• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Question About Midi Pops And Clicks

Share/Bookmark

A Question About Midi Pops And Clicks

For some reason Im getting pops and clicks(when using midi) when I keep my buffer size low. Would it be better for me to move all my files to a external HD? Would that able me to keep my buffer size low and work with no pops and clicks?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Re: A Question About Midi Pops And Clicks

what buffersize are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Plus
    For some reason Im getting pops and clicks(when using midi) when I keep my buffer size low. Would it be better for me to move all my files to a external HD? Would that able me to keep my buffer size low and work with no pops and clicks?
    The lower the buffer size, the more clicks but the more latency EDIT no, the less latency. This applies to all systems but the sweet spot differs, mostly according to the sound card. RME and Creamware have a good reputation here among others. Other factors are the general computer speed and then HD speed, but that is only the bottleneck with many paralelly streamed tracks. So an external HD will most probably not help too much.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    The lower the buffer size, the more clicks but the more latency.
    The lower the buffer size, the more clicks but the less latency.

In a word, No.

OK, first I must point out that we're not talking about MIDI buffer size here, rather, we're talking one or more of the audio buffers.

Since you mention MIDI, I imagine you're having trouble playing a MIDI file, or playing along with your MIDI file? Without knowing your setup, and what you're trying to do, I can't answer specific questions, but typcially, disk drives are not fast enough to supply audio data to your sound card without buffering.

A buffer is just an area of memory that brings the audio data closer to where it's needed, ie, the computer soundcard. Since memory is, in general 1000 times faster than other computer I/O, the buffer sits between the data source, whether it is a sound file on disk or a real-time data stream coming from your MIDI keyboard, and feeds it to the soundcard as needed in real time, so that you don't hear an interruption in the sound during playback or performance.

That's what those pops and clicks are--an interruption in the audio stream that's feeding your audio card or whatever is driving the speakers, and when you hear this noise, it's one indication that your audio buffer is sized too small and running dry prematurely.

Note that bottlenecks on the consumer side of an audio stream can also cause audio noise, ie, those dreaded clicks and pops. For instance, if you try to run too many simultaneous streams into an audio processor you'll get hear a similar effect.

As long as your buffer is set to something less 5-10 msec worth of data, you'll not have trouble with latency, ie, a missmatch between the time you play a note on your midi keyboard, and the time you hear it from your monitors after it passes through your audio processor.

Now, 5 to 10 msec of digital music depends entirely on the sample rate and resolution. At a typical 44.1Khz, 16-bit audio setup, you're making 16-bits of audio data each 1/44.1K of a second.

You can do the math if you like, but if you don't want to, and I sure don't, then take my word that if you set your buffer size so that it handles 256 samples, you're probably going to get rid of your clicks and pops, and not have a noticable amount of latency while playing. Of course, adjust one way or the other to taste.

Good luck.

--kwgm

Quote Originally Posted by zeruyo
    The lower the buffer size, the more clicks but the less latency.
    Oops -- yes of course. That was what I meant ...

To mention some numbers: I have RME Hammerfall cards (the older models) and use 512 or 256 samples (12 ms or 6 ms) for recording and 512 or 1024 ms (12 ms or 23 ms) for mixing.

If I want to record very time-critical tracks like percussion or rhythmic piano I reduce the buffer to 128 or even to 64 (3 ms or 1.5) but only if there is not much other playback at that time. And I will ignore pops and cracks just during that take.

With other words 512 samples is my standard, and if I feel it is too loose for some instruments I will reduce it on an individual basis, and if the project gets into mixing stage I will increase it.

Go Back to forum