or both. I'm about to have to buy another sound card to find out. This does not make me a satisfied customer.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Go Back to forum